News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 25, 2017, 07:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lamb recipes and side dishes, please. New question #27, UhOh. #40  (Read 1413 times)

cross_patch

Re: Lamb recipes and side dishes, please. New question #27, UhOh. #40
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »
How long does it take to thaw out a 10lb leg? I just took it out of the freezer. It's Thursday eve, so it should be thawed by 9am Sunday, right? I meant to take it out last night to put it in the fridge, but forgot and forgot again this morning. ::) . . . am I in trouble here?

I'm surprised you haven't Googled for how to do a quick thaw safely or how long it would take to thaw a ten-pound roast in the refrigerator.  I'd suggest trying that.  I'm pretty sure (from having done this search myself last year) that you will find info from the government entity that handles food safety standards.

LOL! Yes, you are correct that I can google things for myself, and I probably should (and have done for various questions that I haven't posted, many not concerning this particular thread). However I find this site to be a family and I would prefer to talk to people that I trust, people that have been there done that and have past experience as opposed to a random search . . . asking questions here is, I think, more on a personal level.

Thank you again, Marga, for the link that you provided. I strongly appreciate your, and everybody else that posted, ideas and thoughts.

That's what I love about this site. The personal, trusted, view point. ;D

Although for things like food safety etc it probably is actually better to go with a reputable source like FauxFoodist suggested than what is effectively a group of random people on the internet.

FauxFoodist

Re: Lamb recipes and side dishes, please. New question #27, UhOh. #40
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
How long does it take to thaw out a 10lb leg? I just took it out of the freezer. It's Thursday eve, so it should be thawed by 9am Sunday, right? I meant to take it out last night to put it in the fridge, but forgot and forgot again this morning. ::) . . . am I in trouble here?

I'm surprised you haven't Googled for how to do a quick thaw safely or how long it would take to thaw a ten-pound roast in the refrigerator.  I'd suggest trying that.  I'm pretty sure (from having done this search myself last year) that you will find info from the government entity that handles food safety standards.

LOL! Yes, you are correct that I can google things for myself, and I probably should (and have done for various questions that I haven't posted, many not concerning this particular thread). However I find this site to be a family and I would prefer to talk to people that I trust, people that have been there done that and have past experience as opposed to a random search . . . asking questions here is, I think, more on a personal level.

Thank you again, Marga, for the link that you provided. I strongly appreciate your, and everybody else that posted, ideas and thoughts.

That's what I love about this site. The personal, trusted, view point. ;D

Although for things like food safety etc it probably is actually better to go with a reputable source like FauxFoodist suggested than what is effectively a group of random people on the internet.

Yes, that is my feeling as well.

Besides, Google is your friend.  ;)

jpcher

UPDATE: It was awesome! ;D

Tender, juicy, excellent taste especially with the garlic slivers stuffed in the meat (this part was easier than I thought it would be!) and the aroma floating through my house while it was cooking was tantalizing. Everybody kept asking "Is it done yet?"

I put halved baby yukon yellow potatoes in the pot with the lamb about 45 minutes before the lamb was done and they cooked beautifully, soaking up the herbs and lamb flavoring.

I made a huge tray of asparagus, mushrooms, onion, grape tomato sprinkled with olive oil, garlic and some rosemary (an herb used in the lamb). Delisch!

I didn't make a salad, I thought with the veggies there was enough food, and had fresh strawberries and ice cream for dessert.

Oh! and one of the best parts was that DD#2 had a client that morning and DD#1 went with her to get her hair done. While they were gone, DD#1's BFsam helped me with all the prep work. He knows his way around the kitchen . . . wonderful bonding experience. ;D

Thank you all for helping me (and BFsam ;)) create a wonderful meal. All of your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. I used regular fresh oregano instead of the greek oregano the lamb recipe called for . . . I was about to ask here what was the difference, but I googled instead. ;)

Psychopoesie

"P.S. I used regular fresh oregano instead of the greek oregano the lamb recipe called for . . . I was about to ask here what was the difference, but I googled instead. ;)"

Ha! Good for you! ;)

Great update. Can almost smell those delicious lamb flavours from here.