News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 16, 2018, 12:04:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!  (Read 395161 times)

gramma dishes

Re: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!
« Reply #2115 on: January 02, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
Is a food shelf client what I think it is?   ???

vintagegal

« Reply #2116 on: January 02, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
yes

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2117 on: January 02, 2018, 06:35:44 PM »
Massive Shopping SS and a bit of just me and personal space crabbiness..

DH and I went shopping yesterday with DD. We went to Dillards, as on New Years Day, Dillards has 50% off sales on everything already marked down, and it was VERY. BUSY.

Which Dillard's location was this ? You must let them know on social media how cool headed their employee was under pressure.

Twik

« Reply #2118 on: January 03, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »

DH and I went shopping yesterday with DD. We went to Dillards, as on New Years Day, Dillards has 50% off sales on everything already marked down, and it was VERY. BUSY.

Which Dillard's location was this ? You must let them know on social media how cool headed their employee was under pressure.

If you do I hope your result is better than the time I sent an e-mail to United Airways complimenting them on one of their staff who, faced with a major storm and several cancelled flights, worked non-stop for several hours without a sigh or eyeroll and got everyone rebooked to their satisfaction.

My e-mail: Just wanted to say how good your employee X was during a trying period. She was wonderful and should be recognized for her hard work and pleasant attitude.

First e-mail from United: Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're very sorry and will try to do better in future.

Two days later, 2nd e-mail from United: Um, was that a compliment? Thank you!

They obviously didn't get many people during that period saying nice things.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

DanaJ

« Reply #2119 on: January 03, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »

My e-mail: Just wanted to say how good your employee X was during a trying period. She was wonderful and should be recognized for her hard work and pleasant attitude.

First e-mail from United: Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're very sorry and will try to do better in future.

You've gotta love businesses that don't listen to you. We ordered two, white light fixtures (only available online). We received a green one and a blue one. We exchanged them for the white ones and since it was their warehouse error the retailer covered return shipping.

Now, the retailer we were dealing with was great, but they used a different Payment Service Provider (PSP) and they were terrible. The PSP did not have paperwork available to process exchanges, only returns. It was as if they could not conceive of the idea that someone could get the wrong size or color. We kept arguing with the PSP that they were sending us the wrong paperwork. They would say "sorry" and send us the same wrong paperwork again.

We got our white lights, but after the electrician hardwired the we discovered one was damaged. Again, the company was great. They just refunded us the full costs of the lights. Our electrician was able to bend the damaged one mostly back, so unless you know it's warped, you probably won't notice.

However, there was still the issue of the original exchange. No matter how many times we told the PSP: "This is NOT a return, your paperwork is wrong. This is an exchange ó do not refund!" they still went ahead processed their incorrect paperwork, so the exchage was credited as a return. So not only did we get the lights for free, we were paid $300 to take them.

We still tried to sort it out with the retailer, but there was no mechanism for us to pay without going through the PSP again, which would have resulted in a fresh order of new lights. So the retailer gave up and lost out on the cost of the lights, plus the cost of the "return."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:03:50 PM by DanaJ »

Kiwipinball

« Reply #2120 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »

You've gotta love businesses that don't listen to you. We ordered two, white light fixtures (only available online). We received a green one and a blue one. We exchanged them for the white ones and since it was their warehouse error the retailer covered return shipping.

Now, the retailer we were dealing with was great, but they used a different Payment Service Provider (PSP) and they were terrible. The PSP did not have paperwork available to process exchanges, only returns. It was as if they could not conceive of the idea that someone could get the wrong size or color. We kept arguing with the PSP that they were sending us the wrong paperwork. They would say "sorry" and send us the same wrong paperwork again.

We got our white lights, but after the electrician hardwired the we discovered one was damaged. Again, the company was great. They just refunded us the full costs of the lights. Our electrician was able to bend the damaged one mostly back, so unless you know it's warped, you probably won't notice.

However, there was still the issue of the original exchange. No matter how many times we told the PSP: "This is NOT a return, your paperwork is wrong. This is an exchange ó do not refund![/i]" they still went ahead processed their incorrect paperwork, so the exchage was credited as a return. So not only did we get the lights for free, we were paid $300 to take them.

We still tried to sort it out with the retailer, but there was no mechanism for us to pay without going through the PSP again, which would have resulted in a fresh order of new lights. So the retailer gave up and lost out on the cost of the lights, plus the cost of the "return."

