News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 05:12:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Should I leave them a housewarming gift?  (Read 2232 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Should I leave them a housewarming gift?
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:21:11 PM »
(bg)So, my much loved Mom died about 14 months ago. Life has been a whirlwind since then, most importantly taking care of my Dad. He is a very young 76 and decided to move to an apartment. The family home has recently sold. We are all happy about the sale and are looking forward to a bright future. (/bg)

I feel compelled to leave a note in the house for the new owners before the closing. I'd like to leave a little note that says something like:

"Congratulations on your new home! We spent many happy years growing up here and wish you much happiness! This house holds a lot of great karma!" I've also considered leaving a small housewarming gift as well-maybe a plant?

Would that be cool or weird? It's an emotional thing for me, for sure, but I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable, either. Thoughts?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Should I leave them a housewarming gift?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 11:08:25 PM »
I think it's a nice idea.    We once moved into a house where the owner had left a bottle of wine and a note saying how much she had loved living there and she hoped we would love the home and the neighbourhood as much as she had - it felt very pleasant and welcoming.    :-)

I'm not sure about the bit about karma though, saying the house holds a lot of great karma might sound a bit off to some people.   Perhaps reword so it's slightly less intense?  Something like:

"Congratulations on your new home! We spent many happy years growing up here and we hope you enjoy it as much as we did!"
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

turtleIScream

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 11:11:09 PM »
I like the idea of a note and small gift, but not sure I'd go with something living like a plant (that could just be my black thumb talking, though.) When we sold our house, we left a gift card to the local pizza place, and a gift card to Lowes. My vote, not weird.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Alicia

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 06:27:25 AM »
Note is awesome. 
My previous owners left me a few pages of info and it was the best. It contained phone numbers for the best local pizza and Chinese food info on trash pick up days who the best local mechanics in case case breakdown. Plumbers electrician and tree people recommendations. Info on when the local farmers market and festivals are ect. It was so so useful. Just an idea. Free but so kind.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:07:16 PM by Alicia »

Luci

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 07:47:14 AM »
I do like a list of service people who had worked on the house and explanation of some peculiarities about the house, and of course manuals for appliances. A welcome and enjoy note is nice.

When it gets to the point of karma and the joy that has been in the home and how much it was loved, I start feeling intrusive and kind of creeped out. Kind of like when Sam and Diane were buying the house on "Cheers!" I can feel if it has been happy and really don't need to be told about it.

Mustard

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:56:25 AM »
It's a nice idea, but I too would leave out the 'karma' part.

(When we sold our last house - a long time ago - I got a call from the estate agent we used.  I had cleaned the house to within an inch of its life and the agent was passing on thanks from the new owners which I thought was kind.)

HoneyBee42

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »
Note is awesome. 
My previous owners left me a few pages of info and it was the best. It contained phone numbers for the beat local pizza and Chinese food info on trash pick up days who the best local mechanics in case case breakdown. Plumbers electrician and tree people recommendations. Info on when the local farmers market and festivals are ect. It was so so useful. Just an idea. Free but so kind.
I agree--a note with a few bits of info like that would be very nice.  I was fortunate to have an aunt who lives in town here who could show me around to all those sorts of things.

I do agree with others about the 'karma' bit, it just feels a little off to me (maybe because karma is a concept that doesn't completely mesh with my own beliefs).  Something more neutral like "Hope you have much happiness and joy in your new home" might be better.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 08:38:48 AM »
My sister bought a house about 22 years ago which came with kitchen appliances.  When she opened the fridge, there was a bottle of champagne, some apples and oranges, and a huge chocolate bar.

She speaks fondly of that gift even now.

rose red

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:15 AM »
I agree to leave the "karma" out of it. The rest is nice though. Maybe a vase with flowers instead of a plant? That way it's not something they need to take care of if they are not into that.

Luci

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 11:37:53 AM »
My sister bought a house about 22 years ago which came with kitchen appliances.  When she opened the fridge, there was a bottle of champagne, some apples and oranges, and a huge chocolate bar.

Instead of the note about happiness, how about a bakery cake that says, " Welcome Home."

By the way: hope your dad enjoys his new situation.that is quite a change.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:42:00 AM by Luci »

SamiHami

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »
Oh, I like the idea of giving them a list of local places they might enjoy. I believe they are moving here from many states away so that would be very useful. I will leave out the karma part and just wish them happiness in their new home.

And there is a specialty cookie that is unique to my city. I will pick up a package of those to leave for them instead of a plant.

Thank you for the great feedback! I can always count on EHell to steer me in the right direction.

sandisadie

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »
I like the idea of leaving a small housewarming gift too.  I always do that and also leave all the paperwork pertaining to the appliances, etc in a nice folder on the kitchen counter with a note, as others have said, about businesses I have used for service, etc.  If there are any little quirks about the house I try to remember to include that also.  I don't include anything bad, just something unusual, like, one time there was an electrical outlet hidden in an almost inaccessible place which contained a GFCI.  We had gone for a few days without being able to find it and finally had to call an electrician to get one of our circuits working and he found it.

SamiHami

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »

Instead of the note about happiness, how about a bakery cake that says, " Welcome Home."

By the way: hope your dad enjoys his new situation.that is quite a change.

Thanks. He's doing so much better since he moved in April. Staying in the house was just too depressing for him; everywhere he looked was another reminder that Mom is gone (plus she died in the kitchen/breakfast area. Hard to get that image out of your head). It was far too much house for one person (actually, for two people but Mom loved it there). Now he has an apartment that I swear was made for him. Great layout, everything new, in a very nice, well kept complex and it's near my house so i see him all the time. I think once the closing is over at the end of the month he'll be even happier. He sort of sees that as the end of his "formal" mourning period. Not that he'll ever stop loving Mom, but he sees it as a chance for a fresh start and an opportunity to build a happy life again.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »
Just wanted to chime in. I've done that before when I left an apartment that was provided by my school and there would be a new teacher moving in. I think your idea is very sweet and I'd personally love to get a little note like that :)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 06:27:18 PM »
I just moved.  I left all the appliance manuals and some take out menus and a note with details on the house - like the year the windows were replaced, the year the siding and roof were done, that kind of thing.  And an 'Enjoy your new home' type message.

I also left a pot of strawberry plants on the front steps because I took most of them with me - they didn't want my plants!  Crazy people...  Saved myself several hundred dollars with some sweat equity.

And I left a bottle of sparkling wine and some wine glasses in the fridge.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario