News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 12:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leftovers at a Restaurant, Rude?  (Read 10919 times)

sammycat

Re: Leftovers at a Restaurant, Rude?
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2016, 06:05:35 PM »
In my experience of 'posh-ish' restaurants, the portions are so small that there isn't likely to be anything left to take away..  Nouvelle Cuisine is French for 'stop on the way home and buy a Twix'... 

So true! It appears to be a worldwide phenomenon too unfortunately, as I've experienced it in restaurants in many different countries.

Re. take home bags from UK restaurants - whilst visiting there last year we went on an afternoon tea bus tour and they actually came around to each table at the end of the tour and offered us boxes to take home our leftovers. I also remember taking leftovers back to the hotel from at least one other restaurant in England.

HappilyInsane

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2016, 10:49:36 PM »
I'm wondering if there might be a health code thing about taking customer-handled food back into the kitchen and then sending it back out to the customer. I mean, obviously, they can take your trash back to the kitchen if they're just tossing it, but to basically re-serve it to you might open them up to some health issues.

Speaking as someone that works in a restaurant...yes. I work more with fast food type things, but to even refill a drink, we are required to have the customer take off their lid and straw before we can refill the cup.

I live in a smallish town (50k ish) and there is only one place in town that I know of where they box your leftovers for you and it is done table side, not back in the kitchen.  The other places just bring you a box and you do it yourself, using whatever utensils you ate with. If I have something that is bulky/awkward to move to the box, I just pick up my plate and use my fork to slide it off into the box. 

Twik

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2016, 10:34:52 AM »
It's not a dig at Americans, other than that their restaurants always strike me as figuratively run by grandmothers who worry about guests going away still hungry. It is part of the unspoken social contract that a standard portion in the U.S. should satisfy even the proverbial "hungry man." It would be considered rude by a restaurant to offer an entrée that didn't meet this standard.

On the other hand, you're not required to eat everything at one sitting, which is why the "boxed to go" is common. I usually have waitstaff offer without me even asking for it if there's anything significant left on my plate.

The restaurants you eat at strike you that way. I encourage you to branch out from this form of dining. I would enjoy such a place as I've never encountered this ever. It sounds like a fun dinner.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I've also eaten at restaurants where I've cleaned my plated and gone, "Wait, that's it?" In my home area, there is a web of relatives who can tell you, with eyes narrowed, what local restaurant is "cheap" with the portions. They can agree, for example, exactly how many mussels should be in a chowder for lunch versus supper (should be at least an even dozen for lunch - ten is not acceptable).

The downside of "boxed to go" being common is that one sometimes must get into long discussions about how the food was truly lovely, but you are staying in a hotel, and no, there's no fridge, and you're leaving in the morning anyway, so that shrimp scampi will still go to waste even if you take it with you.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cb140

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2016, 05:42:21 AM »
An interesting thread; I'm in the U.K. and have never seen, or heard of, anyone requesting a box to take home leftovers.

Do you mean specifically asking for a box, or generally asking for the leftovers to take home?
 I am in the UK, and do it all the time. It's never been refused or reacted to as if it's unusual, and the restaurant always has containers available. Sometimes it'll be at restaurants that do takeaways, so it's just changing one type of meal into another, but by no means always.

It's not because portion sizes are too big, in my case, I'm just really slow at eating and I'm either full or don't want to delay the people I'm eating with if they've all finished. Plus I hate wasting food.

i would do it without hesitation in an Indian or Chinese that does takeaway anyway and so would have the foil boxes and lids to hand. In other sorts of restaurant, eg French or Italian or British, ie isn't also a takeaway, I would find it quite an odd request and I'd be surprised if the restaurant would have the appropriate boxes - if they don't do takeaway, why would they have boxes? So yes, for me it would depend entirely on whether the restaurant was a takeaway establishment.

IME UK portions are not as large as American ones, and in the Indian or Chinese scenario, it would be more likely that you were wanting to takeaway because you'd ordered *too many* dishes, rather than that one individual entree was too large to eat at one sitting.

Mustard

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2016, 06:01:00 AM »
On a side note, we did get  very briefly confused by our first introduction to an American menu as we hadn't realised that an entree is actually what we would call a main course.

cb140

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2016, 06:03:29 AM »
On a side note, we did get  very briefly confused by our first introduction to an American menu as we hadn't realised that an entree is actually what we would call a main course.

Agree - it really sounds like Entree should be a starter, doesn't it? But I think americans always use Appetiser for starter, and Entree for main.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »
For the record, the op is taking a little break from the forum and is currently unable to reply.