News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 02:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You're going to get fat if you eat that!  (Read 12225 times)

Moonie

Re: You're going to get fat if you eat that!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
You all are better than me because evil Moonie would have looked in her basket and said something like:
1. I hear that if you buy xxxx, it will make you rude.
2. I hear that if you eat xxx, it will make you stupid.

This is why evil Moonie is not allowed to go out in public.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
The absolute worst eaters that I know of have been on some plan or other (both with Fast in the name), and then were frustrated when they never lost weight or made their chronic metabolic related illness worst.

I only offer opinions if someone asks what I'm doing, or notices my progress and asks.

Otherwise, I consider them grown adults and only intercede if a medical event occurs in my presence.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Team HoundMom

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »
I've been the "food police" before.  When I visited my parents I'd bring them each a Timmies hot chocolate.  But then I read the ingredients and decided that I didn't want to feed my parents a chemical (poop)storm anymore so one day I didn't bring anything.  Well my stepdad actually got upset - "Some of us LIKE the chemicals!!" - so from now on I bring hot chocolate, but from a different café where it doesn't come out of a machine. 

NFPwife

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »
The absolute worst eaters that I know of have been on some plan or other (both with Fast in the name), and then were frustrated when they never lost weight or made their chronic metabolic related illness worst.

I only offer opinions if someone asks what I'm doing, or notices my progress and asks.

Otherwise, I consider them grown adults and only intercede if a medical event occurs in my presence.

I might be sliding into threadacking territory here, but I've noticed that even when people ask they frequently have something negative to say about it. For instance, if you're doing low carb / high protein then they have tons of opinions on why that's bad. Or vice versa for low fat/ high carb. I recently added something new to my regimen and lost about 7 pounds, which looks like more on a short person, and I'm already getting weary of the responses of those who've questioned what I'm doing differently.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »

I might be sliding into threadacking territory here, but I've noticed that even when people ask they frequently have something negative to say about it. For instance, if you're doing low carb / high protein then they have tons of opinions on why that's bad. Or vice versa for low fat/ high carb. I recently added something new to my regimen and lost about 7 pounds, which looks like more on a short person, and I'm already getting weary of the responses of those who've questioned what I'm doing differently.

My usual reply is "watching what I eat" or "cutting out junk food". If the conversation continues and the person honestly wants to know, though, I get more detailed.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

NFPwife

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
I start with, "I made a couple tweaks," and try to move along. If the person pushes or asks more, I give the details. Then, they declare them unreasonable, unhealthy, etc.

LiaHabitana

• Whoagirls
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 04:48:40 AM »
"Well, I can lose weight.  I don't know what we're going to do about you."

The best response here.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »
SnarkyDiane response: "Do you really think so?" ::Snatches a third bag:: "Thanks! Nothing else has worked, so I'm going to try your method!"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 11:48:55 AM »
I have dealt with the food police most of my life.  It's amazing how many people think they know what will help me control my diabetes better.  I calculate my carbohydrates according to the meal plan my doctor and nutritionist created with me.  People seem utterly amazed that I actually eat...gasp...potatoes.

Silence is usually the best treatment for the food police.  If I have to respond, I usually say "my doctor and I have this covered".

Mommyoops

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »
I had stopped at 7-11 once and decided to grab each of my 4 kids a treat. A guy in line behind me reprimanded me (I am a size 2-4) for my purchases. I coldly pointed out one that it was not for me, two that I have four kids for whom the treats were for, three that even if it were all for me why does he care, and four he was making quite the assumption. I was floored to be honest.

NFPwife

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »
Here's the thing that I find equal parts amusing / aggravating - most food police that I know are all information and judgement and very little personal application. So, while they are on their third glass of wine, they're criticizing the caffeine in my tea. Or telling me how bad the artificial sweetener in my tea is while they scarf a slice of pie for dessert. I use silence as well. Sometimes a pointed look at their plate glass if I'm feeling spicy or things have gone on too long -- that's usually met with a "I'm being bad today, I'll be good starting 'X'." Ohhhhh......

Polly

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
Here's the thing that I find equal parts amusing / aggravating - most food police that I know are all information and judgement and very little personal application. So, while they are on their third glass of wine, they're criticizing the caffeine in my tea. Or telling me how bad the artificial sweetener in my tea is while they scarf a slice of pie for dessert. I use silence as well. Sometimes a pointed look at their plate glass if I'm feeling spicy or things have gone on too long -- that's usually met with a "I'm being bad today, I'll be good starting 'X'." Ohhhhh......
Interesting observation! I remember I was eating a single fun-sized chocolate bar, and my flatmate at the time lectured me about it, while she was smoking a cigarette. I wasn't even close to overweight at the time, and took a lot of exercise (I wish I was that fit and healthy now!). It was a long time ago but it stayed with me because...well...!

