News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 05:04:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cake maker stress  (Read 8891 times)

TabathasGran

Re: Cake maker stress
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:40 PM »
She should be the one worried about the social fallout. What a flake!

lakey

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
If you tried to contact her for a phone call one week before the wedding and she couldn't bother, you had no choice. Either she's a total flake or she doesn't really want to do it. If you need to explain to DF, BM, or her, just say that you couldn't nail her down on final plans.
If you had continued with her doing this, my suspicion is you would have been stressed out as the wedding got closer as to whether she was going to do the cake at all, or just flake out at the last minute.

Just a suggestion, if you haven't made a cake frosted exactly like that in the past, it might be a good idea to do a practice one. Of course it's the type of design that doesn't need to be exact, so it shouldn't be a problem. I love the look of it; it is elegant.

forsythia

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »
If you tried to contact her for a phone call one week before the wedding and she couldn't bother, you had no choice. Either she's a total flake or she doesn't really want to do it. If you need to explain to DF, BM, or her, just say that you couldn't nail her down on final plans.

If you had continued with her doing this, my suspicion is you would have been stressed out as the wedding got closer as to whether she was going to do the cake at all, or just flake out at the last minute.

Just a suggestion, if you haven't made a cake frosted exactly like that in the past, it might be a good idea to do a practice one. Of course it's the type of design that doesn't need to be exact, so it shouldn't be a problem. I love the look of it; it is elegant.

Yes, I did have no other choice left and by yesterday the real possibility that I would have no cake at all or be getting 11th hour phone calls from a harried last-miniter was looking inevitable.  I had forgotten that many years ago I went through this sort of thing with her before an event which for I also had out of guests arriving and was pulled away up until midnight the night before with having to hand-hold her. This does come down to my making a gross error in not saying, "Thanks, but no thanks." But then again, she was a bit of a harried young mother back in those days. I presumed creating chaos out of nothing was not still an issue for her - wrongly. Her response yesterday evening floored me.

DF is up to speed on the whole thing and no explanations are needed. He does feel awkward and a bit sad that this latest has caused not exactly warm and fuzzzies on my part toward the wife of his best friend. I also needed to nip this in the bud a week before because knowing myself, I am now in a bit of foul judge-y space toward her and that is not good nor would be good to have it show at our ceremony.

Thank you about the cake style choice, lakey  :D

I have made similar cakes, albeit not with as many layers.  :) DD2 who is excellent in the kitchen will be doing it with me. Any expert baker tips would be more than welcome and gratefully received. I will do some reading and YouTube video how-to watching re multi-layer cakes. My thinking as a first timer with such a cake is one thing that  would be very important is to lay out all of the layers long enough to cool completely, so as to prevent cracking.

When I have baked similar cakes in the past, I have always made them the day before, more than 24 hours before serving to let it set. We are planning on doing this one on Thursday for a Saturday afternoon weddding. The one thing I am concerned with is the icing not being fresh after sitting for 2 days. Should I wait to ice it until the night before?

doodlemor

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
 Should I wait to ice it until the night before?

I think that there is a real danger that the layers will dry out if you do that.  Some cakes get painted with syrup to counter this, though.

Perhaps an experienced ehell cake maker can offer some good advice here - if not, I think that you need to google this enough to be sure.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 01:21:10 PM »
One of the baking blogs I look at occasionally (iambaker.net) recommends refrigerating or freezing the layers with a crumb coat (thin layer of frosting before the final layer).  That would probably make the final assembly a little easier.

Another thing you can do for a little extra moistness is brush the layers with simple syrup before frosting/chilling.

I think as long as you're wrapping the cake layers well, there shouldn't be an issue with waiting to frost the cake.

forsythia

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
Thank you both, @doodlemor and @Harriet Jones

PastryGoddess

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
Former pastry chef here :)
You want to cool the whole cake before cutting into layers.  Don't cut and then cool. 
How tall are your cake pans? If you want a tall cake, make 2 cakes and do 4 thin layers.  If you have a fairly tall (3in) or so pan, you can get away with a cake and a half
make sure to put a generous amount of simple syrup on each layer.  You want to really soak it on there
Do a thin crumb coat and freeze it before you do the final layer

If you want an extra pop of flavor, a thin layer of raspberry or blueberry jam would be a nice counterpoint to the lemon. 

