News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 25, 2017, 07:52:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Acting on "insider information"-yes or no?  (Read 1145 times)

guihong

Acting on "insider information"-yes or no?
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »
Hi, all:

Yesterday, I  heard through the grapevine at work that "Melissa", one of the customer service workers and a supervisor of the checkers, had quit suddenly.  I asked a coworker, "Where's Melissa?  Haven't seen her lately?" and got a story that was not confirmed by high-ups, just speculation.

I have been thinking of making my interest in a promotion known for some time.  Would it be really "off" to say something like "Boss, I just wanted to say that if an opening in Customer Service comes up, I want to be considered for the position"?  That way, I don't have to look like a gossip and Melissa doesn't have to come up at all, even if her leaving is a big open secret.

I do know that I could be in a good position to get it.  The other two cashiers with seniority over me emphatically do not want it.  I want it for steadier hours and more pay. 

Or am I overthinking this?

FoxPaws

Re: Acting on "insider information"-yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
Go for it. And good luck!
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
Not a problem at all, IMO as an employer. 

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »
In the circumstances, I don't think you're really acting on insider information other than just the timing of your discussion with your boss, so I think you're just fine.

Runningstar

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:31:10 PM »
Definitely speak up!!  I did this same thing once long ago, and while I didn't get the promotion I did find out what my supervisors thought of me & the areas that I needed to improve upon!  It was well worth it and either way you will gain. 

GardenGal

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
I think you should give it your best shot!  Even if Melissa didn't quit, you've got nothing to lose by making your interest in a different position known, as long as you keep doing a good job at your present position.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

TootsNYC

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »
Is it a secret -that- Melissa quit?  Maybe -how- she quit is gossip, but the simple fact that she -did- quit should be fair game to talk about.

I think you could mention the potential opening.

But I also don't think you need to, and I don't think you need to be so hesitant.

I think you can say, "Boss, I wanted to talk to you about whether I could move into a customer service position. I'd like the higher pay and the steadier hours, and I think I'd be good at it because of XYZ. And I really like working here."  (add the "working here" bit so they don't assume you're immediately going to go look elsewhere if you don't get it--but if they hire someone else after you've mentioned your interest, then you should go look elsewhere)

Because even if Melissa didn't quit, then Boss knows you're interested.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »
Go for it!

Good luck.