News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 22, 2017, 02:46:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lexington KY in June  (Read 1207 times)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Lexington KY in June
« on: February 22, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »
I am traveling to Lexington KY in June to visit the Kentucky Horse Park and several racing stables, as well as Old Friends (a retirement home for Thoroughbred racehorses). I will probably stop by Keeneland Racecourse too. I am staying in Georgetown and will visit Nicholasville and Versailles among my stops.

I'm looking for recommendations of other fun/interesting things to do in the area and restaurants to eat at (I like casual dining). I also want to know about great places for shopping, especially horsey items!

I have been to the area in the past and already visited Ashland (the Henry Clay Estate), Hunt-Morgan House, and Waveland estate, and we also did the Woodford Reserve bourbon distillery tour.

Thanks!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Lexington KY in June
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
Just so you know........DH and I moved our family to the southcentral part of Kentucky in 1988 from New Jersey.
I've been an enthusiastic tourist since then! 😀 I think each part of the state has lots to do and to see, in a relaxed attitude.

I was in Lexington and the surrounding area about 5(?) years ago. The one thing I would like to do when I visit again would be to take a picnic lunch and go to the Park in the unincorporated community of High Bridge. (It is south of Centre College.)The community really does have a high bridge that goes over a deep ravine for locomotive traffic. I didn't get to spend much time at the park, but it does have picnic tables and is very quiet.

How do you feel about going to Bardstown? Here is a link to " My Old Kentucky Home": www.visitmyoldkyhome.com  It is now a state park, but used to be a family's home, and the inspiration for Stephen Foster's famous song. It has been 20(?) years since I have been there and would like to revisit it.

Luci

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:35:17 PM »
Not a bit horsey, but a tad envious. We stayed at the campground in the off season. Was wonderful even then. Have a great trip! Love your profile picture!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »
Enjoy! I was there in Oct 2015 with my mom and loved it!

You mentioned Keeneland; if you can, and i don't know if they do this all the time, but we did a tour of the racetrack. It was great. And you can also eat at the Track Kitchen, which we weren't able to do. Its open to hte public, but jockeys, trainers, owners etc eat there as well. Its on my list of definites if i ever go back!

https://www.keeneland.com/discover/track-kitchen

AfleetAlex

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
Ooh, I'll try to do that! I'll have time for a morning tour so I'll be sure to ask about the track kitchen. I adore Lexington; I could drive the pikes and stare at horse farms for days.  :D

siamesecat2965

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »
Ooh, I'll try to do that! I'll have time for a morning tour so I'll be sure to ask about the track kitchen. I adore Lexington; I could drive the pikes and stare at horse farms for days.  :D

I loved it too! I joked i want to move there when I retire. It really was lovely, and while only there for a few days, and it was mainly a reunion for my mom with her college sorority sisters, we did get in some sightseeing. I loved the horse museum. I wish we could have done some of the historic homes too but mom is in a wheelchair and they just aren't fully accessible. so we passed on those. The other thing we thought about, but didn't quite get to, was a tour of one of the horse farms. I think we would have had to arrange a private tour, for accessibility reasons.

they get together every couple of years, each time a different place. This year is back in WI, but she's not able to go, and i must confess, since i need to go with her, i'm a bit relieved we aren't going. I did tell her, get a couple of her techy friends on board; i'll come up to her place, and help her face time them. So she can pop in and say hello.

TabathasGran

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »
I grew up there! I visit but don't get to do enough touring so here are a few things to do again and again on my personal wish list:

The tour at Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort is delightful. 

I second the trip to Bardstown to see My Old Kentucky Home.

Wonderful place to look at Antiques in the country and with a neat restaurant for lunch http://irishacresgallery.com/

Shaker Village  https://shakervillageky.org/  They also have a boat ride.

Dudley's restaurant for fine dining is still lovely I hear, but I haven't been in years. 

Merrick Inn patio is hopping on a Friday night

Hope you have a wonderful time!

AfleetAlex

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
Thanks for those ideas! I'm off to research them!  :)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »
I've been unable to post for awhile, but kept thinking of this topic.

AfleetAlex........how was your trip? Did you have a good time? What did you end up doing?

AfleetAlex

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »
The trip was great! I visited a lot of horse farms and the Kentucky Horse Park, (where I did a little horseback riding and realized, wow, I am out of shape, even for just going at a walk!) and stopped by Old Friends Farm to feed famous retired racehorses like Silver Charm and Game On Dude carrots. It was full-horse immersion, pretty much.  ;D