News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 06:32:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Secretly eloping the same year SO's brother gets engaged?  (Read 4054 times)

Lady_Belle

Secretly eloping the same year SO's brother gets engaged?
« on: January 27, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »
My SO and I have decided to forgo all the fuss of an engagement and wedding and just elope on a weekend in October of this year... We have been talking about it for a long time. We want to get married secretly - and then surlprise everyone later with the news.

Just recently, my SO's younger brother proposed to his GF... they have indicated they don't plan to get married for atleast a couple years. My question is.... is it in any way rude to suddenly get married in October? Over 6 months later? i am worried about it being seen as overshadowing them, but we do not want to delay our plan any longer either. Am I stressing over nothing?

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: Secretly eloping the same year SO's brother gets engaged?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 10:38:33 PM »
Yes. You are.  ;)
Getting engaged doesn't give them "dibs" over anything except the actual wedding or possibly an engagement party. Even then, it's only inconsiderate if they invite people for a specific date and you knowingly schedule a conflicting event for the same guest ist.
Nobody is required to put their lives on hold indefinitely for an engagement.

Luci

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:05:59 PM »
Nobody is required to put their lives on hold indefinitely for an engagement.

Simply and clearly said.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
My SO and I have decided to forgo all the fuss of an engagement and wedding and just elope on a weekend in October of this year... We have been talking about it for a long time. We want to get married secretly - and then surlprise everyone later with the news.

Just recently, my SO's younger brother proposed to his GF... they have indicated they don't plan to get married for atleast a couple years. My question is.... is it in any way rude to suddenly get married in October? Over 6 months later? i am worried about it being seen as overshadowing them, but we do not want to delay our plan any longer either. Am I stressing over nothing?

Yes -- even if they were getting married soon, there's no reason you'd have to put off getting married (or for them to worry about it if you were to plan a wedding, as long as you don't deliberately schedule them to happen at the same time same date but different weddings).

DH and I were engaged for a few years before we got married.  BIL and SIL got engaged about 2-3 years after we did then we were all planning weddings (they got married a few months before we did).  It never occurred to any of us that anyone had "dibs" on a year (and I really don't know why anyone would care).

Alicia

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 06:05:27 AM »
Engagement really means don't plan your wedding for same week they do. (Some people say same day but I think give them the week)
That said be very very sure you want to live with the repercussions of the hurt feelings that will occur at the being kept from even being told about the wedding in advance.

gellchom

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
As they have said they don't plan on having their wedding for at least a couple of years, of course you should go ahead with your own plans.  What if they wait five years? :-)

At most, you might want to swear your brother to secrecy and tell him of your plans just to check that he hasn't changed his mind and might schedule his wedding for around the same time as your planned elopement. Even if it weren't the exact same weekend, I could see your wanting to avoid it for upstaging, if not conflict, purposes. (Or he might for the same reason move his plans.)  No, you aren't required to, but I think it is nice that you are wanting to be so considerate.

It does sound very unlikely, however, so maybe you can accomplish the same goal just by talking to him and making sure that there really is no chance of their planning their wedding for this fall.

gramma dishes

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »
Since you are planning to elope, you don't even have to worry about overlapping guest lists!  Go ahead with your plans by all means.  It is unlikely that they'll pick the exact wedding date you were planning (not even probably the same year apparently) and that's the only conflict that would count.

rose red

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »
You are planning to elope in October. They are waiting for a few years. I don't see a problem.

I don't see a problem even if you plan a BWW in October. One engagement/wedding has nothing to do with the other. You won't be stealing their thunder. They will get their moment in a few years and nobody will be thinking how you got married first. Like a PP said, you can't plan your life around other people's schedule.

gellchom

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Since you are planning to elope, you don't even have to worry about overlapping guest lists!  Go ahead with your plans by all means.  It is unlikely that they'll pick the exact wedding date you were planning (not even probably the same year apparently) and that's the only conflict that would count.

