News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 20, 2017, 02:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "This snack is only for my friend"  (Read 8895 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: "This snack is only for my friend"
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2017, 06:15:46 AM »
Saw this article today and thought of this thread:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4678772/Cookie-store-suspends-teen-paid-police-officer.html

Basically a teen working at a cookie shop buys an officer a brownie from his own wages.  A family behind the officer demands the teen buy their treats too.  When he declines they call him racist, threaten him and complain to management.  Teen is suspended from work.   When the incident gets a lot of press the company rescinds the punishment and apologizes to the teen.

Way to go, management! <end sarcasm>
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
Saw this article today and thought of this thread:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4678772/Cookie-store-suspends-teen-paid-police-officer.html

Basically a teen working at a cookie shop buys an officer a brownie from his own wages.  A family behind the officer demands the teen buy their treats too.  When he declines they call him racist, threaten him and complain to management.  Teen is suspended from work.   When the incident gets a lot of press the company rescinds the punishment and apologizes to the teen.

What amazed me in this story, before management screwed up got involved, was the entitlement of the customers behind the officer! 

Chez Miriam

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2017, 09:57:50 AM »

What amazed me in this story, before management screwed up got involved, was the entitlement of the customers behind the officer!

And the intention to use their fists to 'enforce' it.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

crazycatlady331

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
I have (unpaid) interns that are like Angela in my office.  My vice is Kit-Kat bars and I had some in the office freezer (they melted in my car en route-- in the colder weather they'd be in my desk).

I went to go grab one and it turns out my interns ate all of them thinking they were communal.  I cut them more slack because they are unpaid.  However they faced a very cranky crazycatlady because she didn't have her chocolate. 

(I'm also the only person in the office with a car and nothing is walking distance). 

I didn't like sharing food in elementary school and I don't like sharing food now.  I'm the glutton who claims a restaurant dessert for myself from the center of the table with 5 forks.  Call me selfish but my food is mine and what I do with it is nobody's business but my own.   

bopper

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »

I went to go grab one and it turns out my interns ate all of them thinking they were communal.  I cut them more slack because they are unpaid.  However they faced a very cranky crazycatlady because she didn't have her chocolate. 

Part of interning is learning about office norms...I hope you told them to replace them the next morning.

rose red

« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »
I have (unpaid) interns that are like Angela in my office.  My vice is Kit-Kat bars and I had some in the office freezer (they melted in my car en route-- in the colder weather they'd be in my desk).

They're not like Angela though. They made a mistake thinking the chocolate is communal. They're not hovering over your desk making PA comments while knowing it's your property.

bah12

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »

(I'm also the only person in the office with a car and nothing is walking distance). 

I didn't like sharing food in elementary school and I don't like sharing food now.  I'm the glutton who claims a restaurant dessert for myself from the center of the table with 5 forks.  Call me selfish but my food is mine and what I do with it is nobody's business but my own.

Hmmm...this doesn't really sound like Angela.  It sounds like they made a bad assumption and my assumption is that they now understand that food in the office refrigerator/freezer is not communal.  Being like Angela would be expecting that you would share the food because they can't process that life doesn't owe them complete and total equitability in all situations.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »
I have been in offices where *some* things were communal (ice trays, pitcher of water or tea - this was before bottled water & the water fountain was a long way down the hall about half the building away, and a bottle or three of various condiments - catsup, mustard, and possibly steak sauce or hot sauce).  The rest was usually a lunch in a bag with a name on it or "no name but if you didn't bring it, you don't eat it" being the expectation.

If there was an office party - the communal food was not "communal" until the part started, as sometimes people brought in a crock pot & plugged it in to let the food actually *cook*, not just reheat.

Other offices - you put your name on it and kept an eye on it, too!  Not that there were hungry unpaid interns - but there were people who didn't pack their own lunches, just bought a meal in a bag or had one packed for them & they didn't know what was supposed to be in there until they opened it...

Due to the size of only two regular fridges for around 150 people on that floor...I started bringing my lunch to work in an insulated bag with an ice pack in it & kept it at my desk.  My desk got cleaned up after I  moved into it - I never was sure about the two fridges in the office...overstuffed was the simplest description.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

meliboea

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2017, 03:32:45 AM »

Free chocolate? Did they think there were were interning at Google or something?  :o

I'm guessing if they think everything in the fridge is fair game, they're probably still living with their parents.  >:D

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2017, 03:48:46 AM »

Free chocolate? Did they think there were were interning at Google or something?  :o

I'm guessing if they think everything in the fridge is fair game, they're probably still living with their parents.  >:D

At my office everything in the fridge is fair game, unless it's labelled with a name.

... and free chocolate appears in the fridge at least once a month :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Chez Miriam

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2017, 04:05:34 AM »

At my office everything in the fridge is fair game, unless it's labelled with a name.

But don't you live in Denmark, MariaE?  Aka: the most civilised country on the planet?  It sounds like heaven on earth, and I would expect such a paradise to have free chocolate occasionally. :)

[Which reminded me, my subscribtion to Alexander Kjerulf's newsletter dropped off when BT changed by email addresses (again) without warning; I'm off the find The Chief Happiness Officer...]

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2017, 04:16:30 AM »

But don't you live in Denmark, MariaE?  Aka: the most civilised country on the planet?  It sounds like heaven on earth, and I would expect such a paradise to have free chocolate occasionally. :)

[Which reminded me, my subscribtion to Alexander Kjerulf's newsletter dropped off when BT changed by email addresses (again) without warning; I'm off the find The Chief Happiness Officer...]

;D I do indeed! And thank you for that :D

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

miranova

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
Back to the original discussion, this just seems like such a non-issue.  When Angela says "oh that sound delicious, I wish I had some", reply "yes it is" or "they are right down the street".  Ignore the hint entirely.