If you put enough simple syrup on it, you can ice it a couple of days before and it'll be fine. 

forsythia

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
Hi @PastryGoddess,

Thanks!

My pans are 1 1/2" high by 8 1/2" wide.

I am planning on baking 2 pans of the cake, cooling and refrigerating.
Then slice each cake in half, so as to have 4 thin-ish layers. That is high enough, methinks.
I love raspberry and was already thinking of that for between the layers. You read my mind. ;) I will coat the layer first and do a frosting dam edge to prevent leakage/bulging and of course also the dusting of frosting before I refrigerate it.

I went out this evening to buy some tools of the trade I did not have, and am now looking forward to this.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 10:45:22 PM »
OK, that sounds really awesome. If it weren't for the fact that my husband is very much averse to lemon in any baked goods, I'd ask him to whip me up one. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »
Hi @PastryGoddess,

Thanks!

Then slice each cake in half, so as to have 4 thin-ish layers. That is high enough, methinks.
I love raspberry and was already thinking of that for between the layers. You read my mind. ;) I will coat the layer first and do a frosting dam edge to prevent leakage/bulging and of course also the dusting of frosting before I refrigerate it.

I went out this evening to buy some tools of the trade I did not have, and am now looking forward to this.
Hi @PastryGoddess,

Thanks!

Yay!  I love all things lemon cake, glad to see our Vulcan Mind Meld was happening properly :D

pro tip: after cutting, flip the cakes upside down so the perfectly flat bottom is now the top.  Also depending on the jam you're using.  Heat it a bit and thin it with simple syrup to aid in spreading it out on the cake with the least amount of crumbs. 

LifeOnPluto

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2017, 12:11:07 AM »
Generally speaking, I think that when someone offers to do you a favour for free, they have some leeway as to the details - but they should definitely take your preferences into account. I think if you (general you, the person for whom the favour is being done) wants something very specific, you're better off going with a paid professional.

In this case, it's a shame this lady flaked out at the last minute, but I think you're doing the right thing in taking back carriage of this task yourself.

Also, I too have never heard of a Groom's Cake. What is it? (I mean, by it's name, it sounds like a cake just for the Groom, but why does the Groom get his own special cake??)

Mustard

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2017, 04:00:45 AM »
Forsythia you sound really excited to be making your own cake!

rose red

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2017, 07:52:31 AM »
Also, I too have never heard of a Groom's Cake. What is it? (I mean, by it's name, it sounds like a cake just for the Groom, but why does the Groom get his own special cake??)

This is the first link that popped up when googling "groom's cake."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom%27s_cake

Perhaps since back in the day, it's the bride who usually chose the pretty wedding cake design(?) So some groom somewhere said "Hey, no fair!" so it was decided a smaller cake of his choice was made and, thus, the "groom's cake" was born. ;) ;D

TootsNYC

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »
I agree with the idea that when someone is doing you a favor, or they're indulging in their hobby in order to help you, they expect to do things their way more than yours.

It's precisely why I wouldn't let my FIL make a cabinet for me, and it's why I didn't get the best result when he made a plant stand and a light fixture.

He had his own ideas, and he did them, and they are NOT my taste. IMO, they ruin the look of the thing. One the plant stand, I actually dismantled part of the trim because I knew he wouldn't see it, and I hated it.

When I care about how something looks, or how it's made, etc., I've learned the hard way to NOT let the concept of a favor enter in.

Or if I accept a favor, I have to make myself be willing to accept whatever the end result is.

And I think that's part of it.

But I also think this lady may just live in the chaos and flakiness--she may like the IDEA of the project, as a mental exercise more than the concept of doing something someone can actually use/like. Hence all those questions about all sorts of unrelated things.

You were smart to decide to bail on her, and that was good wording.
It's also a good lesson for you, and now that you've shared it here, hopefully a lesson for someone else.

forsythia

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
OK, that sounds really awesome. If it weren't for the fact that my husband is very much averse to lemon in any baked goods, I'd ask him to whip me up one. :-)

;D

Averse to lemon? Say, it isn't so.  ;) I always feel sorry for people when they have a strong aversion to a flavour that I find wonderfully pleasing and think it sad for them to be missing out.  Taste, it is such an individual thing, eh. Good thing. It is like the French say, "Vive la différence!"

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:24:18 PM by forsythia »

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.