News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 12:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leftovers at a Restaurant, Rude?  (Read 10944 times)

rose red

Re: Leftovers at a Restaurant, Rude?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
I've had waiters box food and I've been given a box to do it myself and I've also been asked what I prefer. I have no problem with any of those. I also have no problem with asking for a bigger box or a new spoon. A waiter's attitude matters to me more  than the method of boxing up leftovers.

Sharnita

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 05:29:50 PM »
I think the very minimum is to bring a container adequate to hold the food in question.

vintagegal

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 05:42:47 PM »
I usually see them bring the box and you package the food yourself. I wouldn't want them to take it back in the kitchen, what if they mixed your box up with someone else's? Or used a dirty utensil?

Maria16

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
I prefer to have the restaurant remove the uneaten portion, box it up in the kitchen and bring me the box. It's always a bit awkward and graceless to do it seated at the table with the available implements, and can be messy if there's sauce. I'll do it, if that's how things are done there,  but it makes me think of the restaurant as not really "upscale".

I am not sure why restaurants do this, unless they've experienced people being extremely picky about how things are boxed, or have expressed concern about the food not being handled properly out of their view (my feeling is that if you don't trust them to box it safely, you probably shouldn't trust them to serve it in the first place).

Just learned to quote. Yes. POD.  I assumed they would take the plate and do it in the back.

Maria16

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
I've seen it done both ways.

One reason why some restaurants have the customer put the food in the box is that they have had problems with people complaining that they wanted only the meat and not the side, or they wanted the roll in a separate container, or the garnish was/wasn't included, or this doesn't look like their leftovers.  Get enough customers wanting something comped because they don't think their doggie bag isn't fit for a dog, and the restaurant is going to stop doing the boxing.

If I was the OP, I would have used the teaspoon.  If the fruit salad was going to be given to someone else who might not appreciate my spit, or if the teaspoon proved inadequate, I would have explained the problem, asking for a larger utensil.

It was not bc it wasn't feasible or I cared about using the spoon. I would've dumped it in, but again I didn't feel like making a mess at the table and I have never experienced this.  I live in NYC though. I didn't ask for a larger utensil, it was easier to ask if she could do it as it is obviously something they do. I have been there before, but also, it is something all restaurants do I am familiar with.

Maria16

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 06:04:43 PM »
It doesn't sound very good service to first forget to bring you the food, then bring you a box that's too small and no utensils to eat/transfer the food with. I don't think it's rude, but yeah, I'd be annoyed, too.

Thank you. Yes, that's how I felt exactly.

sammycat

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
I've had it done both ways and never given it a thought TBH.

If the staff brought me an empty container I'd never send them back to the kitchen to wrap it up for me as that just seems like creating unnecessary extra work for the employees.

There's a restaurant chain that I frequent that has the plastic containers next to the spare cutlery, serviettes etc specifically so customers can box it up themselves when/if it suits them. I like this as it means I can allocate different portions to different containers if I want to.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:19:50 PM by sammycat »

Erich L-ster

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »
I would think that if they brought it back they'd fill the small container and then dump the rest.

Yvaine

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »
I'm wondering if there might be a health code thing about taking customer-handled food back into the kitchen and then sending it back out to the customer. I mean, obviously, they can take your trash back to the kitchen if they're just tossing it, but to basically re-serve it to you might open them up to some health issues.

RainyDays

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 06:33:04 PM »
I can't say I've ever had my food taken away and brought back in a box. The restaurants I've been to either give you a box to do it yourself, or the server brings over a serving tray and stand with the boxes and boxes it for you table side -- typically using the guests' utensils that were in the plate.

That said, the only thing odd in the op's situation was maybe a box that was too small, in which case I would have asked for a larger one. I would not expect a serving spoon.

Aunt4God

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 07:07:10 PM »
I usually see them bring the box and you package the food yourself. I wouldn't want them to take it back in the kitchen, what if they mixed your box up with someone else's? Or used a dirty utensil?

This.....I've read stories of food being tossed by other workers while the waiter went to get the box, or of the waiters even taking revenge on diners for poor treatment during the dinner, etc.  I actually like to ask for a box with my plate coming out so I can box half my meal and protect against eating too much.  It helps a lot for portion control when they're bringing out huge plates of food.  If I don't do that, I've only run into them wanting to box it themselves at places like Olive Garden and the like. Even with that, they still do it tableside.  I usually just say I'll do it because I can be picky how my food goes into the box.

Zizi-K

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »
I don't know if the restaurant or the server was rude per se, but it wasn't very good service. It sounds like they forgot the fruit and had to be reminded. In an expensive restaurant I would expect the server to box the food, or at least offer to do it, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised that they didn't. It's a real toss up whether a particular restaurants offers that service as a rule. However, the box provided should be an appropriate size, and a good server will take note of the situation and not leave you to use your hands to transfer the food. (I assume they already took your fork with your egg plate.) I think it was perfectly fine of you to ask for them to do it, and I would not be impressed with a server who seemed unhappy with that request.

So if I had to call this one, I would just say "indifferent service".

miranova

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
I think the caliber of the restaurant matters here.  If it's an upscale place, part of what you are paying for is extra services that you don't get at your local Applebees.  At an expensive place, I would expect the server to box the food up for me, and that has been my experience.  At the local chicken wing place, I expect to do it myself. 

TootsNYC

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »
I'm wondering if there might be a health code thing about taking customer-handled food back into the kitchen and then sending it back out to the customer. I mean, obviously, they can take your trash back to the kitchen if they're just tossing it, but to basically re-serve it to you might open them up to some health issues.

My own response to that would be, if i were a restaurant manager, that the restaurant should then find some other place that it would be possible to do that task.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »
My experience is the same as a few other posters have mentioned -- they bring me the box and I transfer it over myself, so this wouldn't seem unusual to me.