News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:47:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High school graduation gift ideas for teens not going away to college.  (Read 2506 times)

Please pass the Calgon

DD(18) is graduating in June. She'll be home for at least a couple more years while she earns her AA at the local community college. All the gift ideas I'm seeing are for kids planning to go away to college and I'm suffering from a mental block on what to do for her.

Background on our girl: For a while now she's planned to major in History and minor in Film. Her dream job is "Historical Advisor" for movies/tv shows. Backup plan is High School teacher; US History and/or Film Studies. She's winding down her extracurricular season (ColorGuard) this week and will be looking for a part-time job soon. She's been invited to "tech" for her high school's Guard team next year, quite possibly for pay ;D She's planning to audition for a couple post-HS regional Guard teams as well. She'd love to coach/choreograph a HS team on her own some day.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Outdoor Girl

Something for her interests?  Is there any equipment she would need to have for Guard?

I was an avid camper; my graduation gift was a good, basic tent and a big cooler.  :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Oh Joy

Is there a local historical society, film museum, or professional organization that relates to her field of study?  Could you pay for her membership there for the length of her college years?

camlan

Your daughter is going to college, but living at home for the first few years?

You could get her something to support her academic career. A new laptop, or a nice bag to carry all her stuff to and fro and around campus, a gift card to the campus bookstore, a hoodie or t-shirt from her college, a portable charger so she can keep her phone or tablet working on the go. If she will be using public transportation, a transit pass; if she will be driving to school, a gas gift card. A good travel mug or a nifty lunch box would also be useful.

Or you could get her something to commemorate her high school graduation. A nice piece of jewelry, that she will always remember as marking the end of her high school years. A photo album of her high school years (check out Shutterfly).
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
My son got a new laptop, and a new camera. He will be living at home until he completes his degree and works in his field long enough to save up a down payment on a house. ~4 years or so.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Outdoor Girl

Is there a local historical society, film museum, or professional organization that relates to her field of study?  Could you pay for her membership there for the length of her college years?

I like this one!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

What type of amount are you looking to spend?

Here's some stuff DD got
-MS Surface tablet - they were pretty new back then
-Silver charm for her bracelet from her brother
-A simple sterling silver Tiffany ring from her grandmother
-A monogramed Jute and leather tote bag from some good friends that she has used the crap out of... uses it as a book bag for school, as an overnight bag, as a carryon "purse" so she can also take a carryon bag, as a beach bag....it doesn't hurt that its in her favorite color. It still looks great after 4 years.
-Pearl bracelet from an aunt
-Jon Hart makeup bag that she still uses

mime

I couldn't afford to go away to college (and the country's top college in my chosen major was just an hour drive away, so it was an easy decision).

Most gifts were money. I also got a backpack from by BF's mom, which lasted all through school and I still have. My parents gave me a ruby ring. After graduating college, they gave me ruby earrings to complement it, which was nice. I don't think I got much related my studies, but that would have been a great idea.

Having the benefit of hindsight, things that would have been useful and similar to typical campus living gifts would be things to help with commuting: new coat if you're in a cold climate, walking shoes if the campus is large, locker rental so she doesn't have to lug all of her books back and forth every day (this was a very big deal for me).

Congrats to your DD!

Mommyoops

My daughter graduated high school and attends community college while living at home. She got many lovely gifts at her party. We gave her cash to buy what she needed.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
The gifts don't have to be academically related. My nieces each got a nice piece of jewelry for their high school graduations.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

FauxFoodist

Re: High school graduation gift ideas for teens not going away to college.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »
We gave DNiece cash.  It was supposed to go toward college textbooks, but I figured she likely spent it on whatever she wanted, which was fine (I figured it, eventually, ended up towards textbooks since she still had to buy some and would've used other money).

I didn't go away to college.  I know I could've used money towards textbooks, quarters for the vending machines (for when the cafeteria was already closed), parking permit (I had very little money so had to decide to park off-campus so that money could go towards textbooks), insulated lunch bag (I've known more than one student who schedules all classes on two days then spend all day at school), insulated water bottle, heavy-duty backpack (I noticed back then that the school backpacks at regular stores were pretty flimsy so I made sure to buy the two I got from a camping store -- the second backpack I still have in great condition 20+ years later, and I really stuffed that backpack) or a backpack that also is constructed for laptop storing and to carry a water bottle.  How about a portable back-up battery source (actually, two, so that one could be charging while the other one is being carried to school so that, theoretically, there's always one fully charged each day)?  I bought a couple for DH and me a couple of years ago and wondered if they were frivolous purchases (because we could always charge in the car or at home).  Nope.  We both use them all the time.  When the car's not moving (or we're away from home but not in it), we can't charge in the car and still have access to our phones.  When the power's gone out at home, we can't charge any devices.  It doesn't last very long for recharging a laptop but is great for a phone (and charges them quickly).

Runningstar

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »
I like the idea of a nice piece of jewelry, whatever your budget is the nicest of that range.  I got a necklace of my mom's for my HS graduation, which I will always treasure. 

gellchom

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »
For your own child, your gift could be anything from a clock to college tuition to a car.

For a friend's child or a cousin, one of my favorite gifts that my kids got was a tool kit.  My favorite gift to give was a laundry basket filled with detergent, lingerie bags, iron, sewing kit, lint roller, hangers, some quarters (back when colleges had coin op machines), etc. -- depended on how much I wanted to spend.  I got good feedback on that. 

But you probably want something more substantial for your own daughter.  Would a laptop be good?

crazycatlady331

Old thread but my go to for a graduation gift is a gift card for Amazon.  It can be used for anything ranging from textbooks to streaming movies.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
I graduated high school over 40 years ago.  DD still has the luggage that I bought with one of the cash or check gifts that I got (I passed it along when she was in school and doing some traveling with class field trips) - I think that two suitcases have survived out of three suitcases, a round "personal items" case and a drawstring purse.  I didn't open the visible suitcase to see what all was stored nested inside it when I was there ten days ago...all three suitcases might have survived.  The purse fell apart quickly, as I used it heavily for my first year of college.

She also still has the back pack from a camping store that we bought her in middle school back in 1997 or so - granted, it does show some wear and should be sent in for repairs (it came with a "lifetime guarantee").

Jewelry is nice for "remembrance" - gift cards are kind of the modern equivalent of checks - although checks are more versatile once cashed, cash can be spent anywhere.  Gift cards aren't quite as easily spent, as you h ave to find a place that takes that gift card.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?