Wedding Bliss and Blues > Paper Trail

What is your perception of this word and its inclusion on a wedding invitation?

(1/12) > >>

MummySweet:
What is your perception of the word, "Lame"? 

We received an invitation for my niece's wedding earlier this week.  Its design is of the modern poster/carnival advertisement style with a lot of graphic elements.   Its format surprised me because of the formality level of the wedding (black tie), but I thought it might just be their whimsical element.  Then I saw the response card: 
                                                          Accept (Awesome!)           Decline (Lame)

It stopped me short. In my mind the casual use of "lame" means without good reason and conveys a criticism.     I hear it used by my kids and their friends occasionally, but not to anyone outside their peer group.   This invitation went out to people of all ages.     Am I out of touch?  I'm about 20 years older than the couple.

Alicia:
I would take it as a pathetic attempt to be funny casual and to express that they would be sad if you declined. This is why we have standard wording as attempting to get off script can cause alkwardness

MorgnsGrl:

--- Quote from: MummySweet on August 11, 2016, 05:00:31 PM ---What is your perception of the word, "Lame"? 

We received an invitation for my niece's wedding earlier this week.  Its design is of the modern poster/carnival advertisement style with a lot of graphic elements.   Its format surprised me because of the formality level of the wedding (black tie), but I thought it might just be their whimsical element.  Then I saw the response card: 
                                                          Accept (Awesome!)           Decline (Lame)

It stopped me short. In my mind the casual use of "lame" means without good reason and conveys a criticism.     I hear it used by my kids and their friends occasionally, but not to anyone outside their peer group.   This invitation went out to people of all ages.     Am I out of touch?  I'm about 20 years older than the couple.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure they were just trying to be lighthearted/funny but I think the use of this word is not okay on multiple levels. It's considered ableist by many disabled people.

Hmmmmm:
If they wanted to casually express disappointment that someone must decline they should have found a different term. Indicating you assume any reason to decline their invitation is "lame" is really insulting. Can you imagine if you were having to decline because of a health reason? So surprised no one second thought this decision. How old is this couple? It sound like teenagers.

Oh Joy:
To me, it's simply a younger generation's term for something that's boring or not fun.

I think it was a midsirected attempt at levity, but really not worth a second thought.

It is very common to have responses customized beyond Yes or No.  I was personally irritated today when I went to link to an article on a minimalist website today, and I had to either sign up for their newsletter as "Oh boy do I need this!" or decline by selecting "No, I love my clutter."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version