News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:47:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How can DD18 tell her houseguest "That won't work for me"? Good update #112  (Read 25450 times)

GardenGal

Re: How can DD18 tell her houseguest "That won't work for me"? Good update #112
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
Bravo, OP!  You did the right thing, and you taught your DD a very valuable lesson - it's not to late to fix a bad situation, and you don't need to allow people to take advantage of you.  Have a much less stressful 2017!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

FauxFoodist

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »
I think someone upthread mentioned packing up her things in advance for her, and I agree.  Was just thinking that you might not want her to physically re-enter your home (all that talk about establishing tenancy made me wonder if she'd come back in then plant herself in your home and refuse to leave).  I'd also pack up her things to ensure she's not walking out with anything of yours or your DD.  Have the box by the door ready to hand to her should she return by today to get her things (I think today is three days from when you kicked her out) and, if not, then they're ready to drop off at the nearest charity donation box tomorrow.

crella

« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
I think someone upthread mentioned packing up her things in advance for her, and I agree.  Was just thinking that you might not want her to physically re-enter your home (all that talk about establishing tenancy made me wonder if she'd come back in then plant herself in your home and refuse to leave).  I'd also pack up her things to ensure she's not walking out with anything of yours or your DD.  Have the box by the door ready to hand to her should she return by today to get her things (I think today is three days from when you kicked her out) and, if not, then they're ready to drop off at the nearest charity donation box tomorrow.

All of this. I wouldn't be surprised if she did something while in the house to get back at you. Dropping all her stuff off wherever she is seems like a great idea.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2016, 06:35:47 PM »
In the states, I believe items left after 30 days, can be disposed of.

It depends on the state. In mine i have to give notice that I plan on disposing of it.

miranova

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2016, 09:24:59 AM »
Congratulations!

As for the tenancy laws and needing to officially evict...I am a landlord myself but in this scenario I would not borrow trouble.  The chances of Cammie actually filing a law suit are so slim as to be negligible.  You asked her to leave and she did. In my experience, most people don't sue you, even if they claim they will.  This is a girl who could not bother to secure a ride to work or get up and take the bus.  Suing someone actually does take a little bit of work and requires follow through.  I'm betting you never hear from Cammie ever again.

I might look up laws about abandoning property since you have time to do so, and err on the safe side there just to be cautious. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »
<insert obligatory request to not get thread locked by going too far into legal territory>
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

YummyMummy66

« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2016, 07:46:32 AM »
I must admit, I simply cannot believe the "cheekiness" of some people.  It always amazes me that some people act the way that they do.

snappylt

« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2017, 12:02:10 AM »
Just interested - are there any updates since Cammie left?

EDITED to add: Just now saw the s/o thread that answers my question.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:07:05 AM by snappylt »

gramma dishes

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
Just interested - are there any updates since Cammie left?

EDITED to add: Just now saw the s/o thread that answers my question.

Can you direct me to the correct s/o thread?  I'd like to know too.