News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 06:27:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ellen DeGeneres: "Will my audience steal ?"  (Read 3867 times)

hjaye

Re: Ellen DeGeneres: "Will my audience steal ?"
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »
I remember watching a show once that was based on pranking people.  I only watched one episode and was disgusted.  They told a certain celebrity that they had been selected to run a segment with the Olympic Torch.  The man was thrilled and honored to be selected.  They filmed him running with what he thought was the torch only to run him into a dead end where there were cameras and the host waiting for him to let him know it was all a joke.

I didn't see one thing funny about it at all and felt so badly for that poor man.  He was really excited and it was beyond any level of mean what they did to him, and then try to justify it with, "It's just a joke"

gramma dishes

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 09:18:07 AM »
^^^  I agree.  That is mean and mean is never funny.

Twik

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
I am not a fan of any prank TV at all.  I almost can't even watch it and have to leave the room when other people are watching it.  I just don't find it funny and I'm always embarrassed for the people involved.  I don't watch TV to make me feel uncomfortable, so I avoid prank TV like the plague.  But of course, my personal preference is not the same as etiquette. 

I don't think rude is the right word to describe this, so I'll say it's not rude.  But I'd be more comfortable if we reserved public shaming for more serious offenses.  Just my opinion.

The only worthwhile pranks (tv or not) are those that leave the person pranked laughing the loudest. To do that, you have to judge both the prank and the prankee. Some people love it - others are humiliated.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
I remember watching a show once that was based on pranking people.  I only watched one episode and was disgusted.  They told a certain celebrity that they had been selected to run a segment with the Olympic Torch.  The man was thrilled and honored to be selected.  They filmed him running with what he thought was the torch only to run him into a dead end where there were cameras and the host waiting for him to let him know it was all a joke.

I didn't see one thing funny about it at all and felt so badly for that poor man.  He was really excited and it was beyond any level of mean what they did to him, and then try to justify it with, "It's just a joke"

That sounds just plain cruel to me.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

LadyBe205

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »

That sounds just plain cruel to me.

Years ago a local radio station had a "prank" segment.   They called a bride-to-be and told her that her wedding dress (that she'd hadn't picked up yet) was accidently ruined.   Of course she had a meltdown.   When they finally came clean, it turned out that one of her bridesmaids had put them up to it.  !!?!?!?!   How is that even remotely funny? 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:35:59 AM by LadyBe205 »

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
I think that would be reason enough to kick a bridesmaid out of the wedding, honestly.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Ryuugan80

• AO3 Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »
Ditto those that said that they dislike prank tv in general.

The only kind I like are the ones that are truly harmless. I remember seeing a clip of a man that went into a port-a-potty and while he was using it, some crew set up a break away conference room around it. So instead of stepping out into a park, he stepped out into a group of men in the middle of a normal looking meeting, looking at him super confused by his presence. No one is hurt (physically or emotionally), just innocent confusion until the reveal.
"Yo, those kids are straight up liars, man. All I told them to do was run product. And by product, I mean chewing gum."  - Lie to Me