News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 19, 2018, 09:24:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "If you haven't got extra, I'll regift her my christening favor" update #57  (Read 18351 times)

Last_Dance

Re: "If you haven't got extra, I'll regift her my christening favor" update #57
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2017, 11:58:12 AM »
You mentioned that no one would want these items, but why can't they just be tossed or recycled?  I have limited storage space in my condo.  I've culled through my own personal momentos at times.  There's no way I'd hang onto boxes of unwanted items just because.  But I wasn't raised in an Italian family, either.

Well, it's not that nobody wants them, exactly... it's just that people have different tastes and what is a good bomboniera for me is a just useless junk for you.
Would we have bought a bottle stopper with fake diamond on top? No, but a bottle stopper is a bottle stopper and we use it anyway.

As for why you can't get rid of it... you just can't, it is considered rude. Just like in some cultures it is considered rude not to burp at the end of the meal.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

crazycatlady331

Re: "If you haven't got extra, I'll regift her my christening favor"
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
Well, maybe she intends to give the FF her favor promptly, and then take then extra one you ordered as her own?

As for keeping ugly bomboniere forever and ever,  again I've never seen anyone give away bomboniere. Moreover, if they are like the cornucopia  ornament, who'd want it? I suppose I could donate it to next church lottery, but it's going to be pretty clear it was either a bomboniera or a gift somebody got for their wedding/anniversary.
Of course, the people who gave it will hopefully never notice it's not on dispaly in our house, but you never know...

I was in a thrift store once (not sure if it was Goodwill or something else) and they had a shelf of wedding favors (ie trinkets with the couple's names and wedding dates).  Right above it was a shelf of participation trophies.  It definitely changed my opinion on trinkets.

(I'm not Italian but grew up in a predominately Italian-American town to the point where I was considered a token in high school)

gramma dishes

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »
...  I was in a thrift store once (not sure if it was Goodwill or something else) and they had a shelf of wedding favors (ie trinkets with the couple's names and wedding dates).  Right above it was a shelf of participation trophies.  It definitely changed my opinion on trinkets.  ...

Who would buy something that had someone else's name and wedding date on it?   ???

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2017, 09:56:09 AM »
...  I was in a thrift store once (not sure if it was Goodwill or something else) and they had a shelf of wedding favors (ie trinkets with the couple's names and wedding dates).  Right above it was a shelf of participation trophies.  It definitely changed my opinion on trinkets.  ...

Who would buy something that had someone else's name and wedding date on it?   ???

If you need the thing but don't care what it looks like?

crazycatlady331

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »

Most of the stuff there was things that weren't useful like a wine bottle stopper.  They were more things like plastic wedding bells. 

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »

Most of the stuff there was things that weren't useful like a wine bottle stopper.  They were more things like plastic wedding bells.

I don't know what those are.  Table decorations?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »

Plays. You need a prop but noone will see the engraving.

GardenGal

OP - excellent update!  Glad your mom had good things to say, even if you anticipate less positive comments in the future.  You were wise to send the extra favor home with her.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

daen

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »

Plays. You need a prop but noone will see the engraving.

Truth. In a not-quite on-point example, I recently bought a silver goblet, perfectly tarnished,  engraved with "Best Man" at a thrift store.  I needed an impressive-looking vessel for footage for a book trailer I'm making, and this fit the bill. (I had to watch my angles for one or two shots, but mostly it was a non-issue.)

I've actually grown rather fond of it, possibly due in part to the dents I created while dropping it repeatedly off a marble ledge. I may keep it instead of returning it to the thrift store with the other props I bought.

/end tangent

katycoo

CRUD MONKEYS! I just had  a brilliant idea.  If I ever have a second wedding (or a vowel renewal or some such) I'm totally going to track down unwanted bonbonierre from other people's weddings - the more engraved and mismatched the better, and re-use them for mine.  That idea cracks me right up!

JoW

A trophy shop in my area accepts used trophies.  They replace the personalized plate and re-sell them.  Other personalized trinkets you might be able to remove paint or sand off the personalized part.  A lot of crafters shop in thrift stores for that reason.