News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 08:01:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "EXCUSE ME, I'm in a meeting . . .  (Read 5918 times)

mime

Re: "EXCUSE ME, I'm in a meeting . . .
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »
I'm just going to weigh in with everyone else and say that Karla needs to address this with Sally, and that using speaker phone in a cubicle environment is not appropriate.

I thought that was something that *everyone* knew... I guess I was wrong!  :P

SianMcClay

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »
I'm really curious why anyone would chose to hold a phone meeting using the speaker phone, whist alone in the meeting on their end.  Is there a reason?

If Sally is so fantastic and her work is so important, she needs to be given a space to hold these meetings in.  But that is not OP's job, and yes I think the person in charge of Sally should be the one to tell her to use a head piece. 

But I'm wondering why Karla and OP didn't leave the cubicle area to finish their meeting.  Why did it have to wait three hours?  Why not just go in to another room or a hallway and finish the discussion?  Was there a document on OP's computer that was being consulted and couldn't be printed out or pulled up on Karla's computer? 

lilfox

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »
I'm really curious why anyone would chose to hold a phone meeting using the speaker phone, whist alone in the meeting on their end.  Is there a reason?

<snip>

It gets worse than that.  At my previous office, which was an open cube farm with manager offices around the periphery, we would occasionally have several people in the office on a telecon (with others in other locations), and at least one would have it on speakerphone while the others, wearing headsets, would elevate their voices because the speakerphone echo threw them off when they spoke.

These were people with advanced degrees and 20+ years with the company.  Oh, and there were privacy rooms also around the periphery, they just didn't want to use them because they could "multi-task" if still at their desks.   ::)  Fortunately it didn't happen very often but I took to using the privacy rooms when they had these meetings.

Sally will probably have to hear from a voice of authority to be encouraged to use a headset.

buvezdevin

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »
Well, at a minimum I do think it would be in the best interest of all for an authority to speak with Sally about the importance of consideration in all directions generally, and especially in communal workspace:

1.  It is reasonable for Sally to expect consideration such as others avoiding unnecessary or unusually loud activities while she is working - and unreasonable if she expects others to cease any activities or low discussion.
2.  Sally should consider whether she is optimizing her own options and choices before seeking to modify others behavior, her likely options include headphones rather than speakerphone, or possibly moving to a separate space.
3.  Part of working well with others, including colleagues and customers is working "smart", politely and making the best possible use of resources.  Sally unnecessarily imposing restrictions on others, and not using options with more consideration does none of that.

It may be most helpful to raise the meta framework of mutual consideration, optimal performance and professionalism rather than simply pointing out Sally should use headphones, because it sounds like a gap in Sally's thought processes that could hurt her performance more broadly if she doesn't open her perspective.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »
I'm still gobsmacked that Sally shushed the person who is, for all intents and purposes, her boss right now. Who does that?

Well, obviously, Sally does that. But ... wow.

Agreeing with everyone else that Sally should switch to a headset. Also agree that it should probably be Karla who addresses this. And Karla should probably also point out the (breathtaking) inappropriateness of Sally's having shushed her, when Sally herself was the one not exercising proper office/cubicle etiquette.
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

NyaChan

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
I also think this should come from Karly.  If I thought I was in the right, I wouldn't necessarily give as much weight to my coworker's complaint to me if my manager was right there and apparently didn't have a problem with what I had done.  I'd immediately think, well if it is so bad, why didn't manager say anything? It also might look like you are overstepping your role unless Karly okays or asks you to address it.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 04:34:56 PM »
I also think this should come from Karly.  If I thought I was in the right, I wouldn't necessarily give as much weight to my coworker's complaint to me if my manager was right there and apparently didn't have a problem with what I had done.  I'd immediately think, well if it is so bad, why didn't manager say anything? It also might look like you are overstepping your role unless Karly okays or asks you to address it.

While Karly should have spoken up in the moment, she may not have thought about how it would affect the OP, who has to sit near Sally all the time. The OP is justified in speaking to Sally directly because this kind of thing has a direct impact on her work. OP doesn't need Karly to back her up at all.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

MrTango

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
If I were in the OP's place and it was truly a work-related conversation, I would have just continue the conversation regardless of her objections.

jpcher

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »
Thank you, everybody for your responses. I'm going to draft an e-mail to Karla at the end of this post and I'm asking for your thoughts.

Karla and I were talking about a specific project where I had many pieces on my computer desktop so it wasn't easily moved to another room unless I moved the files to a public access folder, which would have taken time due to the large file size.

