News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 12:19:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slow cooker recipes with long cook time  (Read 1236 times)

TracyXJ

Slow cooker recipes with long cook time
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
My husband and I work long days (leave the house at 6:45am, might be back by 6pm).  We'd love to be able to use our slow cooker and have dinner all ready to go when we get home, but with that long of a time, all the flavor just gets cooked out of the food.  Even if we set the timer on it so it switches to keep warm after a certain time, it's just too much. 

Any suggestions of what can take the long cook time?
So far, we've only had 2 successes:
  • corned beef (and cabbage, but I have to microwave the veggies when I get home)
  • pulled pork

Reika

Re: Slow cooker recipes with long cook time
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »
I've also had successes with:
chili
beef stew
sausage with peppers, onions and mushrooms in tomato sauce
pot roast
turkey breast (don't use a lot of water, maybe a cup or two) The skin will be nasty, but easy to remove and the turkey comes out tender, moist and tasty.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
I'd look at using an outlet timer so if you want to eat at 6:30 and the recipe calls for an 8 hour cook time, you'd have the separate outlet timer set to turn the power on at 10:30.  I used these kinds of timers all the time for lights so I could have a light come on in the living room in the evening to make it look like someone was home.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Paper Roses

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:18:44 PM »
turkey breast (don't use a lot of water, maybe a cup or two) The skin will be nasty, but easy to remove and the turkey comes out tender, moist and tasty.

Just curious, is this the "hotel-style" turkey breast?  And do you put anything else in the crockpot with it?
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Reika

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »

Just curious, is this the "hotel-style" turkey breast?  And do you put anything else in the crockpot with it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "hotel" style. I get the typical bone in turkey breast from the store. I season the mest with italian seasonings and garlic powder, but you can use whatever seasonings you prefer. :)

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »
I agree with the outlet timer or getting a newer crockpot that can be programmed to start later.  I purchased this one from Walmart for $50 https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DECKER-WiFi-Enabled-6-Quart-Slow-Cooker/128745799  I like it because you can delay the start time.  So if you want it to start at 12 and cook until 6, that's possible. 

jpcher

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 05:51:48 PM »

• corned beef (and cabbage, but I have to microwave the veggies when I get home)

A suggestion for this, instead of using the microwave . . . Put the cabbage into the crock-pot (on medium) and stir it up/under the meat. Take half of the liquid out of the crock-pot and use it to boil the potatoes. This brings the flavor of the corned beef into the potatoes. If there isn't enough liquid add a bottle of beer, beef broth or water. I use halved baby red potatoes, which cook up in about 1/2 hour.  The cabbage should be al-dente when the potatoes are done.

Chili is an excellent thought. It seems like the more it simmers together the better it is.

Try a nice big chuck roast. Season it with: cumin, garlic, onion, or whatever, cooking it with enough liquid of your choice to cover the meat. Add poblano peppers (or your choice of spicy hot) when you get home and turn the crock pot on high. The beef should be tender-fork-pull apart like your pork is. Serve with soft flour tortillas and enchilada sauce . . . your taste may vary.

If you're a Stroganoff type person? season the chuck steak in that way.

I don't like mushy veggies. So for the storgnoff example I'd add the mushrooms and gravy base when I got home.

Most of my recipes are for 8 or 9 hours.

12 hours is a long time so you need a strong meat base with a lot of liquid.

Outdoor Girl gave an excellent suggestion with the start/stop timer.[/list]