News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 10:52:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To Iron or Not To Iron?  (Read 9966 times)

Hmmmmm

Re: To Iron or Not To Iron?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 03:42:49 PM »
I read the whole thread, of course, and still stuck on ironing tshirts 😳  Except for dress shirts and old table linens, the iron is for sewing. I kind of like the table linens because it allows me to reflect on the wonderful party.

Anyway, I wouldn't allow my hosts to do our laundry and don't offer to do it for them. It's far too intiment and everyone I know is fairly picky about its being done right.

A couple of years ago I was out on a walk with two friends who were both expats. Something about ironing came up and I gained the knowledge that they both ironed absolutely everything... tshirts, sweatshirts, the exercise pants they were wearing... they even still ironed sheets. They actually removed items from the dryer and ironed them before hanging or folding. One even admitted to occasionally ironing her husband's boxer if they were too wrinkled. I think I spent rest of the walk with my mouth open in astonishment.

Then last month I got to chatting with another friend and ironing came up and she was just completely flummoxed that my ironing board was permanently set up in my bedroom and has been ever since I was an adult living on my own. (I hated having to go to the laundry room to iron growing up because it usually required me putting on clothes) She thought the idea was so unromantic she said she was surprised I had kids. :D We went to a concert last weekend and she brought it up again still just shocked about where my ironing was done. It's all in good fun.

Who knew ironing could lead to such insight about your friends.

Luci

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »
Actually, Lucas and I met and started dating in 1964. I lived in the college dorm and it was a status symbol of sorts when a girl and a guy were that serious. Not unlike Facebook? Most of his shirts needed to be ironed, so I did that. Clothing was a lot more dressy then. I had a lot of my own stuff to iron, anyway. 😀

siamesecat2965

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »

There are different expectations for how people keep a house (and in my experience it runs along generational lines as older people tend to care more about the smaller details than their younger counterparts.  My grandparents and great grandparents would be appalled that I don't iron my sheets and store them in a pillowcase instead of properly folding them.   An etiquette lesson I learned as a kid ('doctorate of the original container' where you never put a condiment, salad dressing, etc on the table in its original container and instead transfer it to a serving dish) has faded from society faster than landline phones have.  Today, most people would not think twice if a bottle of (commercial) salad dressing was on the table and I see it as busy work to be avoided at all costs.

I see you've met my mother. :) Who is 81 and still irons her pillowcases, and likes to put condiments etc. into a nice dish for meals. But she's relaxed on that a bit, and we only really do it for holidays, so maybe a couple times a year.

I joke with her when she says she's ironing her pillowcases, that I'm bringing mine up for her to do :) I will say, when she had her house, and I'd visit, it was very nice to have a freshly ironed, non-wrinkled pillow case on the bed. And every now and again, maybe once a year, I get a bee in my bonnet and iron my own pillowcases. But I think you're right in that its a generational issue; as a 50 year old adult, I don't make my bed because I was forced to do so every day as a child, and hated it. I live alone, so until it bothers me, I refuse to do it. What's funny is my mom won't do her's every day either. And she's the one who made me do it!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »
My sister!  I hate making my bed.  And all I have to do is pull up the sheet and the duvet.  Which I do when I'm using the bed to fold laundry but otherwise?  It's left in a rumple.

When BF was laid off, he was the last one out of the bedroom in the morning.  He always made the bed.  But now that I'm last one out?  Nope.  Not doing it.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

sandisadie

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »
A little off topic - A good friend of mine several years ago had a really beautiful, large home.  She was a lot wealthier then we were and money was no object.  She kept her opened ironing board in the living room most of the time and lots of times when I was there she would get out her ironing.  She ironed everything too.  She told me she loved ironing and it calmed her nerves.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »
siamesecat2965 and Outdoor Girl, I've heard recommendations to air the bedding/mattress to disperse any damp from humans sleeping in it and to prevent dust mites from thriving as much - more than one TV magazine programme has suggested throwing back the bedcovers/duvet for a couple of hours.

