• March 21, 2018, 06:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yes. I'm talking about Meryl  (Read 2828 times)

Yes. I'm talking about Meryl
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
I avoided watching the Meryl Streep Golden Globe thingy on-line and tried to avoid any conversation about it because I loathe Hollywood involvement in politics.  But my husband watched and became very upset about it and made me watch. 
We must stick to etiquette so I will not be mentioning anything political she discussed.  But there were too points of her speech that I felt was extremely condescending and I would say was poor etiquette in terms of the idea that a wealthy, successful (and apparently powerful) person should not publicly infer that the general public is ignorant and crude.

I'm sure many of you are thinking where did I pull this up from so here goes.

She stated that without the arts all we would be left with is UFC and mixed martial arts and they are not arts.  This is the part that upset my husband because he is a big fan of UFC and martial arts.  He spoke to me at length about how very much these things are an art and I can't list it here because I don't understand completely.  I'm not a fan, but he is so I'll take his word for it.  What I found distasteful about this is Meryl's need to use a form of entertainment she loathes as a counterpoint to show the value of actors.  The thing is, UFC and Mixed Martial arts are an immigrant heavy and honestly lower income oriented entertainment.  And this is one area I am suggesting she was inferring that the lower classes are crude. 

I really don't enjoy UFC, but it has given fighters born in to poverty with no great prospects an opportunity to see the world, to experience success and have the chance to change the lives of their families and their future generations.  For this they work very hard, they train very hard, they are disciplined and ambitious and I just don't think they deserve Meryl Streeps or anyone else's sneer. (I looked up Connor MagGregor as an example, he grew up in Irish slums, at 18 was training to be a plumber but took kickboxing classes, competed, won a couple of fights and is now a record breaking champ worth millions of dollars.  Good for him.)

The thing that hit me as opposed to my husband was when Meryl was talking about how important actors were because actors play the parts of people, that the general public may not come across and we, the (apparently ignorant) general public can then imagine what others life may be like.  O.k. but take it easy lady.  I've read Timon of Athens, but I've never seen it acted out, does she think I don't properly understand it?  I've read Ayaan Hirsi Ali's autobiography, her tale of a Somalian refugee that became a member of Dutch parliament, a writer, an activist and more. But maybe, since I haven't see this book turned into a movie, I may not be able to understand it.  I know I'm using personal experiences but, does she really think that the general public don't read?  Does she think we don't talk to each other and listen?  Does she think that we have never met people with different lives, from different countries, from different cultures, with different experiences?

What do you think?  Her political agenda aside, wasn't this horribly condescending?  The parts of the speech that I illustrated above.  Was there any need to sneer at martial arts? Maybe if she saw the film "Somebody up There Likes Me", with Paul Newman, she may change her mind.  Or "Million Dollar Baby"?  Maybe she's the one that can't understand what it's like to not be her unless she sees it in a film.

Also, actors, out of respect, should never say how great they are without mentioning the writers, cinematographers, artists and sound technicians who make them what they are.

I have to say, I haven't watched the rest of the speech.  I stopped there so I don't know what else she said, but I can't emphasis enough how much I just want opinions on the two points I made above, because I really do want your opinions, and if we delve into any other parts of the speech, this thread will just get locked.

Was it rude of her to talk about the UFC and (I think she mentioned football) this way?
Was she being condescending when she emphasized the importance of actors in delivering information about human kind to the general public?
Was she rude to completely disregard the role that writers and other have in creating the form of the delivering the information she speaks of?

• Global Moderator
Re: Yes. I'm talking about Meryl
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
OP, this is a political post and your attempt to turn Ms Streep's speech into an etiquette issue will not fly. Perhaps you need to reread the rules. If you try it again, to bring politics to this board at this very turbulent time in the USA, you will be permanently banned.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.