News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help choosing what to wear for wedding - *amusing interim U/D*#20, final UD#35  (Read 8419 times)

cicero

I don't really know the B&G or parents (they are distant relatives but in my extended family, sixth cousins twice removed are family and invited to each other's events. which is fine, I'm happy to go, but since I don't know them at all, I don't really know what to wear.

The weddig is on a sunday afternoon (around 4), outside, summer

The B&G website states "formal attire requested"

They also state that the ceremony will be on the grass and they suggest bringing "flats or wedges" for the ceremony.

OH. Kay.

*I'm going to wear flats and stay in flats (I don't do heels).
*I'm short and fat. I look terrible in long dresses or skirts.
*I'm size 16-18
*don't have extra money to spare.

questions:
I have this dress http://maxi.moda/shop/connected-apparel-womens-plus-size-keyhole-neck-side-gather-cap-sleeve/ but in a very pretty cobalt blue. that's what i was planing to wear before i realized it was more formal. Is this nice enough for the kind of wedding i'm describing? can i dress it up a bit with a wrap?

how about any of these, or do you have any other ideas?
http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Women/Lace-w-Sequins-Dress-275232612.aspx?h=66760

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Women/Lace-Sheath-Dress-w-Scallop-Trim-Plus-275347675.aspx?h=66760,66779

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Women/Sleeveless-Sequins-Lace-Dress-275232036.aspx?h=66760
http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Juniors/Sleeveless-Cutout-Back-Midi-Dress-Jr--275302526.aspx?h=66760
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:15:36 AM by cicero »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Dazi

• like the flower
Honestly, I think the one you have would work great. Dress it up with a scarf or jewelry if you want. I've been burned on the "formal attire" bit for an outdoor summer wedding. I was the only one dressed as requested and I nearly suffered from heat stroke.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Hillia

I agree... Afternoon and outside says dressy but not formal to me.  I think the dress you have, with slightly more extravagant jewelry, would be fine.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Are you willing to do a very small amount of crafty work?  You could attach a see-through skirt to the bottom of the dress to make it look far more formal without hiding your legs, and it would only cost a few dollars.  Go to goodwill and find a long dress with a chiffon overlay that you like, and then attach the overlay to the skirt of your dress on the inside with double-sided fabric tape or some hand-sewing.

Alicia

I think it will be fine. Dramatic jewlery hair and makeup.

green.and.blue

Honestly, I think the one you have would work great. Dress it up with a scarf or jewelry if you want. I've been burned on the "formal attire" bit for an outdoor summer wedding. I was the only one dressed as requested and I nearly suffered from heat stroke.

Pod. They probably just want no sundresses and the guys to wear ties.

Mustard

Pod. They probably just want no sundresses and the guys to wear ties.

That dress would be (will be!) absolutely fine.

Runningstar

I really like that dress and would dress it up with jewelry (whatever you have).  What would make a difference is what type of purse you carry (if any), so if you have a sleek clutch bag or a fancy little evening bag now is the time to use it.  I see them at thrift stores a lot if you don't own any.

cicero

Thanks so much! I certainly don't want to spend money if I don't have to,  but I wanted to be sure that I was dressed appropriately.  So some bling,  makeup and a cool clutch it is

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gellchom

Where is this wedding?  In some parts of the US, this would imply a long gown or very fancy pants outfit; in others, cocktail dresses.  Plus it seems to vary by year ....  Anyway, if you are in the NYC area, think dressier; LA area, more casual; and so forth.

I agree that the dress you have is fine (very nice, in fact), especially if you dress it up with strictly-for-evening bag and jewelry, more dramatic makeup, and a great hairdo.  If you can find some sparkly shoe clips to dress up your flats, that'd be great (I rescued a pair from a bag of costume jewelry my mother-in-law was getting rid of, and I get so many compliments on them).  Like these: https://www.etsy.com/search?ref=auto5&q=shoe+clips+rhinestone&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

But if you feel like getting something new, I just love the first one from Burlington that you linked to!  I wish it came in my size.  You will look great in either that one or the one you already have.  Have fun!

lakey

I looked on sites that describe attire for "formal" weddings. They allow for long dresses, but also cocktail length dresses in dark or neutral solid colors and nice fabric. I think the dress you already have would be fine, especially if you dress it up with some bling. Also, I think it would look fine with flats.

I always think it looks odd to wear a long formal dress in the afternoon. At an outdoor, afternoon wedding, I would actually feel more comfortable in the type of dresses you have shown. But that's just my personal preference.

Zizi-K

I agree that the time of day and the fact that it is outdoors makes ankle or floor length a weird to bad choice. How annoying would it be to have to hold up your skirt so it doesn't brush up against whatever might be lurking on the ground?

Add my vote to those that love the dress you have! It's a great piece that can be dressed up or down, and a great color.

Runningstar

I just went to two afternoon weddings this past month and they are wearing anything from sundresses to floor length dresses.  Your dress would fit in with either.  The one wedding was formal (but not black tie) and the other totally casual and I saw pretty much the same types of dresses at each.  At the casual one the men wore khaki pants with button down short sleeve shirts, and at the formal one they all had on suits. 

gellchom

I have gotten used to seeing and wearing long gowns as early as 4 or 4:30, because the reception starts after 5:00 and goes late at night.  I still feel funny on the way there, though!

I never wear a long dress unless the invitations says black tie or at least black tie optional.  I wouldn't know what to make of "formal attire requested"!  That's why I asked where the wedding is.  It will make a big difference.

Thipu1

Personally,  I think the cobalt dress you already own will be just fine.  We recently took a voyage on the QM2.  There, 'formal' included cocktail dresses.  The dress you presented would fill the bill. 

I wouldn't worry about a necklace because the dress looks as if it has a bit of metallic trim at the neck.  Earrings to your taste and a shawl in case the evening turns cool are all you might want to add.

Go to the Wedding, enjoy it and send us a happy report.