News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 19, 2017, 06:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MLM Bridal Shower  (Read 4227 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: MLM Bridal Shower
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »
And this just occurred to me - what if the monograms are wrong?

I mean, the OP noted that she has 2 last names, and the FSIL used the lesser-used of the two. What if Bride isn't taking her FH's name, and FSIL had the guests do the monograms/personalization with either his last name, or the wrong one of hers?

So she's not only stuck with personalized items she doesn't want and can't return, but doesn't even have the correct name?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kckgirl

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 06:14:37 PM »
I went to a MLM bridal shower years ago. The gifts were useful to any young bride, and she got the hostess gifts from the party. I think it depends on what the items are and if the bride would actually use them. In this case, I think many Thirty One items is a bit much. At the one I attended, the bride knew in advance and was excited to get the items.
Maryland

turnip

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
I dislike the MLM model as a whole so I'd be really unhappy with this FSIL.   Honestly as a guest - if I knew this was the shower format - I'd almost certainly decline.

dani321

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 01:16:22 PM »
This is terrible! I like 31 products just fine, I think some of them are great and some are overpriced, but I'm very happy with the items I've purchased. I could easily see some of their products making great wedding/shower gifts. I would expect a fSIL who sells 31 to purchase something from 31 as a gift for the bride to be, and maybe even 1-2 friends or family members of SIL's to also purchase gifts from 31. But that's where the line should have been drawn! NO ONE in this world has any need or use for 30 products from their line. Especially if this is a younger couple starting out, they probably do need toasters and towels and plates a little more than personalized blankets and cute storage tote bags with a monogram. Even if they aren't starting out, and already have the essentials, it's still quite a stretch to think that they would want 30 specialized items from one company. I can't help but think about where I would store all of these items, and we have a 4 bedroom house for 2 people! I'm just picturing 31 products everywhere in their home, like a sitcom plot or something  ;D

Of course, no one is obligated to purchase from a registry, or to purchase gifts at all, but I mean, if you're going to throw someone a shower, then throw the shower for them, not yourself!!

Add to that the fact that all the games/activities were 31 related, it's pretty obvious that fSIL saw an opportunity to host a home show for herself, make some $$, score some free product and look like the gracious hostess all at the same time. Hope the OP declines the baby shower that SIL offers to host when the time comes!!  >:D

I went to a MLM bridal shower years ago. The gifts were useful to any young bride, and she got the hostess gifts from the party. I think it depends on what the items are and if the bride would actually use them. In this case, I think many Thirty One items is a bit much. At the one I attended, the bride knew in advance and was excited to get the items.

To me, this is about the only acceptable way to throw a shower based on MLM products - the guest of honor is okay with it, can use the items, AND gets the bonuses related to having a party!

gellchom

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
This is terrible! I like 31 products just fine, I think some of them are great and some are overpriced, but I'm very happy with the items I've purchased. I could easily see some of their products making great wedding/shower gifts. I would expect a fSIL who sells 31 to purchase something from 31 as a gift for the bride to be, and maybe even 1-2 friends or family members of SIL's to also purchase gifts from 31. But that's where the line should have been drawn! NO ONE in this world has any need or use for 30 products from their line. Especially if this is a younger couple starting out, they probably do need toasters and towels and plates a little more than personalized blankets and cute storage tote bags with a monogram. Even if they aren't starting out, and already have the essentials, it's still quite a stretch to think that they would want 30 specialized items from one company. I can't help but think about where I would store all of these items, and we have a 4 bedroom house for 2 people! I'm just picturing 31 products everywhere in their home, like a sitcom plot or something  ;D

Of course, no one is obligated to purchase from a registry, or to purchase gifts at all, but I mean, if you're going to throw someone a shower, then throw the shower for them, not yourself!!

Add to that the fact that all the games/activities were 31 related, it's pretty obvious that fSIL saw an opportunity to host a home show for herself, make some $$, score some free product and look like the gracious hostess all at the same time. Hope the OP declines the baby shower that SIL offers to host when the time comes!!  >:D

To me, this is about the only acceptable way to throw a shower based on MLM products - the guest of honor is okay with it, can use the items, AND gets the bonuses related to having a party!

This, especially the bolded!  Well put.

Even if the bride is good with an MLM shower and doesn't mind all the gifts being from the MLM catalog, I would still hate it as a guest.  I don't care for MLM parties, and even the items I've liked are IMO quite overpriced.  The couple of times I've been at them, I felt very pressured, despite all the assurances to the contrary.  No one pushed me at all; it's just the set up and knowing that my friend will be disappointed if no one buys that inherently makes me feel somewhat obliged.

Which is not to say that MLM parties are bad and no one should have them -- many people enjoy them, and that's fine.  But many do not.  And that's the biggest reason why I think they are a bad idea for a shower: it's easy to decline if you are invited to an ordinary MLM party.  But if it's the shower for your niece or something, it's not just the type of party itself that matters; you go, or you miss the shower for someone important to you.

I guess it's just a specific example of planning with your guests in mind.  Of course the guest of honor's preferences are the most important.  But the guests' are, too.  So unless this guest list was comprised largely of people who are wild about whatever "31" is or MLM parties in general, in my opinion, it was a poor choice.  I, too, would wonder about the hostess's motives.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS!. What a way to welcome someone to your family!

MagicEyes

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 09:04:03 PM »
I did go to a Tupperware bridal shower, which wasn't quite as bad as the shower in the OP. The bride did request it, and she got extra stuff based on how much other people bought at the party. I think we brought other non-Tupperware gifts (the Tupperware part was optional, but we could order things for ourselves or for the bride). It was a little odd, but not nearly as bad as buying someone a bunch of non-returnable monogrammed things that she probably doesn't need. I wouldn't object to a Pampered Chef shower.  ;)

DianeRN

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
My SIL threw a Pampered Chef shower for me for their side of the family. She sent out 108 invitations with "my" wish list. My husband loves politics, so he had the president and our governor on the list for our wedding invitations, in hopes that he would get some type of response. We did get a nice letter from the then-president. Because these two people were on the wedding list, they also got PC shower invites.