Methinks they may be considering a new PSP in their future. Nice deal for you though. You got to be honest and benefit!

gmatoy

« Reply #2121 on: January 04, 2018, 12:39:04 AM »

If you do I hope your result is better than the time I sent an e-mail to United Airways complimenting them on one of their staff who, faced with a major storm and several cancelled flights, worked non-stop for several hours without a sigh or eyeroll and got everyone rebooked to their satisfaction.

They obviously didn't get many people during that period saying nice things.

Several years ago, the UPS delivery guy was very wonderful about delivering a Kitchen Aid mixer in a damaged box. I called to do a compliment and left a message with someone. A supervisor called me back. Asked me to tell him about my delivery. So I did, praising the delivery guy again. Dead silence. Then: "Wait, you called to compliment our guy?"
Me: "Yes, I hope that a compliment will help him in the future, because he is the type of person you want to keep!"
Supervisor: "This will go into his permanent record. And, and, well, thank you!"

Peppergirl

« Reply #2122 on: January 04, 2018, 06:38:30 AM »
 ;D ;D I absolutely love shocking businesses when I call or email a compliment!  It's also a sad commentary that so many are shocked when they receive one.

Even more shocking is when you call a business to pass along an apology to a call-center agent when you've been unduly snippy with her in a previous conversation.  This poor supervisor almost fell out of his chair. 

Hillia

« Reply #2123 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »
Schools also have this reaction when a parent backs them up.  My son was a difficult teen and was no stranger to the vice principal's office.  He came home one day and told me he was suspended for 3 days.  His story about why sounded odd, so i went down to the school to talk to the vice principal.  You could see him brace himself as he explained the situation.  When i said Ok, thanks, that's basically the story I got at home, we'll handle it there and send him back in3 days, he didn't know what to say - he was expecting me to rage about how my precious darling couldn't possibly have done anything wrong and they were just being mean.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #2124 on: January 04, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »

This happened to me once, I emailed a hotel to thank them for being so good when my mom and her little dog stayed there.  I got back the "We're very sorry and will try to do better in future" reply so I wrote back and was like "I hope you sent this by accident, lol" and she replied apologizing and said yes, she accidentally sent that form one out of habit!

Twik

« Reply #2125 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
It's sad that service people hear so often when things go wrong, but don't get praised often when things go well.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mustard

« Reply #2126 on: January 04, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
I called the local council to thank them for sending someone out to clean up the pavement outside our house (dog fouling). The first man just didnít understand at first that I wasnít complaining.  He then passed me on to two more departments so I could repeat the compliments.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #2127 on: January 04, 2018, 06:34:20 PM »

Schools also have this reaction when a parent backs them up.  My son was a difficult teen and was no stranger to the vice principal's office.  He came home one day and told me he was suspended for 3 days.  His story about why sounded odd, so i went down to the school to talk to the vice principal.  You could see him brace himself as he explained the situation.  When i said Ok, thanks, that's basically the story I got at home, we'll handle it there and send him back in3 days, he didn't know what to say - he was expecting me to rage about how my precious darling couldn't possibly have done anything wrong and they were just being mean.

In junior high, my daughter was hanging out with a young lady who had some issues behaving. I no longer welcomed the girl into my house when she took some change and some cough drops, which I told my daughter. Anyway, The school liaison officer called me to talk about the friendship between my daughter and the girl. I told him I knew who he was talking about, and that she wasn't welcome in my house. I also told him that if she got into trouble to scare the h*** out of her. He said, "Oh, I can't do that she's a good kid." I told him I knew she was a good kid, and I want her to stay that way, and if she gets into trouble, you have my permission to scare her. I figured, he must not get that very much.

When I was dept manager for housewares, I had a customer, who was a little needy, but I always helped her to the best of my ability. One day, I was particularly busy, and I saw her coming. All I could think of was "I don't have time for this today." Then she said something that made me feel like a complete heel. 

"I just want to thank you for always being so helpful. You are always so nice, and I really appreciate it."

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #2128 on: January 04, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
It's sad that service people hear so often when things go wrong, but don't get praised often when things go well.

This is why I try to remember to say something when I'm happy.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

schnauzermom

« Reply #2129 on: January 04, 2018, 10:49:50 PM »
I needed help from the IRS with my dad's estate. The representative that I talked to was so kind and helpful, I wanted to let a supervisor know that I recieved such wonderful service, when I asked the rep. for a number to call and compliment she was shocked (that doesn't happen a lot) I think I made her day.

Karen