News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 05:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where Would You Expect to Find Dress Code Info?  (Read 2361 times)

gellchom

Re: Where Would You Expect to Find Dress Code Info?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »
I agree that all necessary information, including dress code if there is one (see below), ought to be on the invitation.   

Not registry, directions, hotel info, etc.  Send that another way or include a note referring guests to the web site.  Particularly not registry info; I get it that many people appreciate the convenience, but many others are put off by it, and you don't want your invitations to have that effect even on a few.  The idea is that you don't want to be connecting your wanting people to share your wedding with the idea that they will give you gifts (and that you are eager to direct what those gifts should be).

If hosts/HCs don't want a specific level of dress, such as black tie, and the venue, time, and style of invitation give enough indication, then fine, although they will still get inquiries.  But if they want black tie or cocktail attire, or beach or boat attire, or anything other than just a nice day/evening outfit, they need to put it on the invitation (or reception card, if there is one).

A wedding web site is not a requirement even to have, let alone for guests to check.  Do not ever assume that all your guests are going to consult it, unless you specifically tell them they need to, and maybe not even then.  People put the invitation up on the bulletin board or fridge and then forget that they were directed to additional information elsewhere even if they did hear you the first time.

kudeebee

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 12:42:02 AM »
If a couple wants a specific dress code for their wedding, I feel it is on them to state this to their guests and not think that guests will know or figure it out by the venue/time of day or go to the website.

It could be included in a separate line with the reception information.

Alicia

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 01:18:47 AM »
I would expect dress code on the website unless it was something like you absolutely will not be allowed into the venue if you are not in say a jacket for men .

mime

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »
respectfully snipped....

I agree that all necessary information, including dress code if there is one (see below), ought to be on the invitation.   

Not registry, directions, hotel info, etc.  Send that another way or include a note referring guests to the web site.  Particularly not registry info; I get it that many people appreciate the convenience, but many others are put off by it, and you don't want your invitations to have that effect even on a few.  The idea is that you don't want to be connecting your wanting people to share your wedding with the idea that they will give you gifts (and that you are eager to direct what those gifts should be).

It is interesting:

I stated earlier that I like the registry information to come with the invitation because it is a convenience to me, but I actually agree with gellchom above that it doesn't come across well for *all* recipients, so it is best to leave it off. For the same reason I still think that requirements like dress code should be clear with the invitation because communicating that via a website an effective way to communicate with *all* recipients yet.

So I guess I'm inconsistent with myself.  ;)  Thankfully, my own wedding was long ago enough and small enough that neither of these were an issue for me!

I hope that wasn't too much of a tangent....