News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 09:57:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ignoring The Main Activity  (Read 11169 times)

MyFamily

Re: Ignoring The Main Activity
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
Good point about the distinction between a sports bar (which I take to be a regular bar that happens to have TVs showing a sports match), and a fan bar (which I take to be a bar that's a designated and well-known meeting spot for fans to dress up in their colours and watch every game of the season). In the latter case, I'd also secretly wonder why one would accept an invitation to a fan bar if they weren't remotely interested in football, but that still wouldn't make them rude for quietly playing with their phone.

Because the wings at this bar are amazing?
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

FauxFoodist

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »
Good point about the distinction between a sports bar (which I take to be a regular bar that happens to have TVs showing a sports match), and a fan bar (which I take to be a bar that's a designated and well-known meeting spot for fans to dress up in their colours and watch every game of the season). In the latter case, I'd also secretly wonder why one would accept an invitation to a fan bar if they weren't remotely interested in football, but that still wouldn't make them rude for quietly playing with their phone.

Because she's busy live-blogging about the experience so somewhere out there is a girl complaining about how some stranger keeps trying to high-five her.

Maria16

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »

Because she's busy live-blogging about the experience so somewhere out there is a girl complaining about how some stranger keeps trying to high-five her.
POD.  Also, for all we know she was invited to x bar with no clue what was happening there.

BlendedFamily

• Keep positive energy flowing!
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
Although I'm sure you were there for the love of the game, and considered that the main event, perhaps her main event was drinking in the bar with her bf and spending time with him. It could be that that's just where he was spending time. I don't think it's rude to sit in a bar while a big game is on and not be interested whatsoever in the game.
Strive to be the best possible person you can be, not what others have dictated are their expectations of you!

lakey

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
Quote from: Mustard on Yesterday at 08:10:07 AM
Quote from: bopper on February 13, 2017, 03:42:00 PM
Classic Extrovert vs. Introvert situation!

More a sports fan vs not a sports fan, I would have thought.

Agreed. It doesn't seem to have much to do with being an extrovert vs. an introvert, but more with whether or not you find the game interesting or not.
An introvert, like myself, might enjoy watching a game, but feel uncomfortable with complete strangers being overly familiar. I personally don't like it when people I'm not close to get all touchy.

The delineation between sportsbar and fanbar isn't that clear in my experience.

PrettySticks

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
This whole thing just reminded me of one of my favorite family vacation photos, when I was about ten years old and we took a trip to Boston. My mom was taking the picture - it's of my dad, my brother, and me in our seats at Fenway Park. Me? I'm cheerfully smiling up from the Sweet Valley Twins book in my hands.  I know it's a little different, since I was a kid and had very little say over my whereabouts, but if my parents had insisted I watch the baseball game I would have been miserable. But they let me bring a book (reading was pretty much all I wanted to do at that age anyway - I didn't care where I did it) and then I wasn't whining or asking when it would be over or anything like that.

So that's what I figure - so long as this woman wasn't sulking or begging everyone to pay attention to her instead of the game or basically ruining everyone else's good time, then she was fine.