OK, my 'couple of hours' last most of the day, but I'm doing my best for mattress/duvet "health"! ;)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

magicdomino

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 02:41:02 PM »
I know where my iron is.  It's in the little closet that's currently blocked by a table.  Now as to whether or not it works . . .    ;)

No, I wouldn't automatically iron.  First off, I haven't ironed clothes since I got rid of everything that needed ironing.  Second, most clothing suitible for stuffing in a suitcase is pretty much wash and wear as long as you don't leave it in the dryer for hours.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 01:52:41 PM »
siamesecat2965 and Outdoor Girl, I've heard recommendations to air the bedding/mattress to disperse any damp from humans sleeping in it and to prevent dust mites from thriving as much - more than one TV magazine programme has suggested throwing back the bedcovers/duvet for a couple of hours.

OK, my 'couple of hours' last most of the day, but I'm doing my best for mattress/duvet "health"! ;)

I've heard that as well. I will admit to making my bed one day last week, but I had friends over who had never seen my apt. And I wanted to make a good impression :)

Chez Miriam

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 01:54:16 PM »

I've heard that as well. I will admit to making my bed one day last week, but I had friends over who had never seen my apt. And I wanted to make a good impression :)

That's a perfectly valid excuse; we'll forgive you that! ;)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

gramma dishes

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 02:42:05 PM »

... and if I was ironing at the time and they wanted a particular t-shirt to wear, for example, I might do it as a one-off favour, but that's all.  ...

In my teeny tiny I'm so ashamed voice:  People actually iron t-shirts?  ???

jazzgirl205

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 07:27:02 PM »
I like freshly ironed clothes (and table linens) and I iron on a regular basis.  It would not occur to me to iron my guests clothes.  Not only that, when visiting friends, I have ironed my clothes while we visited.  I've asked for the iron and board and did the job myself.  I would feel uncomfortable putting such work on my host.  If my host had a servant who ironed regularly and asked if I had anything, I would hand her my clothes but make sure I tipped her.

rose red

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 02:20:44 PM »

... and if I was ironing at the time and they wanted a particular t-shirt to wear, for example, I might do it as a one-off favour, but that's all.  ...

Ironically, the only items I usually iron are the inexpensive tshirts since most are made of cotton and wrinkle so easily. My "nicer" clothes (like work clothes) are virtually wrinkle free so I don't have to take care of them as much as a cheap tshirt.

gramma dishes

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2016, 03:50:07 PM »

Ironically, the only items I usually iron are the inexpensive tshirts since most are made of cotton and wrinkle so easily. My "nicer" clothes (like work clothes) are virtually wrinkle free so I don't have to take care of them as much as a cheap tshirt.

In a million bazillion years it would never have occurred to me to iron a T-shirt.  I just get them out of the dryer as quickly as possible and fold them.   When we first put them on they have fold lines, but only for a few minutes.  Body heat seems to relax those out.

I wonder now if people have been looking at our family and thinking "What's wrong with those people?  Don't they have an iron?"

Erich L-ster

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
I only iron for weddings and funerals. Anything else that's likely to wrinkle and can't be folded gets hung.

miranova

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 07:42:47 PM »
I'm fascinated by the differences among people for things like this.

OP, your husband's assumption that of course you should be ironing the guest's clothing is very interesting to me.  Do you iron all of your clothes before hanging them up/putting them away and that's why he assumed you'd do the same with the guest's clothes?  Or did he just think that it was something you should do simply because they are guests and you are supposed to treat guests better than yourself or something?  No judgment, just curious.

I hate ironing, but a lot of that is that I simply didn't know how to do it properly for a long time, so I have some bad memories of it.  Now I can do it much faster, but I still only iron when I have to.  Only if I would look like a rumpled mess otherwise will I get out an iron.  And I will only iron my own stuff.

My 15 year old son suddenly decided that his appearance is of the utmost importance and brought me a t shirt to iron a few weeks ago.  I said I would iron the first t shirt and only if he would watch to learn how.  I taught him.  Then we bought a 2nd iron and board and put it where he can access it (ours is in our bedroom closet and that's where we iron and he wakes up much earlier than me on school days so we don't really want him in our bedroom that early).  Now he irons his own stuff. 

There was no way I was going to start ironing T shirts for a 15 year old.  (My kids also do their own laundry starting at age 13).