News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 04:35:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whoops!  (Read 1521 times)

gellchom

Whoops!
« on: August 19, 2016, 12:45:10 PM »
I went to my cousin "John Smith" and "Jane Doe's" wedding last weekend.  The hotel distributed the hospitality bags.  One of the enclosures was a card about the shuttle service to and from the wedding.  The card began:

Doe/Smith Wedding
          Welcome to City!
          Colleen and Brady are so pleased that you are here to share their special day.

Colleen and Brady???

But for "Doe/Smith" and the venue of the wedding being correct, we would have thought the cards got switched somehow (there was another wedding at that hotel the same weekend).  It turned out to be something that the hotel, not the HC or their friends or families had produced; they obviously just started with some previous HC's text and forgot to change the names. 

If it had been their own mistake, no one would have even let on they noticed, but when we learned it was the hotel's fault, his friends and cousins of course said, "Good morning, Brady!" the next day.

Lesson they learned: it's fine to cut and paste rather than reinventing the wheel, but make sure you proofread carefully.

TootsNYC

Re: Whoops!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »
It's also a good alert to hosts to remind them to double-check their vendors' work.

And maybe a reminder that the fewer "points of change" you build in, the lower the opportunity to make a mistake like this.

So if I were the hotel, I'd change my template so that there was ONE line that needed changing:

Guests of Jane Doe and John Smith
We are so pleased you could come
to celebrate with us!

Or even:
Doe/Smith wedding
The bride and groom are so glad you could share their special day.
(and just leave out their first names--better to seem "generic" than to create an opportunity for error)

My mom taught me, regarding freeway driving: "Every lane change is a potential accident."
So, don't change lanes unless you -have- to, and do so with big safety margins and careful attention.

I apply this to many other areas of life as well.

TootsNYC

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 01:22:52 PM »
Oh, also--

a reminder to guests to not "blame" the wedding hosts for the mistakes the vendors make

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
It's also a good alert to hosts to remind them to double-check their vendors' work.

And maybe a reminder that the fewer "points of change" you build in, the lower the opportunity to make a mistake like this.

So if I were the hotel, I'd change my template so that there was ONE line that needed changing:

Guests of Jane Doe and John Smith
We are so pleased you could come
to celebrate with us!

Or even:
Doe/Smith wedding
The bride and groom are so glad you could share their special day.
(and just leave out their first names--better to seem "generic" than to create an opportunity for error)

My mom taught me, regarding freeway driving: "Every lane change is a potential accident."
So, don't change lanes unless you -have- to, and do so with big safety margins and careful attention.

I apply this to many other areas of life as well.

Or, since it's 2016, "the happy couple are glad..." Putting "Colleen and Brady" instead of "Jane and John" is
less likely to cause upset than the hotel writing "the bride and groom" for a same-sex marriage.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.