News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 06:43:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ellen DeGeneres: "Will my audience steal ?"  (Read 3887 times)

TeamBhakta

Ellen DeGeneres: "Will my audience steal ?"
« on: June 25, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »
Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres decided to test her studio audience. She told them they could each take one free souvenir. Unbeknownst to the audience, they were secretly being taped choosing the souvenirs. One woman initially took two items, but then put one item back & said she would buy it instead. Then Ellen showed two more women who who both took extra souvenirs together; for whatever reason, Ellen only called out one of them. Ellen said to that particular woman "Let that be a lesson to you. You think nobody's watching you & you just need to be a good person just because you want to be a good person", then told the woman to go sit in a tall Ellen Jail chair. Was it rude of Ellen to set up her audience to see if they'd steal ? (No legal discussions, of course) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn3AgNC2TSk

Zizi-K

Re: Ellen DeGeneres: "Will my audience steal ?"
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 07:37:23 PM »
Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres decided to test her studio audience. She told them they could each take one free souvenir. Unbeknownst to the audience, they were secretly being taped choosing the souvenirs. One woman initially took two items, but then put one item back & said she would buy it instead. Then Ellen showed two more women who who both took extra souvenirs together; for whatever reason, Ellen only called out one of them. Ellen said to that particular woman "Let that be a lesson to you. You think nobody's watching you & you just need to be a good person just because you want to be a good person", then told the woman to go sit in a tall Ellen Jail chair. Was it rude of Ellen to set up her audience to see if they'd steal ? (No legal discussions, of course) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn3AgNC2TSk

Well, I don't know that it was rude, but I also don't love it when comedians set people up to look stupid. Jimmy Kimmel does it all the time, as does Conan. They ask people about bands that don't exist, and laugh at them when they agree that they're good. They ask people geography questions to play gotcha when they don't know. Jimmy does the thing where he has parents film their kids disappointment when they give them a bad Xmas present or say they ate all their halloween candy. Personally I think it is lazy comedy. (yes, it can be funny, but then I feel icky afterwards.)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
I think if you are enough of a fan to want tickets to a talk show, you probably know that the hosts like to pull pranks.

AFAIK, it's general practice to get people to sign a legal waiver before you can air video of them, isn't it?

I think this counts as an opt-in situation.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »
I think if you are enough of a fan to want tickets to a talk show, you probably know that the hosts like to pull pranks.

AFAIK, it's general practice to get people to sign a legal waiver before you can air video of them, isn't it?

They show shots of the audience during the show.  I don't know that they have to sign waivers, but I'm sure it's expected that you might end up on camera at some point.

Dr. F.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »

They show shots of the audience during the show.  I don't know that they have to sign waivers, but I'm sure it's expected that you might end up on camera at some point.

Typically, you sign a waiver when you are allowed into the room to be in the audience.

Zizi-K

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »
That someone signed a waiver and believes there to be a possibility of simply appearing on a TV show is a far cry from being set up to be shown publicly as a thief or a person of dubious character. I doubt any of these people would have agreed to that in advance. No doubt Ellen is legally in the clear (her army of lawyers would ensure that), but this is not a legal discussion.

rose red

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
If they are fans of the show, I'm sure most of them only took one (other than it's the right thing) is because they know there's 98% chance they are being filmed. Maybe they didn't think they are filming to catch stealing, but perhaps to catch their joy or what items they choose. But filmed they will be.

EllenS

• My Author Page:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
If they are fans of the show, I'm sure most of them only took one (other than it's the right thing) is because they know there's 98% chance they are being filmed. Maybe they didn't think they are filming to catch stealing, but perhaps to catch their joy or what items they choose. But filmed they will be.

Yes, that was my point. Not the legality, but that the audience had ample notice (including from watching the show) that they were probably going to be filmed at all times, and that every situation (especially an unexpected situation) was very likely to be a setup for a prank or "gotcha" of some kind.

She was not accosting unwilling participants on the street, nor inviting people into her home as personal guests. They were on a working TV set, actively participating in making a show.

I would not like it (which is why I don't sign up), but I think it's fair game and not rude.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:44:57 PM »
My understanding is that this isn't the first time she's done something similar, so I think it's kind of caveat emptor when you agree to be an audience member.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 11:23:56 AM »
I can understand the thought that the audience knows that there is the potential that they may be the butt of the joke. But as a viewer, it didn't sit right with me. Nothing felt funny about it. I didn't think it was funny that she set-up her guests. I didn't laugh at the women stealing. And the woman's reaction (laughing at herself) didn't make me giggle either. But maybe my feelings are less about stealing and etiquette and more about my taste in comedy.

EllenS

• My Author Page:
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »
I can understand the thought that the audience knows that there is the potential that they may be the butt of the joke. But as a viewer, it didn't sit right with me. Nothing felt funny about it. I didn't think it was funny that she set-up her guests. I didn't laugh at the women stealing. And the woman's reaction (laughing at herself) didn't make me giggle either. But maybe my feelings are less about stealing and etiquette and more about my taste in comedy.

Oh, yes - there's quite a lot of stuff on TV that their fans seem to think is funny, or romantic, or deep, or intriguing, that I find appalling or just boring. And don't get me started about the unending sporting of the sports squads blaring in most family-friendly restaurants around here.

It's why I stream instead of paying for cable.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »

I don't care for a lot of her hidden camera stuff, either, I don't find someone else's embarrassment particularly funny.

lmyrs

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »
I mean, it's not like she deliberately misled them to make them feel stupid or had someone encouraging them to double dip. The guests broke the rules. The guests stole. It would be pretty precious for the guest to get the vapours over the etiquette violation of her crime being shown on TV.

MrTango

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 08:04:04 AM »
When dealing with any sort of media (TV, Radio, etc) there are some pretty basic rules that a person needs to follow:

1) The camera is always rolling
2) The microphone is always hot
3) Anything you say can (and often does) become public knowledge

With that said, I do think it's rude (but not unexpected) to put people in a situation just to see if they'll fail some sort of test they don't even know is being administered.

miranova

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
I am not a fan of any prank TV at all.  I almost can't even watch it and have to leave the room when other people are watching it.  I just don't find it funny and I'm always embarrassed for the people involved.  I don't watch TV to make me feel uncomfortable, so I avoid prank TV like the plague.  But of course, my personal preference is not the same as etiquette. 

I don't think rude is the right word to describe this, so I'll say it's not rude.  But I'd be more comfortable if we reserved public shaming for more serious offenses.  Just my opinion.