Roses

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
I, as a cashier, see all kinds of carts of groceries. I would never, ever food police these carts, I do however, make light of the carts. My customers know I am joking when I say things like "you must be feeding an army" or "where's the party, can I come if I bring rum?" It does irritate me, when people complain about their weight, or how bad their body hurts because of the weight when they are buying only junk food. I only make comments in my head. If someone is buying something that I am unfamiliar with, I will ask about the items. I've asked about fruits and vegies that are common for Hispanic people to buy, what they taste like and how to prepare them. I've asked people about their tea purchase, if it's something I am not familiar with.

We have a lot of body builders in town, plus a small college, and a semipro baseball team. These carts usually have lots of fruit vegies, chicken and protein powder. If someone really can't figure out that the cart is an athletes, then there is something wrong with them. To them, I may ask if it's their turn to feed the team.

To the food police..."I might be fat, but you're ugly, and I can lose weight!"

What if you said that, even jokingly, to someone who lived by themselves? Don't you think that would be hurtful, if they were overweight?

I agree. I really dislike it when cashiers comment on my purchases. I don't say anything because it would likely come off as petty, so the cashiers I encounter who do it probably think it's okay because they think I know they are joking. Yes, I know that, but I dislike it. I'd rather make my purchases and be on my way without being quizzed about the items I am buying or hearing commentary, even joking commentary.

+1 for disliking  cashiers commenting on my purchases.  There is one particular cashier at the store I shop at that commented on the food - every - single - time.  Oh you got tomatoes, what are you going to make.  Oh look you got toilet paper.  Oh - you buy a lot of vegetables, what do you do with them.  I no longer get in her line.  And I complained to management.  Not only did it take her forever to ring up my purchases, but she was looking for me to respond and engage  to her comments. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »
I, as a cashier, see all kinds of carts of groceries. I would never, ever food police these carts, I do however, make light of the carts. My customers know I am joking when I say things like "you must be feeding an army" or "where's the party, can I come if I bring rum?" It does irritate me, when people complain about their weight, or how bad their body hurts because of the weight when they are buying only junk food. I only make comments in my head. If someone is buying something that I am unfamiliar with, I will ask about the items. I've asked about fruits and vegies that are common for Hispanic people to buy, what they taste like and how to prepare them. I've asked people about their tea purchase, if it's something I am not familiar with.

We have a lot of body builders in town, plus a small college, and a semipro baseball team. These carts usually have lots of fruit vegies, chicken and protein powder. If someone really can't figure out that the cart is an athletes, then there is something wrong with them. To them, I may ask if it's their turn to feed the team.

What if you said that, even jokingly, to someone who lived by themselves? Don't you think that would be hurtful, if they were overweight?

I agree. I really dislike it when cashiers comment on my purchases. I don't say anything because it would likely come off as petty, so the cashiers I encounter who do it probably think it's okay because they think I know they are joking. Yes, I know that, but I dislike it. I'd rather make my purchases and be on my way without being quizzed about the items I am buying or hearing commentary, even joking commentary.

+1 for disliking  cashiers commenting on my purchases.  There is one particular cashier at the store I shop at that commented on the food - every - single - time.  Oh you got tomatoes, what are you going to make.  Oh look you got toilet paper.  Oh - you buy a lot of vegetables, what do you do with them.  I no longer get in her line.  And I complained to management.  Not only did it take her forever to ring up my purchases, but she was looking for me to respond and engage  to her comments.

"Oh, you bought six of [item], you must really like them." (Me thinking) "Let's see, I came into a food sales establishment, acquired multiples of an item, and now I plan to pay money to take them home with me. You win, CSI grocery person, your detective skills are beyond reproach."

NFPwife

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »

I can't stand it either. I've said on here (and maybe even in this thread) that my DH is a bodybuilder and I cannot stand the comments on our cart from fellow shoppers and cashiers. From everything to "Do you run an orphanage?" "Do you own a restaurant?" "Are you having a big party?" to, on this last trip, "What are you going to do with all this peanut butter?" (I deadpanned, "Eat it.")

The comments are worse when I'm alone and DH has taken over the majority of the grocery shopping so I don't have to deal with it as much. Trader Joe's cashiers are the worst, IMO. I think they're trained to make small talk and be engaging and I guess commenting on the groceries seems to be the easiest thing, but I just don't want to have that conversation. Let's talk about the weather, the local sports teams, N. Korea, anything but the groceries.