News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 20, 2017, 01:45:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: revisiting old recipes  (Read 805 times)

MOM21SON

revisiting old recipes
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »
My father sent me two cookbooks from my hometown.  A bunch of natives from my city wrote and published them.  There were many Polish and Italian families where I am from.  Such fun memories!  Many that I still won't even be brave enough to try and make but boy were they good.

This dip was not in the book but I've been making it for gatherings for the last year or so.  Sour cream with onion soup mix.

Anyone else have any old favorites?

jpcher

Re: revisiting old recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
I haven't had that dip in ages! It was a go-to dip that my mother always made when I was a child.

Thanks for reminding me of it!

cicero

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:19:53 PM »
I grew up with two cookbooks: the settlement cookbook, which was pretty much my cooking bible, and a small, spiral bound, self published cookbook by a group of ex pats living in Israel (it was published in the late '60s or early 70s). As often happens with this type of book, the second one was based on recipes contributed by (mostly) women and I don't know if anything was tested.

Many recipes were tried and tried again. I guess I would have to nominate Black midnight cake as the one I most often went back to.

PS i know there is a website with scanned copies if old cookbooks. Maybe someone remembers the link?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

catwhiskers

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
Back in 2014 I posted looking for a similar recipe to one that I half remembered from a cookbook for young cooks that I used to own. I couldn't remember any details about the title, author or publisher of the book.

Well, this thread inspired me to try to find that book again by combing through cookbooks on Amazon... and I've found it. It appears it's no longer in print, but I've ordered a second hand copy. I am so happy that I got up and danced around the room when I recognised the cover. Really looking forward to making some of my old favourite things and hoping they taste as good as I remember them.

MOM21SON

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
Back in 2014 I posted looking for a similar recipe to one that I half remembered from a cookbook for young cooks that I used to own. I couldn't remember any details about the title, author or publisher of the book.

Well, this thread inspired me to try to find that book again by combing through cookbooks on Amazon... and I've found it. It appears it's no longer in print, but I've ordered a second hand copy. I am so happy that I got up and danced around the room when I recognised the cover. Really looking forward to making some of my old favourite things and hoping they taste as good as I remember them.

Awe!  Enjoy and post some favorites!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »
Of all things I was thinking about last night ... that old Tuna Noodle Casserole with the potato chips

I love that old favorite.  And I'm apparently the only person I know that still buys the Tuna Helper version. 

Mikayla

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
There's been this old yellow cookbook floating around my family for generations.  I think it's called Boston School of Cooking or something.  Anyway, they have the best recipe for Beef Stroganoff I've found.  \\

What I *cannot* find is my mom's 24 hour salad recipe.  I remember it had iceberg lettuce and water chestnuts.  Every year or so, I spend an hour trying to find this thing, and most of what I see has bacon in it.  I love bacon, but that proves it's the wrong recipe.   I do know the dressing was mayo and parmesan cheese and you "sealed" the salad with a layer of this. 

Psychopoesie

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 06:29:30 PM »
There's been this old yellow cookbook floating around my family for generations.  I think it's called Boston School of Cooking or something.  Anyway, they have the best recipe for Beef Stroganoff I've found.  \\

What I *cannot* find is my mom's 24 hour salad recipe.  I remember it had iceberg lettuce and water chestnuts.  Every year or so, I spend an hour trying to find this thing, and most of what I see has bacon in it.  I love bacon, but that proves it's the wrong recipe.   I do know the dressing was mayo and parmesan cheese and you "sealed" the salad with a layer of this.

Found one vintage recipe with no bacon (sadly no water chestnuts either). Does have iceberg lettuce, Parmesan and mayo involved though.

http://www.vintagerecipeproject.com/24-hour-salad/

ETA: found one with water chestnuts. http://www.cooks.com/recipe/6t3fa9wr/24-hour-salad.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:31:39 PM by Psychopoesie »

Mikayla

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
Pscyhopoesie!   If you combine these 2, I think we have it.  I didn't mention peas or red onion, but they were in it, as well.   So it's basically taking the dressing from one and the ingredients from the other. 

Thank you so much.  (I realize this probably sounds like a hot mess!  But that combo of ingredients with the dressing just works so well).

Psychopoesie

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »
Pscyhopoesie!   If you combine these 2, I think we have it.  I didn't mention peas or red onion, but they were in it, as well.   So it's basically taking the dressing from one and the ingredients from the other. 

Thank you so much.  (I realize this probably sounds like a hot mess!  But that combo of ingredients with the dressing just works so well).

So pleased I could help. Don't think I'd come across a salad like it and was curious enough to run some searches. Didn't think I'd strike it that lucky though. Let me know how it works out. :)

Mikayla

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »
I will.  I've already sent those links to my sis, who agrees we can re-create it! 

TiaraBunny

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
If you will do a search for 7 Layer Salad or Seven Layer Salad you will find lots of recipes for this dish.  I make mine with lettuce, celery, green onions, water chestnuts, peas, mayo, seasonings, bacon and cheddar.  One of my friends uses cauliflower in place of the water chestnuts and it is delicious as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:26:52 PM by TiaraBunny »