News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 03:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Double Yolk Eggs-weird or not so much?  (Read 1736 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Double Yolk Eggs-weird or not so much?
« on: January 25, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »
I wasn't quite sure where to put this question, so forgive me if this is wrong.

The last dozen eggs I purchased had four with double yolks. It's kind of weirded me out! Prior to that I was still getting double yolks from time to time...but four at once? Is it just me or is that really odd?

It makes me wonder what they are feeding their chickens. Or are they putting bad stuff in their feed?

I know it's probably a dumb question but it just seems so odd to me.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Outdoor Girl

Re: Double Yolk Eggs-weird or not so much?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
While the law of averages does make getting 4 double yolk eggs in one dozen a bit of a statistical anomaly, it isn't too weird, especially depending on what size of eggs you buy and from where.

When my Mom bought 'Jumbo 747' eggs from the grocery store, they were very large and often had double yolks, usually one or two every couple of dozen or so.  I now buy my eggs from an organic, free range, fed the Omega 3 diet though not certified, farm.  I have only had one double yolk in about 4 years.  But I also pick up eggs for colleagues when I'm there and my one colleague got 3 double yolkers in the same dozen.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
My experience is the opposite of Outdoor Girl's. We pick up eggs that are from a local farm, and almost all of a 15 pack were double yolks. It was amazing!
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Erich L-ster

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
It may have happened that the eggs came from the same chicken, who has a genetic predisposition for twins.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »
As an egg grader, it's normal for there to be double yolks in what we call the "super jumbo" sized eggs-- that is, eggs that don't fit into a carton that easily or that well.

It depends on a whole lot of factors, including their feed, their environment, and the random genetic lottery. :)

Captains Flat, Australia

pattycake

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »
I get farm eggs, and usually they are really large. So much so that the small ones look abnormally small! But we have rarely gotten double yolks. When I was able to get turkey eggs, they were always double yolks as those aren't fertilized apparently and so unsellable to the turkey raisers.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
In our area double yolks are fairly standard. I used to get eggs from one farmer in particular, and he had one hen who laid nothing *but* double yolks. I got two full dozen from that hen because I was doing a lot of baking... and the double yolks made some of the recipes taste different!  ;D

Kaymyth

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
I once got an 18-egg carton that had only one or two single yolks in the bunch.  It's rare, but it happens, and here are the reasons why:

1) Double-yolked eggs will usually be larger than other eggs, so there is a tendency for them to self-select.

2) Double yolks are more common in very young birds.  Since chickens tend to be housed with their yearmates, and eggs are often packaged in batches from chickens that live together, you can get clusters of eggs with double yolks.

PlainJane

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »
If these eggs had been fertilized, would there be twin chicks when the egg hatched?

Kariachi

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »
If these eggs had been fertilized, would there be twin chicks when the egg hatched?

If the eggs hatched, yes, but it's unlikely they would. The eggs generally turn out bigger, but not by too much, and often there's not enough room for the chicks to grow in there, or if there is they struggle to hatch.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

AngelicGamer

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
In some traditions, a double egg yolk is lucky. :) You probably should have gone out and got a lottery ticket for getting four or you're going to have some sort of luck in the future.

veryfluffy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 04:19:46 AM »

Not necessarily. The yolk is the food for the chick as it grows inside the egg. The actual bit that gets fertilised is the germinal disc, is small spot on the surface of the yolk.

Even if both are fertilised, it is almost impossible for twins to develop properly in the space and, even if they do, the chicks would usually be in the wrong position to be able to peck their way out. This is a video of a irresponsible parent of the human variety who enabled the hatch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZeEY-kt7A

This is an amazing video showing the development of an egg without the shell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Wl2DrAwWI

malfoyfan13

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
We get them all the time, in the jumbo eggs from Trader Joe's.

Bijou

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 09:31:37 PM »
I wasn't quite sure where to put this question, so forgive me if this is wrong.

The last dozen eggs I purchased had four with double yolks. It's kind of weirded me out! Prior to that I was still getting double yolks from time to time...but four at once? Is it just me or is that really odd?

It makes me wonder what they are feeding their chickens. Or are they putting bad stuff in their feed?

I know it's probably a dumb question but it just seems so odd to me.
I rarely see a double yolker, but  got a dozen eggs maybe about a year ago and almost every one was a double yolker.  I have to think that someone who would know had fixed up a dozen as a little surprise for some unsuspecting person and I happened to be the lucky one.  I loved it!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »
Wow, I really learn all kinds of stuff from you guys. In fact, they were jumbo eggs, so that certainly explains things :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!