News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 27, 2017, 09:35:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to say honeymoon fund?  (Read 2557 times)

Carotte

Re: How to say honeymoon fund?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »
Are they using a honeymoon registry (online booking/registry service) or saying they'd earmark the money gifts for the honeymoon?

Either way, something like:

"alternatively, should you wish to contribute to the honeymoon fund, please -find our honeymoonregistry.com page here/adress the cheque/money to-"

or,

"As well as building a household together we are looking forward to making memories as a maried couple, as such you may find our registry at BB&B and a honeymoon fund at XYZ" ?

TurtleDove

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 09:32:30 AM »
The problem w/ an official honeymoon registry is it really does look like the couple is asking for money. Because they are. And that can turn people off.
  Plus, they always take a cut of the money--and lots of people who are willing to give money are happy to write a check. People already do that anyway.
   And sometimes the way the honeymoon registry is organized is sort of offensive or offputting

However, I think it's almost better to flat-out say:

"We've registered some gift ideas at BB&B. We are also hoping some people will want to help us with our honeymoon, so we can create memories that will last a lifetime."

Or sometimes you say, "We have so much of what we need for our new home together; there are gift ideas on our registry at BB&B for people who want to give a physical gift."   And leave sort of unspoken, "but cash is what's most likely to be useful." And then you use the cash any way you want.

I think saying nothing is best. Register for what you want, don't register for things you don't. Presumably the people you have invited to your wedding know you and want to give you what you will appreciate. (all yous general).

I personally have no problem with whatever registry a couple makes, because I want to give the couple what they would most appreciate. But the bolded comes across a little weird to me unless said in response to a direct question. I wouldn't state it outright on an invitation or website.

gellchom

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
I agree.  The less you say, the better.  "Petunia and Cuthbert are registered at XYZ and ABC."  Period.

Don't go on and tell them what you're hoping for most or graciously agreeing to accept.  Definitively don't try to "give him them permission" to "go off registry."   No one has to buy from the registry in the first place, and the more you protest that you are fine with gifts of their own choosing, the more it sounds like you really aren't. 

If you'd rather have cash, for a honeymoon or anything else, just don't register for much (or anything).  People will ask you or your parents or friends, and then -- because they asked -- it's okay to answer that you/they are trying to save for a honeymoon/car/house/whatever.

Whenever you find yourself struggling too hard for wording that won't sound greedy, tacky, or pushy, there's a very good chance the problem isn't the wording.  There's just a limit to how far you can go, politely, to control others' generosity toward you. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:21:52 PM by gellchom »

TurtleDove

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »

Whenever you find yourself struggling too hard for wording that won't sound greedy, tacky, or pushy, there's a very good chance the problem isn't the wording. 

This statement is exceptional! It applies to just about anything!