News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 04:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You're going to get fat if you eat that!  (Read 12295 times)

Yvaine

Re: You're going to get fat if you eat that!
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »

I'm guessing you can't relay to your superiors that some customers so have an issue with it? I mean, I'm less introverted than I used to be, but even then I'm really only conversing because it's rude not to. In all honesty, I'd rather put the stuff on the belt, pay, and get going. We *do* recognize that it's not your (general you) idea, though. :)

We can talk to the supervisors all we want about this, but they don't listen. If customers want changes, they need to do the surveys.

And now we reach the customer catch-22. We're all familiar with the concept that if there's anything less than a stellar, glowing review, then management comes down on the worker like a ton of bricks. So, if we complain about something that's not the worker's fault on a survey, they get in trouble. If we don't complain, nothing gets fixed.

Long story short, businesses need to stop looking at a 9.999999999999 out of 10 as a failure.

Yep. And they need to realize that sometimes the gripe is actually with corporate and not with the individual worker.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »
All marketing surveys I have seen results from said that customers want an engaging and cheerful cashier. It's corporate policy for the cashier's to be that way.

We're getting way off topic. I would like to mention my coworker who scolded me for drinking diet soda. I drink one per day.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

TaterTot

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »
Here's the thing that I find equal parts amusing / aggravating - most food police that I know are all information and judgement and very little personal application. So, while they are on their third glass of wine, they're criticizing the caffeine in my tea. Or telling me how bad the artificial sweetener in my tea is while they scarf a slice of pie for dessert. I use silence as well. Sometimes a pointed look at their plate glass if I'm feeling spicy or things have gone on too long -- that's usually met with a "I'm being bad today, I'll be good starting 'X'." Ohhhhh......
Interesting observation! I remember I was eating a single fun-sized chocolate bar, and my flatmate at the time lectured me about it, while she was smoking a cigarette. I wasn't even close to overweight at the time, and took a lot of exercise (I wish I was that fit and healthy now!). It was a long time ago but it stayed with me because...well...!

That reminds of me the time I was at a Renaissance Festival, standing in a food line. Two young ladies were standing in front of me, talking to each other. I overheard them complain about how disgusting it was to eat turkey legs - meat, how horrible! All the while smoking ciggies.  Now, I totally respect vegetarians and vegans, but I just found it ironic how they were ok to engage in what most others think is an unhealthy habit while disparaging what they thought was another one.

While I was drinking a diet soda, a heavy smoker once told me that he didn't consume artificial sweeteners because they caused cancer. ::)

vintagegal

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »
Here's the thing that I find equal parts amusing / aggravating - most food police that I know are all information and judgement and very little personal application. So, while they are on their third glass of wine, they're criticizing the caffeine in my tea. Or telling me how bad the artificial sweetener in my tea is while they scarf a slice of pie for dessert. I use silence as well. Sometimes a pointed look at their plate glass if I'm feeling spicy or things have gone on too long -- that's usually met with a "I'm being bad today, I'll be good starting 'X'." Ohhhhh......
Interesting observation! I remember I was eating a single fun-sized chocolate bar, and my flatmate at the time lectured me about it, while she was smoking a cigarette. I wasn't even close to overweight at the time, and took a lot of exercise (I wish I was that fit and healthy now!). It was a long time ago but it stayed with me because...well...!

That reminds of me the time I was at a Renaissance Festival, standing in a food line. Two young ladies were standing in front of me, talking to each other. I overheard them complain about how disgusting it was to eat turkey legs - meat, how horrible! All the while smoking ciggies.  Now, I totally respect vegetarians and vegans, but I just found it ironic how they were ok to engage in what most others think is an unhealthy habit while disparaging what they thought was another one.

I had a vegan tell me once that some of them smoke because they feel they are protected by their vegan lifestyle. Good luck with that.

I always try to be extremely nice and pleasant to cashiers to make up for the tough customers. I had one ask me once, "Did you find everything you were looking for?" to which I answered, "I even found some things I wasn't looking for!"