News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 12:22:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 2017 Gardening Thread  (Read 1738 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: The 2017 Gardening Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:44 AM »
I managed to get the rest of my tomatoes harvested.  Now I have to sort them and get the already ripe ones in the freezer for making sauce when I have time and leave the unripe ones sitting out to ripen.  And get those in the freezer as that happens.  The peppers got harvested, too, and the bean plants got pulled.  I missed out on a lot of beans because I didn't have time to pick them.  I've picked some of the old, tough ones that I was going to cook and chop up for throwing in soups and stews but I'm not sure that's going to happen, either.  They might end up feeding my composter...

I still have to dig the rest of the potatoes.  I'm leaving the beets, carrots, rutabaga and parsnips in the ground, harvesting as I need them.  I'll have to dig them before the snow flies, though.

I also have to dig the dahlia and canna lily bulbs that got touched by frost last weekend.  I can leave the ones in the pots for now but the ones in the garden are going to go all slimey if I don't get them cut off and dug up.

Over all, my garden did well.  I'm hoping for great things next year!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
That's a really pretty bush, ladyknight!

Update on the potato-leek-and-celeriac soup: it was lovely! And then I went back for a 'midnight taste' some hours later, and ended up having seconds, because after it's sat for a few hours it becomes glorious. The Good Ethnic Boy agrees (thank goodness the flavours he dislikes in the raw celeriac vanish when cooked!) and we're definitely going to be making this again, and trying more celeriac recipes.

Now I think I need to plant more...
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Chez Miriam

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2017, 04:41:32 AM »
That's a really pretty bush, ladyknight!

Update on the potato-leek-and-celeriac soup: it was lovely! And then I went back for a 'midnight taste' some hours later, and ended up having seconds, because after it's sat for a few hours it becomes glorious. The Good Ethnic Boy agrees (thank goodness the flavours he dislikes in the raw celeriac vanish when cooked!) and we're definitely going to be making this again, and trying more celeriac recipes.

Now I think I need to plant more...

I was going to post: "To me, it has a much "softer" flavour cooked - like a background extra depth, so I'm hoping he feels that way...", but I got overtakenby events [that belong much better in the Gross Out thread :-[ ]

I'm so glad to read your post that he did.  We think it's a marvellous vegetable, even if a pain in the hindquarters to peel!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Chez Miriam

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2017, 04:42:03 AM »
New additions this past weekend:

A jasmine bush
Firebush - Hamelia Patens

Mexican petunias - a special breed that does not spread and damage native plants
Opal basil

I get a plant delivery Friday and will report once they arrive and get in the ground.

Ooh, that looks lovely - I'm looking forward to more pics!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2017, 06:29:58 AM »
I had to check my expectations, since the large order that I placed for bushes and vines ended up arriving in a partial shipment yesterday as bare root stock and a tiny dormant plant. Not the fully grown lovely examples shown. I followed the instructions exactly, so I am hopeful.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2017, 07:21:43 AM »
I had to check my expectations, since the large order that I placed for bushes and vines ended up arriving in a partial shipment yesterday as bare root stock and a tiny dormant plant. Not the fully grown lovely examples shown. I followed the instructions exactly, so I am hopeful.

Fingers crossed that they all like it in your garden and grow well for you! And then you can feel extra proud of them, because they did the growing there under your care, instead of somewhere else. ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Chez Miriam

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 07:39:24 AM »

Fingers crossed that they all like it in your garden and grow well for you! And then you can feel extra proud of them, because they did the growing there under your care, instead of somewhere else. ;D

I've found that very often I can get small plants to establish better/easier than more showy specimens, so eventually the plant does much better than when I've bought the bigger pot/plant.

Yes, there is a sense of satisfaction that just buying the big ones as-is doesn't give me, too. :)