News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 24, 2017, 06:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uber Etiquette  (Read 9293 times)

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
Re: Uber Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »
We were told not to tip the NYC Uber drivers, I guess b/c they make good money. We learned this after having tipped them all week, no one refused.

LadyL

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
I have never tipped in an Uber or Lyft. It's not banned but it's not encouraged either; part of the appeal of the service is that your card is charged a flat fee that you agree upon ahead of time (including "surge" pricing which can be several times normal rates). If I am particularly happy with a driver, I leave them a 5 star review. On several platforms drivers must maintain a certain rating to keep driving for the service, so the reviews directly benefit them. If a ride was not very good (dirty or smelly car usually) I leave them a borderline review (4 stars).

NFPwife

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 09:19:29 PM »
We were told not to tip the NYC Uber drivers, I guess b/c they make good money. We learned this after having tipped them all week, no one refused.

I never tip NYC drivers more than a dollar or two and I have had two drivers refuse the tip. I recently had two surged rides and didn't tip.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
If you are in a tricky spot or on the wrong side of the road, you should message your driver about where you are. Sometimes I have messaged the driver just so he knows exactly where I am.

NFPwife

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
If you are in a tricky spot or on the wrong side of the road, you should message your driver about where you are. Sometimes I have messaged the driver just so he knows exactly where I am.

Great point, at LGA, I've taken a picture of exactly where I am and sent that as a message. There's so much construction and traffic that it's frequently hard to pick out the 5'2" woman at pickup 3.

rigs32

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
I had issues with the app's GPS in the loop in Chicago.  I would text the driver to confirm my exact location and to tell them I was wearing a red jacket and that made things easier.

Someone mentioned sharing a ride and that will only happen if you select an uber share ride.  There are options - a regular car, a larger vehicle, a shared ride, etc.  I've often been picked up in a larger vehicle when I didn't request it and still paid the price for a normal vehicle.

I've had two issues ever - 1 with a jerky driver in Brooklyn who insisted that I set my pin across the street from where I actually was.  Even if true, he just had to turn around to get me.  The other, the guy accepted my ride and the app said he was 5 min away.  It showed that he was finishing a ride a few blocks away, but he didn't arrive for almost 20 min.  He got lost on my ride, so I'm guessing there was a bit of that leading to the delay.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »

Great point, at LGA, I've taken a picture of exactly where I am and sent that as a message. There's so much construction and traffic that it's frequently hard to pick out the 5'2" woman at pickup 3.
I wish I'd thought of that when being picked up at LGA.  The guy kept saying, "I'm in the black car!" Dude, it's 7:30 PM in the winter, in NYC, at the pickup location.  Everybody's driving a black car.

GreenGuacamole

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Please do tip your Uber driver.  They don't make as much as you'd think.

They make about $80K in NYC working, roughly, 30 hours a week. One of my drivers told me he'd hit six figures, in November. (He said it in a "Isn't America amazing?! I just broke $100K! I'm from (W. Africa) I'd never have made that there!" way. Not in a braggadocios way.)

Holy cow!  :o  Time to move to NY.  :-[

I prefer Lyft over Uber because the app tells you the license plate # of your Lyft driver. I have this irrational fear of being kidnapped by a stranger in an unmarked car.  ::)

gollymolly2

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 01:30:53 PM »
The uber app tells you the license plate as well.

Mustard

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »

I prefer Lyft over Uber because the app tells you the license plate # of your Lyft driver. I have this irrational fear of being kidnapped by a stranger in an unmarked car.  ::)

Now why would the fear of being kidnapped be irrational...

Isisnin

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 11:39:40 AM »
I just took my first (maybe last) Uber trip yesterday. The car didn't come until 32 min after I requested it, even though Uber had said it was a 2 minute wait. Since that long wait made me late for an event, I was not happy and wondering should I tip. But there was another passenger in the car when I got in and the driver picked up another during the trip. Both got out before and did not tip, so I didn't.

