News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:50:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Offering to Pay  (Read 2484 times)

RainyDays

Offering to Pay
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
I know I keep posting over here, but this is my life this fall: nothing but weddings.

So fellow bridesmaids (Abby and Becca) and I are taking BTB (Clara) out for a bachelorette party. Well, more like dinner and an outing. Abby, Becca and I have already discussed covering Clara's fee for the outing (splitting it evenly among the 3 of us). Dinner has not been mentioned. Honestly, I don't think it's occurred to anyone beyond "hey let's go here!"

Since this is her bachelorette party, I think we should cover Clara's dinner. Without getting into too many details, I am better off financially than Abby and Becca (well, Abby I'm not sure of, but she is fresh out of college and newly married; Becca is still in college with limited income; I am older, settled, have savings, etc.). I am more than happy to cover Clara's plate, but I am unsure of how to offer. I don't want Abby and Becca to feel awkward at dinner if it's clear I'm "treating", but I don't want them to feel pressured to contribute even more money to this outing.

Our correspondence has been over email. Any thoughts on how to broach the subject?

TurtleDove

Re: Offering to Pay
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 03:38:20 PM »
I would do something like this:

Hi Ladies! Just confirming we will meet at "outing site" at 4:00 on Friday afternoon for Clara's bachelorette party. We agreed to split the cost for Clara's "outing," which works out to $XX for each of us. I can put it on my card and you can give me a cash or check for your portion, whichever you prefer.

I attached the menu for "dinner location" - our reservations are for 8:00 Friday night. I plan to cover Clara's dinner as part of my wedding gift to her.

This will be a blast!

RainyDays

Hmmmmm

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
^^
Completely agree with this wording. Just tell them your plan. They'll "get" that you can financially cover more.

Mustard

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »
Agreed, suggest 'I would like to cover Clara's dinner as part of my wedding gift'  rather than 'I plan...'

RainyDays

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »
Great wording, TurtleDove. Thank you!!  :)