News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 23, 2017, 10:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uber Etiquette  (Read 2759 times)

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
Re: Uber Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »
We were told not to tip the NYC Uber drivers, I guess b/c they make good money. We learned this after having tipped them all week, no one refused.

LadyL

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
I have never tipped in an Uber or Lyft. It's not banned but it's not encouraged either; part of the appeal of the service is that your card is charged a flat fee that you agree upon ahead of time (including "surge" pricing which can be several times normal rates). If I am particularly happy with a driver, I leave them a 5 star review. On several platforms drivers must maintain a certain rating to keep driving for the service, so the reviews directly benefit them. If a ride was not very good (dirty or smelly car usually) I leave them a borderline review (4 stars).

NFPwife

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 09:19:29 PM »
We were told not to tip the NYC Uber drivers, I guess b/c they make good money. We learned this after having tipped them all week, no one refused.

I never tip NYC drivers more than a dollar or two and I have had two drivers refuse the tip. I recently had two surged rides and didn't tip.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
If you are in a tricky spot or on the wrong side of the road, you should message your driver about where you are. Sometimes I have messaged the driver just so he knows exactly where I am.

NFPwife

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
If you are in a tricky spot or on the wrong side of the road, you should message your driver about where you are. Sometimes I have messaged the driver just so he knows exactly where I am.

Great point, at LGA, I've taken a picture of exactly where I am and sent that as a message. There's so much construction and traffic that it's frequently hard to pick out the 5'2" woman at pickup 3.

rigs32

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
I had issues with the app's GPS in the loop in Chicago.  I would text the driver to confirm my exact location and to tell them I was wearing a red jacket and that made things easier.

Someone mentioned sharing a ride and that will only happen if you select an uber share ride.  There are options - a regular car, a larger vehicle, a shared ride, etc.  I've often been picked up in a larger vehicle when I didn't request it and still paid the price for a normal vehicle.

I've had two issues ever - 1 with a jerky driver in Brooklyn who insisted that I set my pin across the street from where I actually was.  Even if true, he just had to turn around to get me.  The other, the guy accepted my ride and the app said he was 5 min away.  It showed that he was finishing a ride a few blocks away, but he didn't arrive for almost 20 min.  He got lost on my ride, so I'm guessing there was a bit of that leading to the delay.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »

Great point, at LGA, I've taken a picture of exactly where I am and sent that as a message. There's so much construction and traffic that it's frequently hard to pick out the 5'2" woman at pickup 3.
I wish I'd thought of that when being picked up at LGA.  The guy kept saying, "I'm in the black car!" Dude, it's 7:30 PM in the winter, in NYC, at the pickup location.  Everybody's driving a black car.