Backstory: The driver said the wait was Uber's fault because he accepted the trip as soon as he got the alert from Uber. He also said that he had been on my street for a drop off a few minutes before and hadn't been alerted. I had been on my sidewalk then waiting for the pick up but went into my house to look up the ride request on my laptop (I don't have a smart phone so had ordered my laptop). As I was pulling up my account, I heard a car and ran to the window, but no car. The Uber map showed a car just reaching the end of my street (which is only 5 min walk long). Then it drove off "into the sunset" - seriously it went west.

I started to order another car, but when I input the same destination, a pop-up said the car was on it's way. Then I got the text saying the car would be another 11 min.

My guess is that the driver did get my 1st request and he didn't want to accept until he could get a couple other passengers. My 2nd request probably caused some sort of "why haven't you picked the passenger" text to the driver, so then he accepted the request to maintain his rep with Uber. It's hard to believe that Uber didn't send the 1st request.

The driver tole me that I shouldn't order a pool when I have to be somewhere at a certain time. I wasn't given a choice for a solo car or a pool car.

So, yes, I am writing Uber about this.

NFPwife

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
I just took my first (maybe last) Uber trip yesterday. The car didn't come until 32 min after I requested it, even though Uber had said it was a 2 minute wait. Since that long wait made me late for an event, I was not happy and wondering should I tip. But there was another passenger in the car when I got in and the driver picked up another during the trip. Both got out before and did not tip, so I didn't.

Backstory: The driver said the wait was Uber's fault because he accepted the trip as soon as he got the alert from Uber. He also said that he had been on my street for a drop off a few minutes before and hadn't been alerted. I had been on my sidewalk then waiting for the pick up but went into my house to look up the ride request on my laptop (I don't have a smart phone so had ordered my laptop). As I was pulling up my account, I heard a car and ran to the window, but no car. The Uber map showed a car just reaching the end of my street (which is only 5 min walk long). Then it drove off "into the sunset" - seriously it went west.

I started to order another car, but when I input the same destination, a pop-up said the car was on it's way. Then I got the text saying the car would be another 11 min.

My guess is that the driver did get my 1st request and he didn't want to accept until he could get a couple other passengers. My 2nd request probably caused some sort of "why haven't you picked the passenger" text to the driver, so then he accepted the request to maintain his rep with Uber. It's hard to believe that Uber didn't send the 1st request.

The driver tole me that I shouldn't order a pool when I have to be somewhere at a certain time. I wasn't given a choice for a solo car or a pool car.

So, yes, I am writing Uber about this.

I think your assessment of what happened is accurate. As to pool vs. X, when you book, at least on my phone, there's an option at the bottom to select pool or X. Uber X is on the right. It's not super intuitive and, as a semi-frequent Uber user, I still have to remind myself to check it. (Sometimes, I have to scroll to see it.)

Roe

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
I usually do not tip an Uber.  (only time I tipped was because I had some luggage and needed the trunk) 

I do rate highly, which I suspect they prefer anyway as I'm often asked if I plan to rate them. :)

I've yet to try Lyft as I'm pretty happy with Uber though now I'm curious and will probably use Lyft next time. 

texgalatheart

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
My ex has started to use Uber to drive his 86 yr old mother to Dr appts that happen at a time that no family member is available to drive her.  She doesnt have a smart phone so he arranges the pick up stating that she is an older person. When she is done with her appt - she calls him and he arranges the pick up. They are very satisfied with this arrangement and she has only had 1 driver that she didn't like as he drove to fast and too eratically for her. So the Ex knows not to book him again.

Zizi-K

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
When I was recently in NYC, I definitely tipped Uber drivers. I was traveling with a baby, and often requested cars that had carseats, and/or moving a large amount of luggage. That extra time that the car is idling while we're loading/strapping in is not time that they are paid for, so I think a tip is warranted.

note: the carseats that the NYC drivers travel with are actually not approved for babies. They are front facing, and appropriate for toddlers. We were only going short distances at low speeds, so we used them, but definitely not ideal for a 5 mo old.