News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 05:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: not enough seating - is this new?  (Read 3474 times)

goldilocks

not enough seating - is this new?
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:46:47 AM »
This is the  2nd wedding I've attended in recent years where there was not enough seating at the reception.  I'm not talking about a slight shortage, I mean only about half the guests had a place to sit at the reception.

This makes it difficult  to put down your things  and dance, it's impossible to eat as well.   

Any reasons for this?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
Re: not enough seating - is this new?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
This is the  2nd wedding I've attended in recent years where there was not enough seating at the reception.  I'm not talking about a slight shortage, I mean only about half the guests had a place to sit at the reception.

This makes it difficult  to put down your things  and dance, it's impossible to eat as well.   

Any reasons for this?

yes - as I understand it is supposed to make people mingle more  since they aren't sitting. In my experience it makes people mingle less.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »
I've seen many wedding websites & articles that suggest not providing enough reception seating. It's supposed to force guests to mingle & move around. But it really just irritates guests into thinking "I bought a $50 gift from your registry, drove 40 miles to be here & bought a fancy dress. But you expect me to balance a plate & a drink in high heels the whole time ?  >:( " Which causes people to just camp out at the seats they can find.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »
I've only seen it at a dessert-only reception where it didn't matter as much. It would annoy me at a full-meal reception.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »
It might make people mingle more, but, for me, it would also make me leave early if I couldn't get a seat.

cattlekid

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:43:02 PM »
Parking my POD right here.  Plus, what about the mobility impaired? 

It might make people mingle more, but, for me, it would also make me leave early if I couldn't get a seat.

NFPwife

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »
Parking my POD right here.  Plus, what about the mobility impaired? 

Me too! I plan shoes based on how many "miles" I'm putting on them and I would have planned having a seat at the reception, if I didn't and my feet started to hurt, I'd leave without a second thought. I'd assume that if you wanted me to stay, you'd have made me reasonably comfortable.

We were at a reception with an SRO cocktail reception, everything was at the same venue and we were ushered out of the ballroom to a cocktail reception while they reset the room. There was no seating. My late MIL and several older attendees were mobility challenged. My DH told a staff member he was getting chairs for them and they granted "permission." (Quotes because he wasn't permission seeking, he was informing.) Others saw the chairs and went to get chairs. At least 40% of people ended up sitting, people just don't appreciate balancing food (heavy apps that required silverware in a few cases) and drinks, while dressed up.

mime

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »
Just over 20 years ago as I was planning my own reception, this was presented as an option. The mansion we used could seat 100 guests for dinner in the dining room. Alternatively, we could have an appetizer reception for 200, where the seating in the ballroom and other rooms would seat not-quite half of those guests.

They also claimed that it allows people to mingle, and it allows for a larger guest list.

I hated the idea that over half of our gests would have nowhere to sit, and I figured the few who got seats would be reluctant to give them up. I also hated the idea that *I* would want to have a seat sometimes, and would feel extremely uncomfortable sitting while guests had to stand. It just didn't seem like it would be very welcoming.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
It's not new, but it's a HORRIBLE idea. The people that have seats refuse to vacate them for fear of losing their seat. The people without seats are peeved about not having anywhere to put their stuff/eat/sit. IME, all this does is make 1/2 the people leave way early in the evening.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

lakey

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »
It isn't just a problem for people who are noticeably mobility impaired. A lot of us can't comfortably stand for long periods of time. Then there is the issue of the kind of dress shoes that  a lot of women wear. Some people may just be tired. I don't think it matters that the reception may  have only appetizers or dessert. It can still be hard for many people to stand for long periods. I think that not providing enough or any seating is thoughtless and inconsiderate.  I'd leave. 

gramma dishes

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 07:26:16 PM »
 :o  How incredibly rude!

It's the epitome of poor hosting!  Whoever came up with this ridiculous idea?  It would be almost guaranteed to have the exact opposite effect of that claimed. 

Instead of encouraging mingling, it would greatly discourage it because the people who were fast enough to grab a seat are not going to risk relinquishing it to go across to the other side of the room and talk to people over there knowing you'll have no place to sit over there and that you'll certainly lose the one you have already!  No way is that going to happen!   :-\

So the seated people will stay put and everyone else will get uncomfortable and leave early thinking less of their hosts and maybe even regretting coming.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
My mum actually suggested a cocktail reception to "save money". But I hate parties like this, you don't get to sit down and don't get much to eat. We had a sit down reception with everyone at one table. Everyone got to sit down.

gramma dishes

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
My mum actually suggested a cocktail reception to "save money". But I hate parties like this, you don't get to sit down and don't get much to eat. We had a sit down reception with everyone at one table. Everyone got to sit down.

Actually I've been to cocktail receptions and they're fine!  In both cases they were called that in the invitation or in some way it was made  clear this was not going to be a meal.  But ... there were plenty of chairs for everyone.

I would say they were more similar to the 'cake/ice cream/punch' type receptions that were the first many receptions I attended and they are still popular today, especially in some smaller communities.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 08:30:25 PM »
Well, I was the bride, I get to pick what sort of reception I want. :)

gramma dishes

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »
Well, I was the bride, I get to pick what sort of reception I want. :)

LOL!  Of course!   ;D