News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: STD for just a reception?  (Read 6749 times)

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: STD for just a reception?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 04:45:11 PM »
Receiving the invitation after the RSVP date is a clear indication that the OP was B-listed.

I'll hopefully be planning a wedding within the next two years.  I will not be sending STDs.  But I will be talking to the people who are most important for BF and I to have at the wedding to make sure we plan for a time they will be able to attend.  And then the invitations will go out about 12 weeks in advance, longer if we plan for prime summer season when hotels are at a premium.

There will be no B-list.

POD.

There is no way that this is not rude.

I don't understand why this is rude  ???.  Can you explain?
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »
I think she was referring to my first line - that the invite was received after the RSVP date.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »
o-gal, this may be too late for you.  But if the bride is from HK, it's very common for Chinese couples to take their pictures in their wedding finery a few weeks before the actual wedding.  Some couples rent clothes while others make sure their wedding clothes are finished before these pictures at taken.  Often these photos are also displayed at the wedding.  So the photos that you saw may not mean that the couple is already married.  They may have just taken these pictures early. 

o_gal

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 07:06:35 AM »
But a couple of days ago, they posted on Facebook what is most definitely a wedding picture. It's gorgeous - they are standing in the edge of the ocean, in the extremely shallow water, her in a wedding dress and him in a tux, with him leaning over to kiss her hand, with the soft glow of sunset behind them. I am seriously in love with this picture :-) But it's also obvious that either they rented clothing just for the photo shoot (unlikely) or they are doing the after-everything-else-is-done photos. All the comments from their friends are along the lines of "Congratulations!"

o-gal, this may be too late for you.  But if the bride is from HK, it's very common for Chinese couples to take their pictures in their wedding finery a few weeks before the actual wedding.  Some couples rent clothes while others make sure their wedding clothes are finished before these pictures at taken.  Often these photos are also displayed at the wedding.  So the photos that you saw may not mean that the couple is already married.  They may have just taken these pictures early.

StuffedGrapeLeaves nailed it, along with my original wondering if they had rented the clothes.

The bride's family is actually Taiwanese (they had talked about going to HK at one point so that's where I thought her family was from), and the B&G went there in April for a photo shoot, among other things. They had 24 hours with a photographer, stylist, driver, etc. They went to many different places, and were able to change into different outfits. Groom said he had his choice of 10 tuxes, and Bride had about 20 different dresses she could wear. They had a blast, and it only cost about $1,000 US.

They are doing multiple weddings, which we asked the Groom about. This was the first one, with a California wedding coming up soon. From what I've heard from other guests, the bride is going to have different dresses for each ceremony, but I don't know if she will wear her reception dress to both.

The wedding was one of the most fun weddings I've been to. They had a beautiful, if cold, outdoor ceremony, then a reception in a trendy loft space that is part of a combo art gallery/art creation space. The food was excellent, including a huge array of Taiwanese appetizers that they kept changing throughout the dinner, so you just had to wait a bit and then there was more new yummy stuff.

Based on comments we heard from other people, I still think we were B-listed. Just general things we overheard about the planning, when other people received invitations, and the fact that there was a wedding website that I don't think we ever got told about. But we joked that even if we were B-list, we got one of the best seats at the reception - right next to the bar and the giant Star Trek ice sculpture (giant insignia inside the block of ice, topped with an NX class ship.) So what do you do at the end of a reception with a 4 foot tall block of ice topped with a giant spaceship? :-)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 10:01:02 AM »
Sounds amazing! Do you have a picture of the ice sculpture?
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

cicero

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 12:50:30 PM »
Thanks for the update,  sounds like an amazing event (s).

I've heard of/seen  on Facebook the photo shoot done before the wedding in *not* the actual wedding outfits (e. G. Groom in a suit but not *the* suit and bride in a flowy casual (think 1970s hippie style) long dress,  on the beach,  horse back,  old abandoned warehouse etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

o_gal

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 07:39:13 AM »
Sounds amazing! Do you have a picture of the ice sculpture?

Yes, pictures and video but I don't want to post them because they all have the groom's last name on them.

What's really funny is that his last name is unusual - not something you would know how to spell if you just heard it. They got that one right. But at the bottom of the sculpture is "Captian Hislastname"  ;)