News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 23, 2017, 03:13:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High school graduation gift ideas for teens not going away to college.  (Read 2054 times)

crazycatlady331

I graduated high school over 40 years ago.  DD still has the luggage that I bought with one of the cash or check gifts that I got (I passed it along when she was in school and doing some traveling with class field trips) - I think that two suitcases have survived out of three suitcases, a round "personal items" case and a drawstring purse.  I didn't open the visible suitcase to see what all was stored nested inside it when I was there ten days ago...all three suitcases might have survived.  The purse fell apart quickly, as I used it heavily for my first year of college.

She also still has the back pack from a camping store that we bought her in middle school back in 1997 or so - granted, it does show some wear and should be sent in for repairs (it came with a "lifetime guarantee").

Jewelry is nice for "remembrance" - gift cards are kind of the modern equivalent of checks - although checks are more versatile once cashed, cash can be spent anywhere.  Gift cards aren't quite as easily spent, as you h ave to find a place that takes that gift card.

The luggage I got for a HS graudation gift fell apart when I was 21.  I remember being on a trip and having to use duck tape in order to get it home (easy to spot at an airport).  It was not name brand.

Now I want (not need) new luggage because I travel frequently for work and I want a non neutral color (mine is navy) that I can easily spot on a baggage carousel  (eyeing a pink set).

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well

The luggage I got for a HS graudation gift fell apart when I was 21.  I remember being on a trip and having to use duck tape in order to get it home (easy to spot at an airport).  It was not name brand.

Now I want (not need) new luggage because I travel frequently for work and I want a non neutral color (mine is navy) that I can easily spot on a baggage carousel  (eyeing a pink set).

My late suitcase was red fabric with both bright pink and bright yellow duct tape slapped all over it. Piece of cake to spot on the luggage carousel.
Nothing to see here.

Zizi-K

Does the gift have to be stuff? How about taking her on a trip? There are so many great places of historical interest, near home and far away. It could be a road trip or a plane trip, as your budget allows. And it would be a great bonding experience!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
On my last plane trip (came home 10 May), I had a plain black plastic shell hard case and a dark navy blue - with a single large piece of duct tape printed with peacock feathers slapped on each of the six sides.  I grabbed both of them off the carousel faster than VorGuy could spot them (I was looking for peacock feather duct tape and he was trying to spot the suitcases "as a whole").  I've also seen stretch belts wrapped around the middle of suitcases (contrasting colors).  I've also seen a bunch of ribbons tied on the handle - it's amazing that some of the "decorations" didn't fall off.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?