News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 08:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can we remind people to vote?  (Read 1242 times)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Can we remind people to vote?
« on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »
On one of the coffee break threads, Cass has reminded people not to talk politics, and said that the only posts mentioning a political party that are acceptable are ones reminding people to register to vote.

Would it be okay, in a few weeks, to say something like "today is election day. Please vote if you haven't already"?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Mal

Re: Can we remind people to vote?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 07:32:38 AM »
I do hope most people will vote, it's so important! I don't live in the United States but their president has such immense influence on world politics that it's really, really important, even in my home country, that the right kind of person be elected.

Browyn

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »
Also many states are making it easier to get an absentee ballot.  You no longer have to provide proof you can't get to the polling place.

http://www.whytuesday.org/no-excuse-absentee-ballots/

I will be out of state for required training for my job election week.  One simple form and now I have an absentee ballot.  There are several things this year beyond the presidential election that I care about - in particular the school committee.

Luci

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:15:57 PM »
Lucas is having surgery on the Monday, so we are going absentee. There are two sites in our county in Illinois where we can walk in to vote, one being in the county courthouse 5 blocks from our house. We'll being walking  over the Friday before. There are a lot of local and state elections important to us.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 04:44:40 PM »
I've had an absentee ballot for 20+ years now (DH has one as well).  I had a college instructor who enlightened the class that an absentee ballot could be dropped off at a polling place, no waiting in line.  I loved being able to bypass the long line of students (polling place was at my college) and drop off my already-completed absentee ballot.  I've never gone back.

I, too, don't see the point of reminding individuals to vote now, unless there's still time to remind everyone to *register* to vote (should there still be time to register to vote for this election).

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »
I posted that because states have different voting registration dates. I see no reason to remind people to vote because it's rather insulting, not to mention there are quite a few people who won't vote because they don't want to. My suggestion is to leave it alone.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.