News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 19, 2017, 03:03:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Copy and Paste this if you care"  (Read 4152 times)

Kiwipinball

Re: "Copy and Paste this if you care"
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »
I generally ignore them, but I think it can make sense to comment if you know this is an issue the poster has been dealing with. As someone else mentioned, I think a lot of people copy and paste because they feel guilty (they're probably also against cancer - most of us are - but it's not necessarily deeply personal), but if it's more personal for whatever reason, showing support is a nice thing (and probably a lot more noticeable than if you actually copy and pasted).

And those awareness campaigns totally spread awareness - of how annoying they are!

Lula

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »
When you flood me with idle, spammy "awareness" material on Facebook or elsewhere, you're training my brain's filters to block your cause out as irrelevant background noise, which would seem counterproductive to raising awareness.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 01:02:35 AM »
Yeah, I think they feel like they are contributing something and acting better than others, when in fact all they're doing is spamming, not helping any cause.
That's why it's called "Slactivism". (Slacker Activism. The feel good factor of appearing to do good without actually making a meaningful difference to anything).
<3

Paws

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:02 AM »
Probably showing my techie ignorance here, but what is the value of copy & pasting over sharing? Sharing would seem to be more advantageous.  If your goal is to spread awareness, why eliminate the one-click option?  I don't get it.  Also, with shares, you can at least see at a glance how many people responded.   

I never ever ever respond to these.  The guilting part just infuriates me. 

If I want Facebook attention, I will just post a cat picture :-)

maksi

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 05:56:02 AM »
Probably showing my techie ignorance here, but what is the value of copy & pasting over sharing? Sharing would seem to be more advantageous.  If your goal is to spread awareness, why eliminate the one-click option?  I don't get it.  Also, with shares, you can at least see at a glance how many people responded.   

If it's someone's status, it's often private, Friends Only (or someone custom list) and thus won't show to other people. Of course making the status public would spread more "awareness" and then sharing it would be "enough"...

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »

If it's someone's status, it's often private, Friends Only (or someone custom list) and thus won't show to other people. Of course making the status public would spread more "awareness" and then sharing it would be "enough"...

For possibly controversial posts, it also mutes the "heckler's veto." It's very common for groups offended by something to go on a reporting campaign with FB. FB can pull the post and if shared, all of the shares will go away as well. It's a lot harder to do that with copy-and-paste because there's no link. FB isn't very good with enforcing their "community standards" and some fairly innocuous stuff can still get banned by a dedicated crew of trolls.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Paws

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »
Thanks maksi & artk2002 for the explanation.

Sharnita

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
I find the tone of a lot of these bullying. Kind of "you want us all to die of cancer if you don't copy and paste".

I also think some of these are lame - who doesn't hate cancer?

diesel_darlin

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »
I find the tone of a lot of these bullying. Kind of "you want us all to die of cancer if you don't copy and paste".

I also think some of these are lame - who doesn't hate cancer?
Exactly. Just like the ones that say "I know no one will follow directions but I want 20 people to say hi to me".