News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 18, 2017, 04:39:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Liking/commenting on a post by a Facebook friend of a Facebook Friend  (Read 2202 times)

Outdoor Girl

I am Facebook friends with my youngest nephew's girlfriend.  I see her almost as often as I see my nephew.

A friend of hers made a post on Facebook that I could see and comment on, so she must have her privacy settings at least at 'friends of friends can see my posts'.  The friend made a post about being who you really are and how she stopped straightening her ethnic hair and was letting her curls show. 

I think she is a very pretty young lady and I love her curly hair and wanted to make a comment along those lines but thought she might find it creepy, coming from someone she doesn't directly know.

Would it be OK to like the post?  She had a very powerful message in what she wrote that resonated with me.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

maksi

Re: Liking/commenting on a post by a Facebook friend of a Facebook Friend
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
I think it would be okay. After all, she has decided to make her post public or visible to friends of friends. For some reason I think it would be more okay if it was the former, not the latter. Public Facebook posts feel a bit like Tweets or blog posts you share with everyone: they're meant for everyone to see and interact with. No one wonders if someone likes your tweet or comments on your blog.

(Posts visible to friends of friends  feel to me more... accidental? in their visibility, maybe? Like you're hearing a conversation in a party that you're not actually part of, but they are still talking in the same space with you and you can't help overhearing. But that's just how it feels to me  ;D )

pattycake

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
I think liking a post of a friend of a friend is okay. you are just signifying agreement (usually!) and I think people enjoy that. Posting a comment might be kind of weird though if they don't know you.

BlendedFamily

• Keep positive energy flowing!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:26:37 AM »
My general rule is that if it shows up in my feed, I've as much right to comment as the next person. You could play ignorance: "I'm not sure how this came to my feed. I'm friends boyfriends aunt. (Insert comment here)
Strive to be the best possible person you can be, not what others have dictated are their expectations of you!

figee

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
I would definitely not comment that I thought she was 'pretty' or that I loved curly hair. I might instead post more specifically about how I love that message about being true to yourself instead.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
I ended up liking the post but not commenting.  I just thought it would be too creepy.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

HannahGrace

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
I only like or comment on such posts when my friend is explicitly tagged in them or is the subject of the post. Otherwise it seems intrusive.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »
I only like or comment on such posts when my friend is explicitly tagged in them or is the subject of the post. Otherwise it seems intrusive.

Agreed, with reservations. I would maybe do this if my Friend was the subject of the post and I had at least some personal relationship with the author -- like, she would recognize my name and we've met once or twice. One other exception might be for an old friend's significant other I haven't met because of time or distance, who's sharing something sweet or important about my friend (e.g., illness or an engagement or wedding). Not with a complete stranger.

cb140

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
I would "Like" but not comment

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 07:05:46 PM »
I would definitely not comment that I thought she was 'pretty' or that I loved curly hair. I might instead post more specifically about how I love that message about being true to yourself instead.

Agreed. That would be awkward at best.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Allyson

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 01:40:41 AM »
IMO, liking=totally fine,commenting about the message=still fine, commenting about her looks=better not.