News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 06:26:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ignoring The Main Activity  (Read 11167 times)

Luci

Re: Ignoring The Main Activity
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 09:58:27 PM »
We went to Chicago once to do two things. Go to a baseball game and then go to the planetarium. If I wanted to go to the planetarium, I had to endure the baseball game. I did watch the game because I didn't want the others to be uncomfortable with my boredom and it was before computers

I also go to Super Bowl parties for the food and company. (I even hosted a Super Bowl I party.)

So, I know there could be lots of reasons the girl was there.

lakey

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »
I don't see anything rude in her behavior. I wouldn't expect a person who doesn't care for football to pretend to be interested.

Semperviren

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
Not rude. She's allowed to be uninterested in the game. As long as she's amusing herself and not interfering with others' enjoyment, what's the problem?

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 11:47:45 PM »
So you're all saying it's okay to just sit there and pretty much ignore everyone in your group?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 11:56:20 PM »
Honestly, even at a person's home I wouldn't necessarily have found her rude.

My DH, best friend and another of our mutual friends are hugely into soccer. I'm not. Every year one of us hosts a get-together for the Champions League final. We get together at 6pm, eat a delicious dinner and then watch the game at 9pm. Or rather, the others watch - I sit and read or knit.

I'm social for the meal and during halftime, and don't disturb them during the game. It works perfectly for us.

The girl in the group might have a similar arrangement... or she might be the designated driver who's doing her friends a favour. Not knowing the full story, I'm calling not rude.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

lorelai

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 12:11:21 AM »
I don't think you can know that that's exactly what she did in this situation unless you were paying attention to her the entire time rather than to your own group or to the game.

TurtleDove

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 12:43:53 AM »
So you're all saying it's okay to just sit there and pretty much ignore everyone in your group?

If the group was focused on the game, wouldn't they also be ignoring everyone in their group? I don't see how watching a game is interactive.

sammycat

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:13 AM »

That's between her and her group. So long as she's not bothering anyone else, why does it matter to a random stranger what she's doing?

I'd rather cut off my arm than watch a sports event. If, for some unknown reason, I did end up at a sports bar during a game I wouldn't be faking any enthusiasm about it either.

During one trip to NYC we spotted the menu in the window outside a restaurant. It sounded delicious so we went in. It turned out to be a sports bar/restaurant, and a few games were playing on the TVs. It was the middle of the week, so not very busy. I highly doubt the few other customers around us cared that we weren't the slightest bit interested in watching the events.  In any event, we found the 'sport' of people watching on the streets below far more entertaining.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 01:29:01 AM »

Yes. Strangers also. It's a sports bar, not Meet The Newcomers Mixer for a singles club.  Even if they are all silently seething, it's not any of your business, is it? Or was this a member of your group?
Nothing to see here.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 01:31:41 AM »

If the group was focused on the game, wouldn't they also be ignoring everyone in their group? I don't see how watching a game is interactive.

People at least talk about the game and go through the good/bad times together... it's not like you can sit quietly and watch like an opera.

figee

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 03:49:35 AM »

People at least talk about the game and go through the good/bad times together... it's not like you can sit quietly and watch like an opera.

It isn't rude depending on the group. If they don't care that she isn't interacting, why should you?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 05:59:51 AM »

It doesn't sound like she was interfering with her group's fun.  I'm not sure why it was interfering with *your* fun.

Maybe she's a fan of another sportsball team.  Maybe she's a fun member of the group when they're not watching sports.  Who knows?

I'm not overly invested in any particular sports team and I don't want to high-five strangers if I happen to be somewhere people are watching a "big" game.

Mustard

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 06:30:37 AM »
For some reason I can't fathom, the fact that this girl wasn't participating in watching the game seems to bother you. Unless she did something to spoil your enjoyment of the game - other than by minding her own business - she wasn't rude.

Celestia

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 07:08:32 AM »

Agreed...I've been that person who wanted to actually talk to my companions, when they were completely uninterested in conversation and instead watching the TV, interrupting whatever I was saying by screaming when a point was scored.  I'd eventually withdraw into my own little bubble, too. It sounds like her group wasn't engaging her as much as she wasn't engaging them.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
For some reason I can't fathom, the fact that this girl wasn't participating in watching the game seems to bother you. Unless she did something to spoil your enjoyment of the game - other than by minding her own business - she wasn't rude.

I don't think TheaterDiva1 meant to ask whether the girl was rude to her - but rather whether she was rude to her friends. Only her friends can be the judges of that, but in my circle of friends, it would be totally alright.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice