News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:52:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leftovers at a Restaurant, Rude?  (Read 10917 times)

Maria16

Leftovers at a Restaurant, Rude?
« on: August 14, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
I had brunch at a hotel near my home. The restaurant serves food all day including an expensive dinner. I ordered eggs and a fruit salad. Usually the waiter brings the fruit salad right after the drinks and while they cook to eggs, but I don't state a preference for the fruit first- though I do like it this way.  This time, they brought the eggs and still no fruit. It seems they forgot and when I asked, it was promptly brought over. I was half done with the eggs and getting full so I picked at it and then when I asked for the bill, I asked if they could wrap up the fruit to go. The waiter came back and handed me a box. The fruit was on a large plate and the box was quite small. I had no serving spoon and my small spoon was in my tea. The transfer would have been awkward, though of course not impossible. The fruit was also cut up into small pieces.  I asked if they could just do it for me. I felt the box was slightly rude. Or was I rude to be annoyed?

HannahGrace

Re: Leftovers at a Restaurant, Rude?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »
I'm really confused. When you asked for the fruit to go, what were you expecting? I would have anticipated exactly what it sounds like they did -- putting the fruit in a take out box.

Hillia

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »
Yes, I'm confused also.  Every time I've wanted to take leftovers home from a restaurant, the server brings me a box or similar container and I fill it myself.  The fact that my spoon had been used to sweeten and/or stir tea would not render it unsuitable for transferring food into a take out container; in fact I don't think I've ever been offered a serving utensil for this purpose.

Sara Crewe

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 03:44:42 PM »
I'm really confused. When you asked for the fruit to go, what were you expecting? I would have anticipated exactly what it sounds like they did -- putting the fruit in a take out box.

I think the whole point is that they didn't put it in a box.  They gave the OP a box that looked too small for the food and no utensil to transfer the fruit from the plate to the box and left her to box it up.

I agree this is odd.  When I've asked to box up leftovers, the server has always taken my plate to the kitchen and come back with a full take out box.

lakey

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »

The way I understood the post, they didn't put the fruit in a take out box. They handed her a box and left it to her to put it in the box. Most restaurants I go to put the food in the container for you. A few Chinese restaurants give you the box and let you box it, but there is a serving spoon for you to use.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »
Yes, I'm confused also.  Every time I've wanted to take leftovers home from a restaurant, the server brings me a box or similar container and I fill it myself.  The fact that my spoon had been used to sweeten and/or stir tea would not render it unsuitable for transferring food into a take out container; in fact I don't think I've ever been offered a serving utensil for this purpose.

I agree - maybe it's just the restaurants I go to, but usually they bring the box and I parcel it up myself using the same utensils I've been using.

It sounds like you were already annoyed at them because they didn't bring your meal out in the order you wanted it and the fruit just tipped you over the edge.

HannahGrace

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »

The way I understood the post, they didn't put the fruit in a take out box. They handed her a box and left it to her to put it in the box. Most restaurants I go to put the food in the container for you. A few Chinese restaurants give you the box and let you box it, but there is a serving spoon for you to use.

Ah, that makes sense. I've had that happen a lot too and it never bothered me. I've never been given a new spoon, that's for sure.

Maria16

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, they handed me an empty box for me to do the transfer. I don't mind in theory but it wasn't that practical with the huge plate going into small box and would've probably led to some spillage then me cleaning. Usually they take the plate and transfer it in the back and return it to you. The waiter seemed put out that I expected them to do it, though I may have been projecting.

TootsNYC

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
I guess businesses are exempt from the "rude" label in many instances, since they do get to decide what sort of service they wish to provide.

But I really get judgy when the restaurant makes me do the "kitchen work" of transferring food from one container to another right there at the table. I don't have an apron; I'm sitting down which means I don't have the same control I'd have if I were standing at a counter; etc.

I think you would have been totally in the right to say, "Excuse me, this box isn't big enough; would you take this in the kitchen and ask someone who has the right tools to take care of it for me?"

Some waiter did this to me at a seafood restaurant (sloppy seafood pasta), and I asked him, "I'm really supposed to transfer this here? Can't you folks do it?" and he said, "No," and walked away. I docked his tip. He got 10% exactly, down to the exact change. Normally I calculate 18% and just round up.

That is the only time I've had to do it myself.

Maria16

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
I was not remotely annoyed at the fruit timing and was equally happy to bring it home.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »

I agree - maybe it's just the restaurants I go to, but usually they bring the box and I parcel it up myself using the same utensils I've been using.

It sounds like you were already annoyed at them because they didn't bring your meal out in the order you wanted it and the fruit just tipped you over the edge.

POD. This feels like a annoyance on top of being annoyed, and would probably not be rude to anyone else.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Maria16

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
I did ask her to take care of it and she made a comment about finding someone to do this. It was weird bc they have an expensive dinner and I can't imagine they have never had the request to take home food before. I just said thank you and she brought back the box with the fruit transferred for me.

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
I've seen it done both ways.

One reason why some restaurants have the customer put the food in the box is that they have had problems with people complaining that they wanted only the meat and not the side, or they wanted the roll in a separate container, or the garnish was/wasn't included, or this doesn't look like their leftovers.  Get enough customers wanting something comped because they don't think their doggie bag isn't fit for a dog, and the restaurant is going to stop doing the boxing.

If I was the OP, I would have used the teaspoon.  If the fruit salad was going to be given to someone else who might not appreciate my spit, or if the teaspoon proved inadequate, I would have explained the problem, asking for a larger utensil.

Semperviren

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »
I prefer to have the restaurant remove the uneaten portion, box it up in the kitchen and bring me the box. It's always a bit awkward and graceless to do it seated at the table with the available implements, and can be messy if there's sauce. I'll do it, if that's how things are done there,  but it makes me think of the restaurant as not really "upscale".

I am not sure why restaurants do this, unless they've experienced people being extremely picky about how things are boxed, or have expressed concern about the food not being handled properly out of their view (my feeling is that if you don't trust them to box it safely, you probably shouldn't trust them to serve it in the first place).

maksi

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 04:44:19 PM »
It doesn't sound very good service to first forget to bring you the food, then bring you a box that's too small and no utensils to eat/transfer the food with. I don't think it's rude, but yeah, I'd be annoyed, too.