News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 12:58:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So what shall I wear?  (Read 3574 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: So what shall I wear?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 07:12:55 AM »
I personally know several female officiants. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the dress Samihami really likes. While blush, lavender, and silver are not dark colors, they are rather neutral IMO (I personally prefer the blush). My biggest peeve with officiants is them wearing anything with an obvious pattern.

I still remember one wedding where the officiant wore this black and white asymmetric block style dress with a bright red pencil belt and shoes. While she was dressed smartly, and would have looked very professional in an office setting, it was WAY too eye catching for a wedding. I do think there is leeway if the bride is okay with flashy. At a beach wedding, one officiant wore this lovely white flowy dress with the large bright flowers all over that the bride specifically picked for her (they were sisters however).

POD. SamiHami, please let us know what you decide on, but that is perfectly appropriate for your role in the ceremony.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chez Miriam

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »
I personally know several female officiants. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the dress Samihami really likes. While blush, lavender, and silver are not dark colors, they are rather neutral IMO (I personally prefer the blush). My biggest peeve with officiants is them wearing anything with an obvious pattern.

I still remember one wedding where the officiant wore this black and white asymmetric block style dress with a bright red pencil belt and shoes. While she was dressed smartly, and would have looked very professional in an office setting, it was WAY too eye catching for a wedding. I do think there is leeway if the bride is okay with flashy. At a beach wedding, one officiant wore this lovely white flowy dress with the large bright flowers all over that the bride specifically picked for her (they were sisters however).

POD. SamiHami, please let us know what you decide on, but that is perfectly appropriate for your role in the ceremony.

I, too, think this dress would be lovely [I would choose the silver, personally, as I think it will go with your hair and is the most neutral of the colours you like].  I believe this is a slight/justifiable exception to my normal thoughts [black or navy suit for an officiant], as the bride is your niece.  For a very posh (non-family) wedding, I would think that outfit in black could be suitable?

Given you're a beloved family member, as well as celebrant, I would bend my own "rules" that the background people [can't think of a good way to phrase that - servers, personnel ordinarily paid to supply/attend a wedding in a professional capacity] should be as boringly-professionally dressed as possible .  I attended a wedding in Paris where the celebrant was a [at that particular time] very famous politician.  I just looked at my photos, and she was wearing a black suit, with a tricolor sash [she was mayor of the arrondissement where the wedding was held].  To me it seemed the perfect balance between civil servant and proud Frenchwoman; very slightly flamboyant, but in a way that didn't detract from the bride/wedding party.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Hmmmmm

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
I think the silver or black versions of that dress are officiant appropriate but the pink is not.

I agree, I think the other colors or just too bridal party to be appropriate for the officiant.

katycoo

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
I'd be tempted to suit it up for the wedding and then change for the reception.

gellchom

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
I'd be tempted to suit it up for the wedding and then change for the reception.

Exactly.  Then she doesn't have to compromise.  She can spend her money on the fabulous party outfit she loves most, not just one she can get away with.  Perfect appropriate officiant outfit and perfect smashing special-aunt-guest outfit.