I don't believe that the OP was concerned about overlapping guest lists, just not wanting to draw focus or seem like  trying to jump ahead of her brother. Of course there is no rule that she should even have to be concerned about that, but I think it is very nice of her to care. As we are all saying, however, that is absolutely no problem on these facts. At most I would try to make sure that her brother isn't reconsidering and thinking of planning on a wedding for this fall. Even if he is, she can still do whatever she wants, but it will give her the information she needs to make her decisions.

gramma dishes

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »

I don't believe that the OP was concerned about overlapping guest lists, just not wanting to draw focus or seem like  trying to jump ahead of her brother. Of course there is no rule that she should even have to be concerned about that, but I think it is very nice of her to care. As we are all saying, however, that is absolutely no problem on these facts. At most I would try to make sure that her brother isn't reconsidering and thinking of planning on a wedding for this fall. Even if he is, she can still do whatever she wants, but it will give her the information she needs to make her decisions.

My comment about overlapping guest lists was in jest since we know that guests are rarely invited to secret elopements!

I agree with the rest of your comment of course.  OP's fiance's brother will have his day in the sun in a different time, place and year.  No need for our OP to be concerned at all.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
I agree planning to get married a within the same year is not an issue. I've never really undestood the "stealing my thunder" concern unless you are seriously upstaging someone at their actual event.

Even if you were both planning big weddings, holding them months apart is no big deal in my opinion. For instance, if I attended your bridal shower and then their wedding 3 weeks later, I'm still going to enjoy and celebrate both events. Sure, two siblings marrying close together does require some coordination to try and make sure there's no overlap or causing similar guest lists to attend back to back weekend events.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »
You're fine, IMO.  If they were planning their wedding this year?  I'd maybe consider holding off on the announcement of your marriage until after their ceremony but since they aren't getting married for another year or two?  Don't even worry about it.

I'm somewhat conscious of this.  A friend of mine planned his wedding for a particular summer.  His mother up and got married, with a small ceremony, about a month before his wedding.  He and his fiancee were not impressed; they felt she could have waited until after their ceremony.  With that in mind, DF and I are waiting to find out when his estranged daughter is getting married so that if we decide to have a relatively big shin dig, we plan it for after her wedding.  In hopes of not making the estrangement any worse...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

HannahGrace

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 08:23:08 PM »
I'm confused, OP - you posted about six months ago that you were engaged and planning a wedding.  Now you aren't engaged?

Luci

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »
My dad was one of 10, 9 of whom grew to adulthood, married, and bore 2 or 3 children. Some of their spouses were from large families, too. And WWII was going on, which influenced the timing of some of the engagements and weddings.

I have to shudder when I think of the logistics of trying to coordinate all of these engagements and weddings and taking account of impending births if they were worried about stealing soneone's thunder. Whew!

sammycat

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:11 PM »
I agree planning to get married a within the same year is not an issue. I've never really undestood the "stealing my thunder" concern unless you are seriously upstaging someone at their actual event.

Even if you were both planning big weddings, holding them months apart is no big deal in my opinion. For instance, if I attended your bridal shower and then their wedding 3 weeks later, I'm still going to enjoy and celebrate both events. Sure, two siblings marrying close together does require some coordination to try and make sure there's no overlap or causing similar guest lists to attend back to back weekend events.

I agree, except for the last sentence. I can only speak for myself, and my family dynamics, but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to attend a bridal shower or wedding for Cousin 1 on one weekend, followed by an event for Cousin 2 on weekend two, followed by another wedding event for Cousin 3 on weekend three.  My family has a history of holding gatherings on consecutive weekends for different events, so the fact they were all wedding related wouldn't make the slightest difference. It'd be no different from three separate friends having all these back to back events.  I'm aware other families may view this differently.

When I got married, it was just one a spate of weddings amongst my family and friends within about a six month period. I don't think it occurred to anyone (least of all me) that someone could be "stealing someone's thunder".  Quite the contrary - it was viewed as quite neat that we were all going to have similar wedding anniversary dates etc (and it certainly makes remembering how long people have been married easier, lol).  All the weddings were the traditional white weddings, but it was interesting seeing both the similarities and difference between them all.

OP, plan your wedding for when it suits you, just as your brother and his fiancee are doing.