News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 04:48:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does anyone make cold brew coffee?  (Read 1449 times)

MOM21SON

Does anyone make cold brew coffee?
« on: June 10, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
I just purchased the kitchenaid cold brewer.  Anyone have any experience with it or other brewers?

cicero

Re: Does anyone make cold brew coffee?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:16:52 PM »
I just purchased the kitchenaid cold brewer.  Anyone have any experience with it or other brewers?
I make cold brew 1-2 times a week. I drink one cup every morning before work, more [much more] on weekends.

Tbh, I use my French press. I just make the coffee, let it sit overnight and strain. I started following a recipe I saw online a few years ago (maybe the Pioneer woman?) Where they said to mix it in a jug and strain it, which is how I thought of just using the French press.

Love cold brew.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MOM21SON

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
I make cold brew 1-2 times a week. I drink one cup every morning before work, more [much more] on weekends.

Tbh, I use my French press. I just make the coffee, let it sit overnight and strain. I started following a recipe I saw online a few years ago (maybe the Pioneer woman?) Where they said to mix it in a jug and strain it, which is how I thought of just using the French press.

Love cold brew.

Thanks!  From what I have found out a lot of people use a French Press.  I have been just using leftover hot coffee from DH but I don't always get to it before he tosses it to make a new pot. 

I do drink hot coffee but prefer iced.  I thought I would treat myself to this brewing thing.  It makes concentrated coffee.  It recommends a 1/3 ratio.  1/3 coffee, 1/3 water, 1/3 cream/milk.  It says the concentrate lasts 2 weeks in the fridge.  I have almond vanilla brewing now.  We shall see in the am!

cicero

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »

Thanks!  From what I have found out a lot of people use a French Press.  I have been just using leftover hot coffee from DH but I don't always get to it before he tosses it to make a new pot. 

I do drink hot coffee but prefer iced.  I thought I would treat myself to this brewing thing.  It makes concentrated coffee.  It recommends a 1/3 ratio.  1/3 coffee, 1/3 water, 1/3 cream/milk.  It says the concentrate lasts 2 weeks in the fridge.  I have almond vanilla brewing now.  We shall see in the am!
IMHO it tastes much better than "leftover hot brewed coffee". Less acidic, more concentrated. I add ice and a little milk or half and half. Sometimes a drop of homemade vanilla but I'm a purist when it comes to coffee - don't like yo add any flavors

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »
I've never used an electric brewer for cold coffee, just these cloth bags I purchased from Amazon specifically for cold brewing. You put the coffee grounds in the bag, hold the open bag in the pitcher while you pour cold water over the grounds to fill the pitcher, then tie off the bag and let it steep like a tea bag. I usually make it a gallon at a time and leave mine steeping from after dinner until before breakfast. It is soooo good! The leftover grounds get added to the garden or composted, the bag rinsed/washed and it's ready to be reused again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QG1Y18E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bloo

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »
I also use my French press to make cold brew, similar to Cicero.  I never liked iced coffee until I tried cold brew.

Any leftover hot brew coffee is poured into ice cube trays and my son either uses them for Frappuccino or to toss in an iced coffee so it doesn't get watered down.

Ginger G

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »
This is timely, I was just looking at the KitchenAid cold brew maker yesterday and was thinking of getting one! Have you used it and if so do you like it? I like cold brew and drink it every morning during the warm months. I've been buying the jugs of cold brew at the grocery store, usually Starbucks or another brand called Stok.  I've tried the manual method, but it's time consuming and the yield isn't worth the time and effort, but I was thinking that purchasing the KitchenAid might save me some money in the long run.

MOM21SON

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »
This is timely, I was just looking at the KitchenAid cold brew maker yesterday and was thinking of getting one! Have you used it and if so do you like it? I like cold brew and drink it every morning during the warm months. I've been buying the jugs of cold brew at the grocery store, usually Starbucks or another brand called Stok.  I've tried the manual method, but it's time consuming and the yield isn't worth the time and effort, but I was thinking that purchasing the KitchenAid might save me some money in the long run.

I'm in love with it!  The only obstacle I have found is course ground coffee.  The groceries I use don't have the machine to grind your own, so I bought a grinder.  I probably should have bought a better grinder.

The unit is nice size and is heavy glass, but has a handle to pick it up with.  The pour spout is also a very nice feature.

Hope this helps!

Ginger G

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
Thanks for the review, I mentioned it to my mom and she asked if I could wait until Christmas so she can give me one as a gift. I figure I've gone this long without one, I can wait a little longer.

cattlekid

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 02:50:30 PM »
I started with just a Mason jar with water and ground coffee sitting in the fridge overnight and strained through cheesecloth.  It worked OK but not great.

I just got this pitcher and it works fabulously:

https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-Coffee-Maker-1-Quart-Black/dp/B00FFLY64U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500925793&sr=8-1&keywords=takeda+cold+brew

MOM21SON

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »
I started with just a Mason jar with water and ground coffee sitting in the fridge overnight and strained through cheesecloth.  It worked OK but not great.

https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-Coffee-Maker-1-Quart-Black/dp/B00FFLY64U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500925793&sr=8-1&keywords=takeda+cold+brew

I almost got that one.  In the reviews people complained about the glass being thin and cracking easily.  For me that was fine but DH and DS are like bulls in a china shop. 

My mother had a beautiful antique candy dish that I remember from my whole life.  It was well over 100 years old.  It lasted in my house about 2 weeks, no lie. 

Hmmmmm

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
Thanks for the review, I mentioned it to my mom and she asked if I could wait until Christmas so she can give me one as a gift. I figure I've gone this long without one, I can wait a little longer.

Till you get a the system, try the Pioneer Woman's cold brew method. It's pretty straight forward. I do a half recipe at a time. I grind up a half pound of s strong bean and add it to a gallon of water. I let it steep on the counter for about 12 to 14 hours. I then strain it through a mesh strainer and then again through a coffee filter. I use a Melitta single cup filter but she uses cheese cloth. I store it in the fridge and it will last me more than a week. I just add a little milk (soy, regular, or almond) and sweetener when I'm ready for a cup. And sometimes in the afternoon I treat myself to a glass sweetened with sweetened condensed milk like a Vietnamese coffee.

kansha

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »

I almost got that one.  In the reviews people complained about the glass being thin and cracking easily.  For me that was fine but DH and DS are like bulls in a china shop. 
but this isn't glass, but plastic..

MOM21SON

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »
Ok, sorry,  must be a different one.  Are you enjoying it?  I'm getting ready to brew Texas pecan!