News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 20, 2017, 02:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dear Abby 7/9/17 Second Letter  (Read 1409 times)

pattycake

Re: Dear Abby 7/9/17 Second Letter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 11:10:13 AM »
Reminds me of a letter to Miss Manners. Someone received an invitation to a wedding shower. Handwritten at the bottom was " I regret that space does not permit your attendance."  MM said that she would probably have to be revived after receiving an invitation to not attend an event.

That's wow - like you sending me an invitation is obligation for me to send you a gift? I think not. I would like to think that my response would be something like returning the invitation with another handwritten note along the lines that I regretted then that no gift would be forthcoming.

Thipu1

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 02:54:33 PM »
Because of a prior experience I have to wonder if the Wedding invitation lottery may not have an ulterior motive. 

We registered for an 'extreme ship tour' on a cruise and were told that we were the first to register but, because actual participants would be chosen by a lottery system, we might not be selected.

Because the tour included certain sensitive parts of the ship (engine control room and access to food lockers in the kitchens) we figured out that participants on the tour would be chosen after a rather rigorous security check.

Is it possible that the 'lottery' for these invitations is a way of weeding out people the HC feel they must invite but don't really want to attend?

'Sorry, Aunt Bigota.  You didn't win a place in the lottery'.

BTW, we were chosen for the tour and it was spectacular.   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:08:35 PM by Thipu1 »

sammycat

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 05:47:16 PM »
Reminds me of a letter to Miss Manners. Someone received an invitation to a wedding shower. Handwritten at the bottom was " I regret that space does not permit your attendance."  MM said that she would probably have to be revived after receiving an invitation to not attend an event.

:o :o

gellchom

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 07:20:09 PM »

Oh my gosh!  How did the sender think that was somehow more polite than not sending an invite at all?

And it was for a shower, of all things.  This would be appalling for any kind of event, but for a shower, which is all about gifts, it really takes the cake. 

I remember when this letter was published.  I wondered then if it could possibly be true.  I still do!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »
Because of a prior experience I have to wonder if the Wedding invitation lottery may not have an ulterior motive. 

We registered for an 'extreme ship tour' on a cruise and were told that we were the first to register but, because actual participants would be chosen by a lottery system, we might not be selected.

Because the tour included certain sensitive parts of the ship (engine control room and access to food lockers in the kitchens) we figured out that participants on the tour would be chosen after a rather rigorous security check.

Is it possible that the 'lottery' for these invitations is a way of weeding out people the HC feel they must invite but don't really want to attend?

'Sorry, Aunt Bigota.  You didn't win a place in the lottery'.

BTW, we were chosen for the tour and it was spectacular.   

in this case, no. The letter writer was someplace and overheard a couple discussing who to invite and thought it would be easier to have a lottery. Letter writer isn't even involved in the wedding.