Wedding Bliss and Blues > Paper Trail

STD for just a reception?

(1/8) > >>

o_gal:
TL;DR version - Is it common to send STDs for a reception that is going to be held a few months after the actual wedding? And if you send the STD, should it state that it is for a reception and not a wedding?

I'm trying to figure out what might be going on in a wedding situation. DH's nephew got engaged and told everyone they were planning a fall 2016 wedding. We got a STD postcard for Oct 22. The postcard just says STD, it doesn't actually say wedding or reception. I thought it was a little strange that the couple lives on the west coast but the STD says Cleveland, OH, where the groom grew up. But maybe they decided to get married in Cleveland - the bride's family are mostly in Hong Kong. Maybe it's going to be one US ceremony in Cleveland, another traditional Chinese ceremony in HK.

But a couple of days ago, they posted on Facebook what is most definitely a wedding picture. It's gorgeous - they are standing in the edge of the ocean, in the extremely shallow water, her in a wedding dress and him in a tux, with him leaning over to kiss her hand, with the soft glow of sunset behind them. I am seriously in love with this picture :-) But it's also obvious that either they rented clothing just for the photo shoot (unlikely) or they are doing the after-everything-else-is-done photos. All the comments from their friends are along the lines of "Congratulations!"

There's been no discussion on the family email list about them actually getting married, and the shindig on Oct 22 being just a reception. I have absolutely no problem with this, and it will be fun to just get together and party. It's just that I think the groom's whole family is expecting a wedding. Especially DH, who doesn't yet know - he works out of town during the summer and I haven't shown him the postcard or the Facebook picture. What does everyone think?

gramma dishes:
I presume this is your husband's sister's adult child.  Are you on close terms with her?  If so, I'd just give her a call and ask her! 
If not, your husband may want to do this himself.  But unless one of you asks, I don't see how you're going to get the answer.

HannahGrace:
I guess I am wondering why it matters. The invitation, once you receive it, hopefully will be clear about what is taking place on Oct 22. Save the dates are a relatively recent phenomenon. My impression is they are sent to give an early heads up as to the fact that an event will be taking place. The details of what the event will entail usually come in the invitation.

Luci:

--- Quote from: HannahGrace on July 27, 2016, 09:19:06 AM ---I guess I am wondering why it matters. The invitation, once you receive it, hopefully will be clear about what is taking place on Oct 22. Save the dates are a relatively recent phenomenon. My impression is they are sent to give an early heads up as to the fact that an event will be taking place. The details of what the event will entail usually come in the invitation.

--- End quote ---

This. Just out of cutiosity, are you sure that is the couple or is it a photo gallery shot to decorate the post card?

Hmmmmm:
STD's are to notify you of the date an event will take place. It doesn't matter what the event is. You now know the date they plan to either have a wedding or a local reception in honor of their marriage. Once the invite arrives, you can make the decision if you want to attend.

I can see how someone might wanting more details if they could foresee a conflict. For instance you and your DH had tentatively planned to go out of town that weekend but would change your plans to attend a wedding. But for some reason a reception only event doesn't rate as high on your scale of priorities so you'd keep your travel plans if it was a reception only. If that's the case then I'd give a call to another in the know relative and ask.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version