News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 30, 2017, 12:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When you don't want to tell your coworker you're applying for a promot -update  (Read 5770 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Re: When you don't want to tell your coworker you're applying for a promotion
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 12:25:56 PM »
First, good luck, and don't sell yourself short.

If Miss Chiponhershoulder asks, white lie it, so you don't get negative feed back. You may have to give your boss a heads up about this as well, just in case.

I would simply tell her you asked boss if you could "cold run" an interview. Tell her you know it's too high a position for you, but this way you can get feed back without having to be under pressure of an actual interview.

*Sorry I missed your update.

People with attitude problems don't think they have one, and no amount of telling them they have to change it does any good, anyway. They think it's every one else's problem.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:28:33 PM by wonderfullyanonymous »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
First, good luck, and don't sell yourself short.

If Miss Chiponhershoulder asks, white lie it, so you don't get negative feed back. You may have to give your boss a heads up about this as well, just in case.

I would simply tell her you asked boss if you could "cold run" an interview. Tell her you know it's too high a position for you, but this way you can get feed back without having to be under pressure of an actual interview.

*Sorry I missed your update.

People with attitude problems don't think they have one, and no amount of telling them they have to change it does any good, anyway. They think it's every one else's problem.

No don't lie.  There's no need to.  Other posters have given really good advice on how to navigate these type of situations. 
Maryland

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 06:07:25 PM »
For future reference, you could say, "I'm giving a presentation today," and leave it at that. It's the strict truth and the why is none of her business.

Good luck!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

DavidH

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 06:18:48 PM »
If someone asked me if I had applied for a position, I'd tell them if it were something they'd clearly figure out anyway or at least say that I'd seen the posting and it looked interesting.  If they asked if they should apply, I'd say that if they are interested, they should talk to the hiring manager or their current boss about what the best approach was.  I'd give the same advice whether or not I thought they'd get the job, because that part isn't up to me.  If they complained to me that they weren't encouraged to apply, I'd be sympathetic and suggest they talk to their boss or the hiring manger about why they weren't encouraged and what they should do to position themselves for the next opportunity.

learningtofly

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
Hi Everyone,

OP here.  So I didn't get the job, but I received great feedback and made it to the top three.  It got my name out there and I got to impress the head of my department.  I'm thrilled!  Also a little disappointed.  I hadn't realized how much I wanted it until I realized I might not get it.  The person who got the job is going to be amazing in this position and I'm happy for her.  Already told her as well.

I talked with my boss and in light of the feedback have told her I want to capitalize on getting the promotion to one level up.  She's 100% behind me on this, but the next round of promotions are months away.  I'm glad I have her support.  Now I just need there to be money in the budget.

I'm really glad I went for the position.  My coworker is none the wiser that I've applied.  She was curious when 5-6 people went in and out of the director's office in one afternoon and she deduced they were the candidates.  So glad he had called me in to talk in the morning!  Thank you for the advice and confidence boosters!

LTF

Mustard

A great update LTF; you're in a good position now, and Ms Stickybeak is none the wiser!

cicero

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »
yay! I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but it sounds like you've taken a giant step forward in your career.

Hi Everyone,

OP here.  So I didn't get the job, but I received great feedback and made it to the top three.  It got my name out there and I got to impress the head of my department.  I'm thrilled!  Also a little disappointed.  I hadn't realized how much I wanted it until I realized I might not get it.  The person who got the job is going to be amazing in this position and I'm happy for her.  Already told her as well.

I talked with my boss and in light of the feedback have told her I want to capitalize on getting the promotion to one level up.  She's 100% behind me on this, but the next round of promotions are months away.  I'm glad I have her support.  Now I just need there to be money in the budget.

I'm really glad I went for the position.  My coworker is none the wiser that I've applied.  She was curious when 5-6 people went in and out of the director's office in one afternoon and she deduced they were the candidates.  So glad he had called me in to talk in the morning!  Thank you for the advice and confidence boosters!

LTF

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TabathasGran

Sounds like you have great prospects for the future and glad to hear your coworker was none the wiser.

gramma dishes

Sounds like you have great prospects for the future and glad to hear your coworker was none the wiser.

Yes, this.  You handled all of this well.

And kudos to your boss too.  Sounds like she handled her end of it skillfully and in a way that protected you.  She's a good one.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
That's a really great update, good job!
"After all this time?"
"Always."