News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 07:04:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You're going to get fat if you eat that!  (Read 12220 times)

Hollyandra

You're going to get fat if you eat that!
« on: December 30, 2016, 06:56:55 PM »
I used 'the power of silence' on a lady at the grocery store last week, after she made a dig at my food choices.

Last week I stopped at the grocery store to do my weekly shopping before heading to my mother's place to have some afternoon tea with her, my cousins and their children. I texted her and asked her if there was anything she needed while I was at the store and she asked me if I could grab a bag of chips for the little ones as it had slipped her mind while she was shopping for things for the afternoon tea.

I walked down the aisle in search of the chips and was standing in front of the shelves, making a selection, when a lady pushed her trolley right in front of me.

Lady *rudely and shaking her finger in my face*: You're going to get fat if you eat that!

I just looked at her in complete silence for a moment and walked around her, grabbed two bags of chips off the shelves saying "Oh, these look tasty" and continued on my way.  >:D

Lady: WELL!

I just don't understand people that have to go out of their way to have a go at strangers about their food/life choices. It's none of their business! Would you have handled it differently?

PS: Can confirm that the chips were very tasty!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:04:44 PM by Hollyandra »

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: You're going to get fat if you eat that!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:32:09 PM »
I think you handled it perfectly! I have to admit I probably would have been startled into being rather rude... :-[
"Set aphasia to stun!"

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:37:07 PM »
"Well, I can lose weight.  I don't know what we're going to do about you."

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »
Silence is the only response. Wow!
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

camlan

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:39:31 PM »
One time I had a bunch of cookies and snack cakes and chips in my shopping cart. A woman stopped me and told me I was too fat to eat all that junk.

It wasn't for me. It was for holiday care packages to two of my brothers who were deployed and who had asked for those snacks.

I just kept walking. No need to engage the crazy.

But jeepers! What a mean and rude thing to say.

And you'll notice that both the OP and I were buying food for other people. Just because you are in a store buying something, does not mean you are the end user of the purchase.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

lakey

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:38:19 PM »
I don't know if it is rude or not, but sometimes when someone says something truly rude, and none of their business to me, I roll my eyes. It's not as confrontational as a verbal response, but gets the message across.

Because of genetics I was blessed with good blood pressure, when I was younger rather low. One time I was in a restaurant eating a pork chop. When I sprinkled some salt on it a woman at another table told that that was the worst thing to me. I gave a bit of an eye roll and then ignored her.
Food police are especially annoying.

Hollyandra

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 12:05:29 AM »
I hope your brothers enjoyed the care packages Camlan! How rude of that woman.

My mother always said "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all." Looks like the food police (thank you for the term lakey) missed that crucial lesson.

Funny thing is, I'm quite skinny, so I don't think a couple of bags of chips would have hurt me.  ;)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 01:05:38 AM »
Not to mention that fat does not equal bad! or morally wrong, or 'naughty', or 'lazy', or 'slob', or any of the negative things people conflate it with. It doesn't even mean you're automatically unhealthy. And even if it did, it would still be nobody else's beeswax. ::) :-X
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Hollyandra

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 01:16:59 AM »
Exactly right Mel!

You can't seem to win with these people either. I have a friend who is eats healthy, trains daily and is quite muscly. Yet, whenever I'm out having a coffee or lunch with her, I hear strangers complaining that 'she doesn't look like a proper woman' or 'she's got far too many muscles.' It boils my blood.

It's absolutely none of their business. It's her life, she's happy, so sit down, shut up and get over it.  >:(

knitwicca

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
Oh the food police.....

A few years ago I dated a guy (for far too long) who was a vegan. He had a heart attack years before I met him which was why he went to a vegan diet. He also prefers petite women.  He was constantly judging my food choices.... "you are going to get fat", "I am not telling you what eat but...."

The most ironic thing is that he put on a lot of weight on his vegan diet because he eats huge amounts of carbs. He is also protein deprived (it shoes in his nails and hair) but had no problem telling every woman he knew how we ate the wrong foods.

I am naturally thin. Ihave heard too many comments about how I need to eat more from other people in my life ( thanks, Mom)

TurtleDove

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 07:41:58 PM »
Commenting on other's food choices unsolicited is one of my major pet peeves. The woman in the OP was both rude and wrong. There are no "bad" foods or "foods that will make you fat." An appropriate diet (meaning overall nutritional intake and not a restricting sense of the word) looks different for different people. Sure, some foods should be consumed less frequently than others to maintain a healthy balance, but we all need protein, carbs, and yes, fat. Sorry that happened to you, OP. Silence was probably the best option!

I have a lot of people ask me about what I eat (and what they should eat because they trust my judgment here) and I always ask about their activity level, lifestyle, and what they actually enjoy eating before making a recommendation. Telling someone who loves sweets they can never have them, and that sweets are "bad" (as are those who eat sweets) is a recipe for disaster. Sweets are not bad. Too many sweets can lead to a lack of proper nutrition coupled with an excessive calorie intake, however. Finding a balance that works is what, well, works. Not blanket "X food is BAD" statements.

NFPwife

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
I know I've mentioned some of this on here before, my husband is a bodybuilder. You cannot believe the comments we get about our cart. He bought groceries a couple weeks ago and the cashier asked if he owns a restaurant. (I wish I'd been there for that one.) One lady asked if I run an orphanage. We had someone ask if we were having a party when we had what I thought were some obviously non-party items. We usually laugh those off.

I haven't bought groceries alone in forever, but when I did I would get the occasional, "You're not going to eat all that are you?" and I'd usually say, "Yep, before midnight tonight."

I've had people survey what I eat or what I'm buying and decide that some food was the "magic bullet" and then consume that food. The best was when I pulled habanero sauce out at work and a co-worker/friend said, "That's how she stays thin, I heard hot sauce increases your metabolism!" I said, "I just really like this." She bought that sauce and put it on everything. For about one day. She came into work telling me, in hilarious detail, about her hot sauce side effects.

My food police citations come around artificial sweetener and salt. The doc told me to eat more salt b/c my bp is very low and my family has a history of diabetes, the artificial sweetener works for me. I don't JADE. I just say, "Thanks for the info," while I open a packet of sweet and low or put salt on my food.

Betelnut

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »
I sometimes will say, in a dull monotone, "Duely noted."
Native Texan, Marylander currently

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 10:38:19 AM »
I, as a cashier, see all kinds of carts of groceries. I would never, ever food police these carts, I do however, make light of the carts. My customers know I am joking when I say things like "you must be feeding an army" or "where's the party, can I come if I bring rum?" It does irritate me, when people complain about their weight, or how bad their body hurts because of the weight when they are buying only junk food. I only make comments in my head. If someone is buying something that I am unfamiliar with, I will ask about the items. I've asked about fruits and vegies that are common for Hispanic people to buy, what they taste like and how to prepare them. I've asked people about their tea purchase, if it's something I am not familiar with.

We have a lot of body builders in town, plus a small college, and a semipro baseball team. These carts usually have lots of fruit vegies, chicken and protein powder. If someone really can't figure out that the cart is an athletes, then there is something wrong with them. To them, I may ask if it's their turn to feed the team.

To the food police..."I might be fat, but you're ugly, and I can lose weight!"

TurtleDove

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
It does irritate me, when people complain about their weight, or how bad their body hurts because of the weight when they are buying only junk food. I only make comments in my head.

This exactly. If someone specifically asks for input I will provide it. Otherwise I ignore or keep my thoughts to myself.