News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 24, 2017, 07:10:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: San Francisco in August  (Read 1046 times)

gollymolly2

Re: San Francisco in August
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
Just FYI, airbnb is legal in San Francisco, but there are regulations (you have to register your place with the city, you can only rent your place out so many nights a year, etc). So the city is cracking down to some degree on the people violating those regulations. But it's certainly legal here.

If you're booking a hotel, keep an eye out for ones that say they're in the "union square" neighborhood. Union Square is a shopping area downtown and it's perfectly fine to stay there. But it is directly next to the Tenderloin, arguably the worst neighborhood in SF. And there are quite a few hotels in the Tenderloin that claim to be in Union Square. So look places up on a map before you book.

o_gal

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 06:18:14 AM »
A full service hotel is going to charge you an arm & a leg for parking. Last time I was there I paid something like $40 per night.

My usual suggestion is the Cow Hollow Motor Inn or on of its sister properties. They are in the Marina, on Lombard (not the famous twisty part). The Cow Hollow is the best, I think. Parking is free. There are a number of restaurants, coffee places, and watering holes within walking distance, and easy access to buses. Also easy to get taxis, Uber, or Lyft.

We're going to be at The Lombard Inn, one of the sister properties. When I tried to book Cow Hollow, they only had rooms with 1 King or 2 double beds. My DH is 6'8" and DS is rapidly approaching that, so doubles aren't ideal. But some of the sister properties were fully booked, and the Lombard had rooms with 2 doubles for a bit less than the Cow Hollow. Reviews on TripAdvisor were pretty good, so I booked it. Free parking too! Now just have to get a rental car and we're set. I told DH that after I paid for airfare, hotel in Louisville, hotel in SF, and rental, that he's in charge of food and various miscellaneous expenses.   :D

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
When you start looking for a rental car, check the difference between picking up at the airport and picking it up in the city. Assorted airport taxes and fees can make a big difference--I once priced cars for someone and found it $400 cheaper away from the airport. Many companies will deliver a car to your hotel.

On the travel board where I hang out, many people have written positively about using http://www.rentalcars.com/en/magazine/news/car-hire-3000/ to find rentals. I have no personal experience with them.

It is easy to get to your hotel from the airport by shuttle services like Supershuttle, Uber, Lyft, or taxi. Or even transit, although it would involve hauling baggage and changing buses.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

siamesecat2965

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
When you start looking for a rental car, check the difference between picking up at the airport and picking it up in the city. Assorted airport taxes and fees can make a big difference--I once priced cars for someone and found it $400 cheaper away from the airport. Many companies will deliver a car to your hotel.

On the travel board where I hang out, many people have written positively about using http://www.rentalcars.com/en/magazine/news/car-hire-3000/ to find rentals. I have no personal experience with them.

It is easy to get to your hotel from the airport by shuttle services like Supershuttle, Uber, Lyft, or taxi. Or even transit, although it would involve hauling baggage and changing buses.

I've also used HOtwire a couple of times. They were way less than booking directly through the company, even with airport pickup. you do need to know your exact p/u and d/o times, but you can save quite a bit.

AvidReader

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 07:18:13 AM »

We're going to be at The Lombard Inn, one of the sister properties. When I tried to book Cow Hollow, they only had rooms with 1 King or 2 double beds. My DH is 6'8" and DS is rapidly approaching that, so doubles aren't ideal. But some of the sister properties were fully booked, and the Lombard had rooms with 2 doubles for a bit less than the Cow Hollow. Reviews on TripAdvisor were pretty good, so I booked it. Free parking too! Now just have to get a rental car and we're set. I told DH that after I paid for airfare, hotel in Louisville, hotel in SF, and rental, that he's in charge of food and various miscellaneous expenses.   :D

Just two weeks ago we stayed at the Cow Hollow Inn on Lombard St.  Not to worry, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance in that area and nothing beats free hotel parking in SF.  I will caution however, that if your room overlooks Lombard Street, the street is a major thoroughfare with three lanes in each direction 24/7.  If at check-in you can request a room not on the Lombard Street side, take it. We had to sleep with ear plugs (we always travel with them). 

On parking in general.  We were very pleased that there is plenty of parking in the touristy places.  It was easy to find parking at the Embarcadero and on the edge of Chinatown.  On an earlier suggestion on this thread, I booked tickets for the Alcatraz Island tour.  Totally worth it!  Book online three or four weeks in advance.   It is the only tour that goes to the island and you get an included audio guide tour to the cell block. 

If you will be taking in Chinatown, don't miss the fortune cookie factory on Ross Alley.  It's a hoot!   My challenge was that I bought two bags of cookies and got them through the airport, flight, and home without breakage that same day. 

If your rental car is airport pickup/drop off from SFO, fill up the return in San Bruno.  It is a right turn off the freeway ramp when the rental car return is the left turn off the same ramp.  There are no gas stations on the freeway between downtown and the airport.  They are however, on the surface streets.

ETA:  Our trip included a week along the coast and wine country north of SF.  We headed out of town over the Golden Gate Bridge. (Don't miss Muir Woods...redwoods...less than an hour from SF.)  There is no bridge toll to head out of town.  There is however, a toll when you head back in to town on the GG.  The toll is collected electronically on PlatePass.  We did NOT take PlatePass with our rental car.  If you pay the toll online within 48 hours of crossing the bridge back into town, you pay the going rate.  Which I did.  I am keeping the receipt in the event of a snafu down the road with the rental car company.  It was a bit frustrating to pay online because of the license plate.  Our plate was "xxx xxx."  I tried that, then I tried it as "xxx-xxx."  And only got it to work with "xxxxxx."   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:38:52 AM by AvidReader »