News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 23, 2017, 10:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Margot Robbie tattoos wedding guests  (Read 2827 times)

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Margot Robbie tattoos wedding guests
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
Sounds like goofy fun to me, and I doubt anyone was pressured into it.  I'm glad there are nontraditional people in the world, it keeps things interesting.

cross_patch

Re: Margot Robbie's tattoos wedding guests
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 03:57:05 AM »
Firstly:  Who?  I live in Australia and have never heard of her.

How self centred do you have to be to think anyone else is gong to care enough about your wedding to want any sort of permanent reminder of it?

They served cocoa pops cereal instead of dessert/wedding cake.

These two sound very trashy and immature.

I never quite understand why people feel the need to say this as though it's a point of pride. Lots of people do know who she is; it doesn't make you better or above it to not know.

I also don't understand the unsolicited nastiness either. I don't understand how either of these things make them trashy. Lots of my friends have done similar things in terms of unconventional weddings, and I think it's appalling to call people trashy.

sammycat

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 04:18:50 AM »
I never quite understand why people feel the need to say this as though it's a point of pride. Lots of people do know who she is; it doesn't make you better or above it to not know.

What an incredibly strange thing to say, not to mention reading something into a comment that is very definitely not meant that way. Not everyone knows (or cares) who every "celebrity" is, and they are allowed to state that publicly.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 04:24:06 AM by sammycat »

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 08:06:40 AM »

What an incredibly strange thing to say, not to mention reading something into a comment that is very definitely not meant that way. Not everyone knows (or cares) who every "celebrity" is, and they are allowed to state that publicly.

Not that strange. The tone of your post struck me the same way it did cross_patch, even if you didn't intend it that way.

Of course you're allowed to not know or care who various celebrities are, but when you start off with "Firstly: Who?" followed by calling the celebrity "self-centered" and "trashy" for having a quirky wedding (with zero evidence that any of the actual wedding guests minded the quirks), it comes across to me as very holier-than-thou and judgemental. As if the fact that you haven't heard of her means she's not an "important"-enough celebrity to get away with things you frown upon or something. After all, we manage to discuss the etiquette of hundreds of unknown private citizens who most posters don't know, so why is your not knowing a particular celebrity so important that it leads your entire response? Especially when you, yourself, point out that not knowing who a lot of celebrities are is entirely normal. Your post would have read very differently to me if you had said something like "Can anyone tell me what she's known for? I've never heard of her before," especially you'd commented on the etiquette first (and even if your etiquette assessment had remained harsh).

rose red

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »
I also don't understand comments of "who?" Not on Ehell, just generally on the internet.

My reaction is always "Google/IMDB/Wikipedia is your friend." My impression to "Who?" is that the poster(s) are not really interested in who the person is; they just want to make some kind of point. Because if they are curious, it's very easy to Google. It's also just as easy and more polite to say "I don't know who he/she is, but...........(topic)"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:44:17 AM by rose red »

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
If the "tattoos" were non-permanent (decals or henna) I'd think that was an interesting thing to do...not *my* thing, but interesting.

A permanent tattoo?  I would only expect the bride & groom to care enough about the date to make it a part of their body.  Maybe their parents....but the parents could prefer temporary over permanent.   The guests and wedding party, temporary all the way. 

As to Coco Puffs - don't like them, cake is always my preference for a dessert.  Although there are a lot more flavors in wedding cakes than I remember seeing at weddings when I was growing up (the plainest of white vanilla cake with white vanilla frosting - usually buttercream)...why the focus on plain white everything?  I dunno, no one ever told me *why*, they just served plain white everything = except for the palest pastel mints.  No meals - just cake, punch, and mints.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 01:59:04 PM »
To each their own.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Alicia

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »
I think as long as no pressure on people over tatoos that this wedding sounds not typical not fun not my style but also not rude. It kinda sounds like a publicity stunt. Either way not rude.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 03:35:31 AM »

Do you have to serve Cake at a wedding? Are only certain types of dessert acceptable?
Friend of mine had a savoury "wedding cake": a big three tiered stand of fancy cheeses and different types of biltong (South African variation of salty savoury beef jerky). Mind you, this took place at a game lodge and was generally rather unconventional, so it fit right in with the theme of the wedding (wedding was under a huge old tree in the middle of the bush, groom and groom's men arrived on quad bikes).

Instead of cutting a cake, she and groom cut a big cheese wheel.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »
Wolfway, that sounds like a very individual and unique wedding. And much like the one being discussed, I'm guessing the guests had some idea of what it would be like.

On topic, it wouldn't be my wedding choice, but I don't consider it rude.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Maria16

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »
I don't know if I would have a polite response on hand to such a bizarrely narcissistic request. I would probably assume the bride was joking. I would laugh and say I don't want to get it confused with all of my other tattoo'd occasions. I would also assume the bride was having fun and would not be offended at the decline. If she would, then I do not care.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »

Not that strange. The tone of your post struck me the same way it did cross_patch, even if you didn't intend it that way.

Of course you're allowed to not know or care who various celebrities are, but when you start off with "Firstly: Who?" followed by calling the celebrity "self-centered" and "trashy" for having a quirky wedding (with zero evidence that any of the actual wedding guests minded the quirks), it comes across to me as very holier-than-thou and judgemental. As if the fact that you haven't heard of her means she's not an "important"-enough celebrity to get away with things you frown upon or something. After all, we manage to discuss the etiquette of hundreds of unknown private citizens who most posters don't know, so why is your not knowing a particular celebrity so important that it leads your entire response? Especially when you, yourself, point out that not knowing who a lot of celebrities are is entirely normal. Your post would have read very differently to me if you had said something like "Can anyone tell me what she's known for? I've never heard of her before," especially you'd commented on the etiquette first (and even if your etiquette assessment had remained harsh).

I'd have to say I thought that post calling the couple immature and trashy for tattooing their wedding guests and serving Cocoa Puffs pretty nasty.  I don't really see how those choices make them immature and trashy.  They aren't choices I would make, I know I wouldn't accept being tattooed and wouldn't want to eat Cocoa Puffs, but I still don't think that means they're immature and trashy.

I tried to Google if this were a rumor but couldn't find anything debunking this.