We do have meeting rooms that need to be scheduled (most of them are on the large size for 10-20 people) no other private rooms are available.

While Karly should have spoken up in the moment, she may not have thought about how it would affect the OP, who has to sit near Sally all the time. The OP is justified in speaking to Sally directly because this kind of thing has a direct impact on her work. OP doesn't need Karly to back her up at all.

artk2002 -- normally I agree with you 100%, but in this case I strongly need Karla's backing. I mentioned in my OP that whatever comes out of my mouth is wrong, according to Sally. I can expound on this, but it's not pertinent to this thread. It is very sad to me that I cannot talk to Sally personally (we're supposed to be team mates!), so there have been times when I've directed my thoughts and ideas to Sally through Karla. Karla doesn't need this and I don't know how to fix it, but that's another thread.

So here's my thoughts on an email to Karla (both Karla and Sally are off for the holidays until after the new year):

Karla I need to address the incident that occurred the other day when you and I were talking about 'project' and Sally piped in with the "EXCUSE ME" comment. Would you please suggest to Sally that she use her headphone during her phone conferences instead of speaker phone? Headphone gives her an amount of privacy and I won't have to be interrupted with any conversation that I might be having at the same time. I'd like to hear your thoughts . . . do you think this is something that I should talk to Sally myself? Or is it better coming from you?

RainyDays

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 08:17:45 PM »
Thank you, everybody for your responses. I'm going to draft an e-mail to Karla at the end of this post and I'm asking for your thoughts.

Karla and I were talking about a specific project where I had many pieces on my computer desktop so it wasn't easily moved to another room unless I moved the files to a public access folder, which would have taken time due to the large file size.

We do have meeting rooms that need to be scheduled (most of them are on the large size for 10-20 people) no other private rooms are available.

artk2002 -- normally I agree with you 100%, but in this case I strongly need Karla's backing. I mentioned in my OP that whatever comes out of my mouth is wrong, according to Sally. I can expound on this, but it's not pertinent to this thread. It is very sad to me that I cannot talk to Sally personally (we're supposed to be team mates!), so there have been times when I've directed my thoughts and ideas to Sally through Karla. Karla doesn't need this and I don't know how to fix it, but that's another thread.

So here's my thoughts on an email to Karla (both Karla and Sally are off for the holidays until after the new year):

Karla I need to address the incident that occurred the other day when you and I were talking about 'project' and Sally piped in with the "EXCUSE ME" comment. Would you please suggest to Sally that she use her headphone during her phone conferences instead of speaker phone? Headphone gives her an amount of privacy and I won't have to be interrupted with any conversation that I might be having at the same time. I'd like to hear your thoughts . . . do you think this is something that I should talk to Sally myself? Or is it better coming from you?

I would mention somewhere in that email that this has happened at least a few times before and that it wasn't a one-time thing. Without any of the background, this reads like an overreaction to a singular comment made several days ago.

wyliefool

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 07:44:37 AM »

<snip>

It gets worse than that.  At my previous office, which was an open cube farm with manager offices around the periphery, we would occasionally have several people in the office on a telecon (with others in other locations), and at least one would have it on speakerphone while the others, wearing headsets, would elevate their voices because the speakerphone echo threw them off when they spoke.

These were people with advanced degrees and 20+ years with the company.  Oh, and there were privacy rooms also around the periphery, they just didn't want to use them because they could "multi-task" if still at their desks.   ::)  Fortunately it didn't happen very often but I took to using the privacy rooms when they had these meetings.

Sally will probably have to hear from a voice of authority to be encouraged to use a headset.
They do this in my job too. The best part is when you hear Joe's commentary coming out of Mary's speakerphone a half second after he says it, so it's an echo effect.  >:( >:( >:(

pwy a wyr

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 08:31:35 AM »
I realise that Sally probably won't listen, but I'd wait until the next time it happens. Then say something like, "Then please use headphones as the rest of us do when in a meeting" even handing headphones to her if neccessary. X

FauxFoodist

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
I realise that Sally probably won't listen, but I'd wait until the next time it happens. Then say something like, "Then please use headphones as the rest of us do when in a meeting" even handing headphones to her if neccessary. X

I don't understand why Sally doesn't use the phone handset instead of using speakerphone if she refuses to use a headset.

Another possible response could've been, "Sorry, but *we* are in a meeting as well so it sounds like it would be best if you use your handset or a headset, not speakerphone."