News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 02:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brighton in Mid-October  (Read 1429 times)

Thipu1

Brighton in Mid-October
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »
We'll be visiting London and Southampton in mid-October before taking the QM2 back to Brooklyn.  The possibility of an outing and perhaps an overnight stay in Brighton has been discussed.  We're well acquainted with London and Southampton but I haven't visited Brighton since the mid 1970s and Mr. Thipu has never been there.

The Royal Pavilion and the pier are definitely on our  list. I also remember attending a performance of the D'Oyly Carte in a wonderful little gem of a theater.   

Considering the time of year, what else can local E-Hellions tell us about which attractions are likely to be open and what kind of weather we can expect.

As always, any and all suggestions will be gratefully received.     

Gladly

Re: Brighton in Mid-October
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:37:25 AM »
I don't live close enough to Brighton to be able to advise on what to see in October, but weather wise, I'd say be prepared for almost anything.  It won't be as warm as August and September, I'd say October is generally about 12-15C (55-60F).  It could be sunny and warmer, or rainy and colder.  You could get one glorious day followed by a wet miserable one. You probably won't get any snow!  >:D

Sorry, but UK weather is notoriously unpredictable.  When going anywhere, most of us pack clothes that can be layered, so you can add or remove a layer or two as necessary.  However, we always take waterproofs or an umbrella too, just in case.

Have a lovely holiday!

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:08:26 AM »
You might find this helpful:

https://www.visitbrighton.com/things-to-do

Brighton has changed a lot since the 1970s. It's very trendy, a bit like a San Francisco of England. Lots of vegetarian cafes, crafty-arty shops, alternative lifestyles, etc. Elected the only Green Party member of parliament (quite an achievement in a first-past-the-post system).

And yes, expect anything from sunny and 18C, down to wet, windy and 5C.

bunny

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 05:31:47 AM »
The Pavilion will definitely be open in October, as will the museum.  The pier you remember from the mid 70s may be the beautiful old West Pier which unfortunately has been almost totally destroyed by fire and storms.  The iron framework is visible from the beach and is a favourite roosting site for local birds.  However, the pleasure pier with rides and amusements is still open and there is a new ascending panoramic viewing platform on the seafront.  The antique shops in the Lanes are also still going strong. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Thipu1

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:43 AM »
Thank you all for the good advice and the useful link. 

We know how unpredictable weather in the UK can be and will have appropriate clothing because we'll be coming home on the QM2.  Once, we were in Inverness in August and darn near froze to death.  The woolen shops got good business from us.  ;D

ClaireC79

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 05:56:17 AM »
Last time I went to Brighton it was April or May - it was snowing - we still had an icecream on the beach

LondonAngel

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:40:29 PM »
have a jacket and sunscreen, for some reason i always get a bit red from the sun...i have no idea why.
fish and chips on the beach at sunset is a must

scotcat60

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
Take an umbrella and some warm clothes. The UK is infamous for rain all year round.